#1 Bugman

Bugman

Master Dwarf Brewer

• Brewery Masters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,603 posts
Contributor

Posted 17 June 2016 - 06:51 PM

Another manufacture pledges 9th Age support, great to see so many companies seeing the vision that is 9th age!

We are very pleased to announce our support for The 9th Age project (T9A), with the creation of compatible miniatures and printed promotional material for Fantasy Battles: The 9th Age!

We believe that T9A is here to change the fantasy miniatures industry as we've previously known it, where creating miniatures for the mainstream fantasy wargame will no longer be exclusive to one company, but open to independent miniatures manufacturers.
The opportunity to develop compatible miniatures and printed material for the most played fantasy wargame is a VERY exciting one for AoW, so we are totally thrilled to jump on board! We hope more companies will bring their support to this great project and very much look forward to this new open era of fantasy wargaming!

To celebrate this move, we offer a very special deal on our latest release (and our first release in this new T9A era!) to members of the T9A website, by extending the Early Bird Special to registered members of the T9A website. This fantastic special edition contains 24 miniatures (the regular box will contain 16) and a free metal character from our Warriors of the Dark Gods compatible range!

For those not collecting Warriors of the Dark Gods, we offer also a 10% discount on the rest of the products in our 'The 9thAge' compatible range, so no matter which army you collect you will most probably find some unit or hero for you!

When ordering, enter your T9A username and your email address in the comments field so we will know that you are a registered member of the 9th Age forum.

Full details, pictures and360º views of this fantastic new regiment can be seen here:

http://www.avatars-o...d=118&Itemid=53

#2 Alebelly_Cragfist

Alebelly_Cragfist

Dwarf Of Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts
Contributor

Posted 17 June 2016 - 06:57 PM

Interesting...

#3 Ozariig

Ozariig

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 07:10 PM

Yes, very interesting. I never got around to trying out Warthrone, which is AoW's own spin on fantasy battle rules, but I did think it had some interesting ideas. I wonder if they are going to keep developing and polishing Warthrone or if they will come to depend more on 9th Age players for miniatures sales?

Personally I'm a fan of AoW miniatures anyway, I just wish they were sold locally.

At any rate, this is great news for 9th Age. Here's hoping for Hold Guardians!

#4 Alebelly_Cragfist

Alebelly_Cragfist

Dwarf Of Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts
Contributor

Posted 17 June 2016 - 08:20 PM

Investing in Warthrone was cheaper than investing in lawyers ;)

#5 Grim1

Grim1

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 02:47 PM

Nice minis but AoW  has a rep of taking the cash and then taking their time dealing with their pre-orders.... I hope that they don't take as long as they did with my vestals (witch elf). I almost gave up on them ever arriving.

#6 Ozariig

Ozariig

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 03:23 PM

Yeah, lesson learned on my Doomcrushers: they did show up eventually, but it took more than twice as long as they said it would. I think the company acts in good faith but has some serious scheduling and/or supply chain issues. Definitely safer to only pick up things that are already in stock.

#7 Aberrant

Aberrant

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 12:40 AM

yes, they recognized the mistakes in preordes however and announced not preorders anymore because of what you explain (around a year ago).

about 9th age I don't like the move because I am a warthrone player.

I am a big aow fan however, so I suppose it will be 9th age for me now B)

#8 Alebelly_Cragfist

Alebelly_Cragfist

Dwarf Of Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts
Contributor

Posted 19 June 2016 - 07:12 PM

There's been a few companies now show "support" for 9th Age. Which is great, but what I haven't seen is any saying they will develop a mini line exclusive for use with 9th, or minis that represent units/minis first appearing in 9th.

AoW, for example, make minis that are 100% compatible with GW. Their entire line has a race/unit that can be used in 9th, because, 9th was built around an extension of Warhammer and to keep players happy had to include each existing race and unit.

So, a fairly risk free strategy so far for each manufacturer stating "support".

What will be interesting is if/when one of these manufacturers starts to invest in 9th, creating minis that are arguably for 9th only.

#9 Ozariig

Ozariig

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 03:23 AM

What will be interesting is if/when one of these manufacturers starts to invest in 9th, creating minis that are arguably for 9th only.

Good post. I completely agree.

Edited by Ozariig, 20 June 2016 - 03:24 AM.

#10 Hod Flagonpounder

Hod Flagonpounder

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 01:06 AM

I was just on Avatar of War's English site and in the Store, all of their armies are now organized under their 9th Age army name. Seems like they're going full tilt. This almost smells like a corporate sponsorship--well done 9th Age.

#11 Montegue

Montegue

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,751 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 04:00 AM

I wonder how badly AoW might have been struggling. With an actual miniature company behind them, they might just get this thing to stick.

#12 Alebelly_Cragfist

Alebelly_Cragfist

Dwarf Of Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts
Contributor

Posted 24 June 2016 - 12:08 PM

Maybe, maybe not.

9th is there as an alternative to AoS, the 9th ed that many players wanted to see from GW.

These players had armies.

9th ed rule set is built and balanced with these existing armies in mind (predominantly).

Existing players will likely stick with the armies they have, at least for the short term. There's not a lot of immediate opportunity for AoW to flog armies, more of an opportunity to flog character models. They had this opportunity anyway.

The issue for 9th as a sustained gaming system long term is how to market itself with no income. Advertising costs money, websites cost money etc. Unless they license the IP to third parties of course. But that then depends on what this IP is worth and how many minis are sold off the back of it.

As 9th only has volunteer members, if it starts to make money through licensing, off the strength of new fluff - who owns it? The people that wrote it? The admin team? Would any resentment set in from talented and imaginative writers who essentially give over their skills for nothing? Hard to tell.

9th will either have to stay as a free Warhammer alternative rule set, or bite the bullet and go corporate. A middle ground will be very tricky to sustain and politically fraught. 

The short term reason AoW jumped was a far more significantly populated player base and no direct legal threat that was/is posed from GW on their mini range. It was a win:win:win.  Look like they're about the community and supporting the players, continue to sell their existing mini range off the back of a resurgence of interest in a "new" system, and avoid the legal bat as the 9th team can worry about any challenges from GW. Easy to see why they're backing it.

#13 Zidane_blade

Zidane_blade

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 02:35 PM

Hmm, but since the majority of the those who play 9th age are tournament oriented, and thus is likely to be active on the various Web sides, I wonder if it's necessary as such, to advertise as much for the game system. I mean, the ones playing it have developed it through the Internet, so perhaps they don't need it?

#14 Alebelly_Cragfist

Alebelly_Cragfist

Dwarf Of Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts
Contributor

Posted 24 June 2016 - 04:12 PM

We'll have to wait and see.

The best thing about 9th is it's balanced.

So, tournament players can use the armies which they prefer to play, whether that's play style or mini style. If they have a number of armies already (and most tournie players do), they don't have a major incentive to buy more minis, unless:

1 - A new AB is launched making one army more competitive than the rest

2 - 9th introduced new "must have" regiments that introduce power creep.

1 goes against 9th ethos. Armies should be balanced so new lists will no doubt be play tested before becoming official army updates/releases.

2 is an option to promote new mini units, but is likely to be few and far between, and also goes against game balance.

9th also has no official mini manufacturer (yet) stating that each player can use whatever models represent a unit closely enough to be recognisable. This again limits need to buy more minis.

So - the commercial attractiveness to mini makers wanting to back 9th will be attracting new players or convincing existing players to buy a new army.

New players will come if they know about a game, which can be promoted through web activity alone, but relies on people knowing which websites to frequent. Enter google ads, facebook ads, wargaming mag ads etc. All costs £££ to support. Not having this makes it a much slower burn. heroquest got me into wargaming. Yes, the world is different now but I didn't have anyone older than me already "in" the hobby. I needed a gateway game before entering the fringes of the community and finding my first GW store and a copy of white dwarf.

Existing players could buy new armies if they don't like the one they play with. But, that's a significant time and income investment which will put off many with a few armies already.

My hunch at least.

#15 Aberrant

Aberrant

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 08:28 AM

aow has announced to print of 9th age advertising pamphlets and posters that will be sent to stores for publicity outside internet.
if they do a starter set with dwarven holds vs warriors of the dark gods + rulebook that will be very good for attract new players

#16 Ozariig

Ozariig

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 10:01 PM

if they do a starter set with dwarven holds vs warriors of the dark gods + rulebook that will be very good for attract new players

I would totally buy that!

#17 Alebelly_Cragfist

Alebelly_Cragfist

Dwarf Of Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts
Contributor

Posted 27 June 2016 - 07:37 AM

It would. Could only be funded through Kickstarter though.

#18 Montegue

Montegue

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,751 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 05:42 PM

Shelf space in game shops is actually very important for the health and life of a game. Our KoW group is slowly growing in part because there's now a lot of shelf space in the city devoted to KoW models. If 9th age gets AoW to throw in, and distribution increases, you might get some sustained play outside of the already devoted ETC/Swedish/8th crowds. 

However, AoS is about to hit with points values, which *will* lead to organized play events and may even lead to a balanced Sword and Sorcery 40k game. It will be hard for 9th to continue to compete if AoS becomes a more relevant heir to 8th edition Warhammer. 

Meanwhile, KoW has a big following, low cost miniatures (criminally low, now with the pound bottoming out), excellent rules, balanced army lists, a vibrant and active company directly engaged with their community, and lots of support on into the future. 

In this big struggle to fill the void left by Fantasy, I see Kings winning out in the end, but that could just be hopeful thinking. We shall see. 

#19 Gotrong Gudmundsson

Gotrong Gudmundsson

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 09:14 AM

I don't think any of these companies will make minis that are for 9th "only". They've all survived in the past by making sure their models can be used for a number of systems- but it wouldn't surprise me if they do a unit in the future that's slightly more in line with 9th Age fluff/style (Some Sylvan Elf unit, perhaps?).

This is a win/win for everyone involved. Avatars of War is spread to a larger community, and 9th Age gets more recognition and a wider audience!

#20 Aberrant

Aberrant

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 11:23 PM

sunna 9th age personality is next sculpt form aow. work in progress here: http://www.the-ninth...6973#post346973

sunna_concept_lowres1.jpg

sunna_wip1.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users