16 replies to this topic

#1 Montegue

Montegue

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 04:49 AM

I don't know that I'll ever go back to normal basing. Multibasing is amazing. Individual basing gives unit flexibility but the lower model count on a multi base means that may not be necessary. Anybody else enjoying this new aspect of the hobby? (New to me, anyway).

When I get more made I'll post them here. Feel free to post yours as well.

#2 jtrowell

jtrowell

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 07:44 AM

Only problem for me is that I have a lot of new models that I assembled but didn't glue on their base because I plan to multibase them, and as I am still not sure of how I will do it I am left with several units that I still cannot use in game ...  <_<

Well, blue tac can sometimes help  :P

Edited by jtrowell, 12 July 2016 - 07:44 AM.

#3 Atzcapotzalco

Atzcapotzalco

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 05:54 PM

Personally, I love multibasing just for the ease of play-it's so much easier moving a single 100*125 base than it is trying to move lots of single bases, or even a movement tray, since I'm not worrying about the models falling off or getting out of alignment. One of the things in KoW that, for me, really helps to keep the game flowing properly.

#4 The Peacemaker

The Peacemaker

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 03:32 PM

Oh yeah, multi basing is awesome. Makes gameplay smoother. Enhanceds creativity in the form of mini dioramas.

Only problem is that even a troop sized unit means i have to paint the models first and then glue to base. Otherwise there are lots of places you cant reach with your brush because other models are in the way.

#5 Ozariig

Ozariig

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 04:57 PM

Does anybody have any tips for storing/transporting multi-based units? The old GW hard case with foam trays for 28mm sized infantry was a pretty elegant solution for individually-based models. I'm just not sure what the best approach is for multi-bases.

Edited by Ozariig, 13 July 2016 - 04:57 PM.

#6 Thane Morgran

Thane Morgran

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 12:06 PM

I'm loving multibases for my KoM army. So far, I've found making the base out of reasonably weighty wood and putting them in a large shallow plastic box works well. Wouldn't want to catch a bus or ride a bike with models transported like that, but it's fine in the back seat or boot of a car.

#7 Montegue

Montegue

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 04:02 AM

Just pulled the trigger tonight. Decided to forgo any snow, use pulverized slate and winter tufts as flock, and it looks really nice. I'm having to freeze some of my models so I can safely pop them off their bases. I lost a couple of feet by trying to do it the hard way. In other news my display board is about to become somewhat obsolete and I'm going to have a lot of Dragon Forge Aztec bases available soon. 

In other other news, I have enough hammerers left over for a third regiment of Shieldbreakers or perhaps a couple troops. Another nice thing about doing regiments is that they fit together and then go into my old Horde movement trays perfectly. So, I can horde them, or have them in regiment form. Flexibility is good. 

#8 supergrimey

supergrimey

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 04:19 PM

Does anybody have any tips for storing/transporting multi-based units? The old GW hard case with foam trays for 28mm sized infantry was a pretty elegant solution for individually-based models. I'm just not sure what the best approach is for multi-bases.

Sure do.

Here is my carrying case of choice http://www.tablewar....tegories/Cases/ .

Given the above case I use http://www.tablewar.com/display-board/trays as the start.

I cut a metal sheet to fit in inside of the above tray, make sure it is magnetic.

Each multi based unit has plastic washers and magnets underneath.

Add together, ???, profit.

#9 Ozariig

Ozariig

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 04:35 PM

Thanks supergrimey! That's really helpful.

#10 supergrimey

supergrimey

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 06:35 PM

Here some pictures because why not...

The two types I do....

4qIq865l.jpg

Washers...

JZ6oUPRl.jpg

C6watsxl.jpg

Drill holes for magnets...

VgSpLfJl.jpg

2IOfYsIl.jpg

Tray...

nyuKpIZl.jpg

Metal plate cut poorly by me...

33lhVnel.jpg

All together...

9NI6mafl.jpg

Safe and sound...

DpV3bL1l.jpg

8etPHRgl.jpg

I am in no way affiliated with Tablewar or any other producer of these items.  I just really like the results I have achieved and will always be the first one in my gaming group ready to play and ready to leave.

#11 Montegue

Montegue

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 10:31 PM

I picked up some magentic business cards a while ago. You just peel away the paper and it's adhesive. Some super glue and bam. I used it to magnetize solid resin bases. It might be strong enough to simply keep my multibases steady, which is all I really need for transport. If that fails, I'll go ahead and get some pluck foam. I like your solution quite a bit, though. It might be more crafty than I'm prepared to do. 

#12 supergrimey

supergrimey

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 03:20 AM

Once I went magnet and trays I couldn't conceive of any other path.  It is a bit more work any money EVERY TIME you finish a model for sure though.

I would not consider this an option for non-car travel though.

#13 Montegue

Montegue

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 10:20 PM

Yeah, I don't  know how, if at all, I could fly with multibased models. I think I can fit them in a carry on, though. 

#14 BLOOD AXE

BLOOD AXE

Dwarf Of Legend

• Brewery Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,877 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 06:29 PM

Here some pictures because why not...

The two types I do....

4qIq865l.jpg

Washers...

JZ6oUPRl.jpg

C6watsxl.jpg

Drill holes for magnets...

VgSpLfJl.jpg

2IOfYsIl.jpg

Tray...

nyuKpIZl.jpg

Metal plate cut poorly by me...

33lhVnel.jpg

All together...

9NI6mafl.jpg

Safe and sound...

DpV3bL1l.jpg

8etPHRgl.jpg

I am in no way affiliated with Tablewar or any other producer of these items.  I just really like the results I have achieved and will always be the first one in my gaming group ready to play and ready to leave.

NICE!!

What are you using for the actual base itself?  What is the slate/stone on the slayers base?

Thanks.

#15 supergrimey

supergrimey

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 03:38 AM

The slayer base is actually http://www.ebay.com/...item439d9b0280 4 of those guys with some glue and ballast to fill in the gaps on a thin piece of MDF.  I then cut the back 10mm or so off to get the 100mm X 40mm dimension I was looking for.

#16 Old Bugger

Old Bugger

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 04:03 PM

I use plasticard cut to size, gravelled and flocked and then backed with self-adhesive magnetic sheeting for the whole base, which you can buy here in a4 size very cheaply. Transportation and storage is in biscuit tins ... this keeps my wife happy about my hobby as she love biscuits :P  

#17 Ozariig

Ozariig

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 09:36 PM

Biscuit tins! Brilliant!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users