Got the "I Swear too much" pounded out of me last night with a couple of different lists. I'm starting to see some cracks form in the army. My first opponent was playing Twilight Kin. His bolt throwers were better than any artillery (and cheaper) than we can put on the table. 48" range, 2 shots, 4+ to hit, piercing 2, and vicious (elite for regular elves). Even with using terrain and even models to provide cover, they were able to do damage the whole game. I seriously felt the lack of a flier in that game, so a winged someone is now probably an absolute necessity.
That game also included some big mistakes from me I need to trust my instincts for ensuring victory in a single charge and basically overdo it so that I don't get left hanging in the wind. At one point, I split brock riders and brock lord, reasoning I could pop a regiment of knights with the Brocks in a single turn and put wounds enough on a dragon with my Beast Slayer sword to possibly waver him. Both plans failed. That's more or less when it fell apart. Instead, I should have put the Brock Lord into the knights, popped it, then pivoted to put things in the front, and then countercharged after my high nerve berserkers held the line.
The second game really exposed some weaknesses (both in my skill and in the army). I played with the allies (dragon and some elohi) against rats. With three flame cannons and some lightining bolts, he was able to pull a unit of mine off the table every turn - brock riders, the dragon, etc. My other units couldn't kill enough to make up for the loss so it was a pretty good slaughter. Rats have excellent melee (their elite hordes are amazing, and slave regiments make excellent chaff) and shooting and access to spammable lightning bolt.
The weaknesses we have that I'm not sure how to overcome -
1) No very powerful heroes to provide a forward threat that must be addressed. No flying dragon hero, etc.
2) Little access to strong individuals with enough move to slip behind enemy lines and get into war machines efficiently enough to stop them.
3) only one hero can have flying in the army.
4) No access to a lightning bolt equivalent with the exception of the Boom Stick. Lightning bolts will tear anything and everything you have to pieces, even if it's D6. Hitting on 4s, piercing, etc.
5) Our shooting honestly kind of sucks. My bombards did produce some decent results in both games, but the unreliability of 5+ to hit and no way to make it better means that they tend to miss when it really matters, and only make up their points if the enemy fails to kill them before they can produce. Terrain makes it even harder for a shooting investment to really pay off.
I think we're stuck with our list as is for a long time to come. I hope when the Rules Committee is asked to look at 3rd edition they add some essential tools to the army. The King, for example, on the large beast is only N15 to pop. He's too easy to kill for his points, and he doesn't really provide a lot of offensive output, relying on TC to get any real wounds through. Sveri is good, but at 240 points and only D4 he's too squishy to be worth taking. Someone can just Lightning Bolt him off the board in a single turn and not worry about it anymore (H3 is easy to target).
We need a flying unit, I think, or we need to be able to make heroes fly somehow. I also think we need a heavy cavalry unit or a large cav unit.
Edited by Montegue, 26 May 2016 - 04:24 PM.