104 replies to this topic

#1 ThaneWill

ThaneWill

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,922 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 10:00 AM

You find yourself in Wilhelmsberg, the capital city of the small dukedom of Wilhelmsberg in south of the Empire, in the shadows of the mountains of Karak Norn and Karak Hirn. As you walk up the main road up the hill and pass through the stone wall of the city you see around you chaotic streets. You pass a freshly build temple with statuettes of Sigmar as you enter walk through the busy streets, you pass around the corner. Traders have set up their stalls in the streets here and on a big square ahead of you, but you're not here for trading. You're here because you heard the duke rewards the adventurers who take his bounties very handsomely and the prime contract is out on the streets. 

After passing through the market area, almost being robbed by someone pretending to be drunk and reaching for your gold pouch in the process, you arrive at a big, really big building made of fine grey stone with a very large and shiny metal sign that reads: "The Drunken Dwarf Inn". You see a big line of all different types of people standing in front of the door, through the door all the way to a single man sitting behind a desk. This is the place, the place were the duke's henchman provides groups of brave mercenaries, adventurers and gold-seekers of the 'prime' contract. 

As you step in line you overhear some other adventurers conversing. "It's a real shame the jousting tournament got postponed." someone who looks like a knight errant says. "Aye, but what's the duke to do. His royal griffon took of with his daughter, probably into the mountains. He can't go off jousting while she might be up there, cold, scared..... maybe eaten."

You suddenly feel goosebumps up your neck. A royal griffon. You have never faced such a threat before. But the thrill of the hunt, the promise of gold or the inevitable affection of the duke's daughter convince you to stay in line. Suddenly you feel a small hand tugging at your sleeve, or the rim of your chain-mail shirt. A group of three halflings or maybe children in filthy, hooded vestments of Sigmar seem to want your attention. Before you know it, you're out of the line, next to some of the others who have been pulled aside. Their leader shows you his amulet of Sigmar. "P-p-please s-sirs." He pleads. "W-we are in grave n-n-need of brave men." and they scurry off, pulling at your clothes and pleading more. "Please, p-please." You catch a glimpse of one's deformed nose. Fascinating.  

You did not trust it, at all. But in the heat of the moment you followed through. The halflings ran through the streets and into an alley, guiding you to their problem. Eventually, you reach an alley, next to the old, abandoned temple of Sigmar that has collapsed in several places. They point to a hole in the floor, which leads to the sewers. "D-down there, a big-big cocka-thing!" one of the halflings exclaim. You figure it's a small cockatrice, you've heard of young ones getting stuck in the sewage before, so you jump down into the filthy, but shallow water, it slowly seeping into your boots. Some fellow adventurers jump in beside you, you do not know them, but you guess they know how to pack a punch, they were willing to fight a royal griffon after all. You look up through the hole and see one of the halflings looking down at you. You see his oddly shaped face again, almost like a snout. It grins and shows his deformed teeth. That's definitely not a halfling, that's a demon of some sort. His evil beady red eyes glimmer for a moment and he steps away. Something huge, a bookcase most likely, is dropped on the hole. It's completely dark and you're now stuck....

That my friends, is the intro of my RPG 'Shady Dealings'. You are a group of adventurers, brought together by sheer bad luck or foolishness. You initially came for a big contract the local Duke has set up. Whoever retrieves his daughter from the royal griffon that escaped his prison and kidnapped her, would get a really handsome amount of gold and a lot of renown as he would be V.I.P. guest at the jousting tournament, likely leading to more contracts. But alas, you were deceived by evil mutants and are now stuck with strangers in the sewage of the city and you'll have to work together to get out. I'm looking for three to five (maybe a sixth if things suddenly get crazy) players. 

For this RPG I will be using a very simple homebrew set of rules based off 5th ed Dungeons and Dragons. After the players have created their characters I will send them a small list of stats in a personal message along with a list of their equipment. Nothing else. What everything means I will obviously explain in the personal message. You don't need any knowledge of Warhammer Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons, Pathfinder, or any role-playing system at all since the mechanics will be, as I said,  very simple. The exact numbers of rolls or other things I use to determine the succes of the characters' actions will remain invisible to everyone, including the players. Roleplaying and creative writing will be more important than mechanics, by far and can influence your succes. 

When you post, the post should be made up of two things. The roleplaying part, where you describe what goes through your characters head, what he feels and how he acts along with potential dialogue and the 'Action part'. In the 'Action part' you describe what you wish your character to do that the GM needs to determine a result for. Here's an example of the layout in the form of simple post based of what I'm currently doing:

Will paces around the rooms, thinking up a good scenario to throw his players in... Mhm, 'mutant' nemesises  seem like a good plan... Something about a big bounty, but the players get derailed and stuck in something EVEN BIGGER! Yes that's a good plan. Let's go!

Action: Write an awesome scenario! 

For this RPG I will set a minimum pace of one update a week, I might set a specific date for the update, but I haven't yet decided which day that would be. If the party manages to create a faster pace I will try to update more regularly. 

Signing up:

Now to sign up, you need to do nothing complicated: You just need to make up a character based on the sheet below. I'll be pretty flexible with what you want to play, I don't want to limit you guys to much, but it also shouldn't be to exotic. Three dryads, a northern bear-cavalry rider, a dancing skink and a warrior of chaos wouldn't make much sense in The Empire and the Worlds Edge Mountains. However, a dwarven hunter, an elven brewer, two human warriors and a halfling wizard would make perfect sense in this setting. You can think up anything really, as long as you don't make yourself to powerful. A mercenary, a adventurous traveler, a bard, a wizard apprentice, a dwarven ranger, a priest or ealdorman, an elven thief. Whatever floats your goat.  

Here's your sheet:

Player name: 

Character Name:

Race: Human/Elf/Dwarf/Halfling (other races are up for discussion, but these are preferred)
Background:

and a simple example of such a sheet filled in, based on a very simple character I recently created:

Player Name: ThaneWill
Character Name: Reed "It refers to my feet" Underbush
Race: Halfling
Physical description: Quite an average looking halfling, about the size of a child but with a full beard and curly brown hair all over his body. He wears some pieces of leather armor over his furs and green clothes. His hands, feet and lower legs are covered in dirt and his right arm is slightly scarred, probably while fighting of some wild animal. He has a bow and a quiver of arrows with red feathers. 
Background: Reed was a normal halfling, living a normal life in his town as the local huntsman. He is was still pretty young and would try to swoon all the halfling ladies with the trophies he'd gather from hunting and spent most of his money at the local tavern. However his life got completely flipped around when Orcs raided his village and he was forced to flee with whoever survived the attack. The refugees set up camp, unknowingly close to a bear's den. The bear killed some of them, but Reed managed to fight it off, only after being bitten in his arm. He now travels around, hunting and tracking for money, he found a new life on the road, further and further away from his place of origin.

I'll be glad to answer any questions regarding this RPG. Feel free to ask away. I hope I have everything cleared up though! Let's see what interesting characters we can create, so we can kick off this RPG for realsies. 

Have a day evening! ~Will

Edited by ThaneWill, 05 May 2016 - 10:02 AM.

#2 Glyfi Ironbeard

Glyfi Ironbeard

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 08:07 PM

Alright, here is my stab at a character for this RPG.  I hope to meet my peers' characters soon.

Player Name: Glyfi Ironbeard

Character Name: Krudd (The Wandering Dwarf)

Race:  Dwarf

Physical Description:

Krudd is a young dwarf.  He stands about 4’10” and weighs in at a lean 100 lbs.  His light brown hair is close cropped and his beard is bound with a single brass clasp as it barely extents down to his chest.  He has keen pale grey eyes that stare out from behind an abnormally large nose.  He wields a pistol and a hammer in combat.

Background:

Krudd is a dwarf bounty hunter who has worked for the last 5 years on various assignments around the empire.  His first contract was actually tracking down the notorious Dietric Gosler of Talabheim.  Any character that had passed through and especially lived in Talabheim in the last 5-6 years may remember hearing a rumor that Dietric had been responsible for the grisly murder of the merchant dwarf Kragg, Krudd’s father.

Krudd talks little about himself or his past, and has made his living roving the countryside between Talabheim, Stirland, and Averland tracking down missing persons and petty theives.  Since he was raised entirely within the empire, he has only second hand knowledge of Dwarf customs, ways, and mannerisms.  Seasoned travelers will note the Talabheim accent that Krudd has, if and when they can get the quiet dwarf to talk at all.

The dwarf prefers to keep to himself, nursing his pipe and quietly sipping his beer.  He shows little emotion other than the permanent scowl that men seem to attribute to all dwarfs.  When anyone talks with him, Krudd will attempt to give his made up title of The Wandering Dwarf instead of his name.  In fact, he goes out of his way to keep the name secret and refuses to say much of worth about his own past.

#3 Grim1

Grim1

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 08:54 PM

been a bit slow to do what was a simple edit.

Player Name; Gary or “Grim1” or “Grimgari” if you like.

Character Name: Kev "Quickfinger" Sandylock,

Occupation; Vampire Hunter/Scout/Mercenary Captain. a bit of all of these really without yet being a true master of any of them.

Race: Halfling

Description: Kev is a cheerful, charming and rotund halfling of middle age and average height.
He has thick, curly blond hair that dangles in ringlets around his chubby angelic face.
He has quite a way with sleight of hand/shortbow/ladies.
No one knows which of these led to the epiphet "quickfinger" but any would qualify as he is a halfling of many talents.
He hails from the Moot but hasn't been there for years.

Background:
Kev has been around for a while, starting out as a fieldwarden in the Moot.
After an "unnamed" vampire led an assault on his village, as he was away doing a tour of duty, he chose to leave with a group of his fellow villagers to hunt down the vampire responsible in revenge for losing several of his immediate family.
Travelling through the wake of ravaged villages the halflings picked up grieving hunters here, shepherds there, anyone wishing to revenge themselves on the vampire.... long story short, they do kill the vampire and turn his army of bones back into regular bones. The group suffering losses on the way but the core remnant of group have little left to live for, and no real home to settle in. 
The warband form into the South Stirland Sellswords, a migratory band of scouts of both halflings and men, and after many campaigns, numerous deaths and new recruits from everywhere they travel, Kev finds himself as the ranking officer... respected by man and halfling alike.
Glad to get away from the hubbub of the motley crowd, Kev has popped into town in order to find good work for the SSS… before getting himself into a spot of bother by being just too damned nice.

#4 ThaneWill

ThaneWill

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,922 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 06:51 AM

Both are looking good guys! I'd need at least 1 other player to start of and there are two more spots left after we've got our minimum of three players.

#5 Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Kro'undi

• Brewery Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,561 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 08:25 AM

Player Name: Bonecrusher

Character Name: Gunther Stonepounder

Race: Dwarf

Physical Description: Like all dwarfs Gunther is of stocky build, at 5'3" he is a taller dwarf. His name comes from his reputation to walk rather heavy footed. Clad in mail under his thick jerkin and steel re-enforced boots, stealth is not on his side.

His beard and hair is a dark brown, but has the uncommon feature of two blonde streaks that run from his temples. He carries mattocks, one with an axe blade and one with a hammer head.

Background: Gunther was raised in the dwarfen parts of Middenheim. As the people of Middenheim share a bond with that of the dwarfs he was more readily accepted than those in other parts of the empire. He joined the cities guard to train in combat and to re-enforce the respect dwarfs deserve.

Eventually with the desire to see more of his kinsfolk and perhaps the great halls of his ancestors, he set out upon his journey. 

#6 ThaneWill

ThaneWill

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,922 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 07:34 PM

I've send everyone some stats and equipment. Note that these are not of utmost important, I weigh in roleplaying a lot, it's just so I can personally make it easier when determining results when I need to, but I wanted to share them with you anyway. If you wish to request some items/stat changes you can do so this week, but preferably not later. 

Here's an analogy if you're not familiar with how the D&D stats work (note that we're not playing D&D, we're just using a very simplified version of it, so no worries)  :

Strength stands for physical strength: This determines how hard you can crush a tomato
Dexterity stands for aim and flexibility: This determines how good you can throw a tomato and how good you are at dodging thrown tomatoes. 
Constitution stands for physical resistance: This determines if you get bruised by being hit by a thrown tomato and if you can eat a slightly rotten tomato. 
Intelligence stands for things you know you can recite: This determines if you know a tomato is a fruit and that it contains vitamins. 
Wisdom is more applied form of intelligence: This determines if you know a tomato does not belong in a fruit-based salad and if you know how to grow a tomato.
Charisma is how charismatic your character is: This determines if you can sell a fruit salad with thrown and crushed rotten tomatoes in it and then convince someone to eat it. 

Also, the play thread is open for you to well, get to see who you're stuck with :P

Edited by ThaneWill, 10 May 2016 - 07:53 PM.

#7 Thane Wrok Bearslayer

Thane Wrok Bearslayer

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 04:28 PM

Player name: Thane Wrok Bearslayer

Character Name: Wrok Bearslayer (Wrok = pronounced almost like "rock")

Physical description: Wrok is a normal sized, male dwarf. Underneath his suit of armour he is very muscular (even for a dwarf). He has blond hair and most of the time wears his beard in two big braids. His shield which has been handed down for generations is uncommon, but it is said it has magical powers. This has however never been proven.It is rectangle shaped, and comes from to ground up to Wroks shoulders. The edge is decorated with bronze, while the middle is shining gromril silver. 
He wears 3 small axes, and has been known to throw one or two of them when the situation demands it.

Background: Wrok has been guarding the mines for quite some years, although he's still not an old dwarf. Clad in full Gromril armour he moves quite slow, even for a dwarf. He makes up for that with his incredible strength and stamina. He got the name "bearslayer" when he barehanded killed a bear that attacked him when he was wandering through the woods next to his hold in his younger years, by wrestling it to the ground and crushing its skull between his hands and the ground. 
The Thane part has not happened for Wrok yet, he will obtain this title in his later years.  
He left his hold to find his brother who went to the empire 5 years ago (being a good smith and gold-lover, he went there to make a fortune smithing for kings and lords) but no-one has heard from him ever since.

#8 ThaneWill

ThaneWill

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,922 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 09:08 PM

Also looks fine to me. Might need to proxy or tone down your armor, or compensate in other areas... I'll let you know when I give you your stats and introduce you next update or the one after that.

#9 ThaneWill

ThaneWill

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,922 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 09:43 PM

Grim I'd love you to not use the same "quote marks" for thought and speech. I think my english is pretty decent, but it's not my first language so I'm bound to get some of your thoughts mixed up with dialogue. Rather us these for 'thought' and these for "speech" for example.

#10 Grim1

Grim1

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 06:21 AM

ok, that sounds good.

#11 Alebelly_Cragfist

Alebelly_Cragfist

Dwarf Of Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,344 posts
Contributor

Posted 12 May 2016 - 09:59 AM

I promised myself I wouldn't get sucked in, but if there's a chance to take part, here's my character:

Player Name: Alebelly

Character Name: Krunki Cogshear

Clan: Cogshear

Ancestral Hold: Zhufbar

Occupation: Journeyman Engineer (definitely not expelled from Zhufbar's engineers' guild)

Physical Description: Apparently barely into adulthood, Krunki can just about tuck his coarse beard into his belt. He may be older than his whiskers would suggest as their ends show some impressive singe marks, no doubt helped by the lubricant oils suffusing his, what one would suppose when clean is a salt and pepper coloured beard. 

Krunki has no hair on his head, a fairly severe accident with a blowtorch in childhood melting his skin. There are very few signs of this disfigurement as his pate is covered in a heavy leather skullcap. The same accident caused the Engineer to significantly damage the sight in his right eye, which is now augmented by a dwarf-crafted monocle, a fusion of his father's true engineering mastery and a compassionate (if such a thing ever existed) Rhunki's skill with runelore.

Under all the pouches, packs and toolbelts that orbit his circumference, Krunki is of average height but stocky build, suggesting he may have spent a fair amount of time in the mines, or lifting heavy loads. (Krunki's father, to his shame, tried to encourage Krunki to abandon his clan's tradition of engineering and enter a career more suited to his clumsy nature, such as rock pounding. Krunki's love of black powder was having none of it).

Krunki is never seen without a smoking pipe in his mouth, quite literally never taking it out, even when eating and drinking. He says it helps him concentrate. The Dwarf has an impressive if alarming ability to sleep with it still in place, smoking away. The pipe is of his own invention and used as much as an incendiary device to light fuses as it is a smoking utensil.

Whether it is the smoke or his accident, Krunki speaks with a raspy, shallow voice quite unlike the usual deep baritone of most of his race.

Besides his pipe, Krunki's pride and joy is Betsy, his quad barrelled shotgun. It's design is lethal at close range, but is limited in accuracy at far away targets. Designed to be fired from the hip, its heavy build allows it to double as a not ineffective if crude hammer in hand to hand fighting. Betsy was devised and engineered by Krunki and is prone to the odd backfire, which he puts down to supplies of inferior black powder, not pure enough for Betsy.

Background:

Krunki is loved and feared by his clan. The last heir to his clan's great wealth, the elders had high hopes for him as he showed great potential as a beardling and a natural flair and fascination for all things mechanical. Unfortunately his Morgim-given gift of mechanical insight is somewhat countered by a heavy handedness and clumsy nature. 

His inventiveness truly borders the edge between genius and madness. What side he falls on depends on who you ask... many wonder in private as to whether he is not his uncle's son - his uncle, another engineering maverick that has not been seen since his early test flights with his new "supreme acceleration turbo-crank" (patent pending) on his Gyrocopter.

Krunki never talks of the accident that obviously befell him. He keeps his body well protected at all times, contradicting his near mindlessness when handling highly explosive concoctions. Supremely inquisitive, he loses all sense of fear for the wonder that is mechanics, more often asking "can I" than "should I".

Unlike many Engineers, Krunki is not content to perfect what has been officially sanctioned and patented by the Engineers' Guild of Zhufbar. He is truly progressive, his hero being Malakai Makaison (obviously before taking the "oath"). His experiments are viewed with distinct alarm, much the same as the occult is considered by others. It is feared that should he progress, one day Krunki's inventions will either herald a new golden age for the Dwarfs, or destroy it altogether.

An accident at one of Zhufbar's premier breweries was the last straw for the Guild. Krunki had been developing a new high pressure brewing process, promising to double both the strength and quantity of ale from the same amount of ingredients. The intense high pressures that were "absolutely necessary" for the process to work caused an explosion, destroying the brewery and causing a mountain slide that wiped out an entire year's crop of hops and barely. Fortunately, the Cogshear clan saw fit to have a half mile quarantine zone about the early test phases, so no Dwarf was killed, although a few were injured, physically and financially. A great petition from the Brewers guild to the Engineering Thanes asked for considerable reparations to be made and resulted, according to Krunki, being "asked" to "find a new, more appropriate location to perfect your craft". 

A deeply grieved, but somewhat relieved father gifted Krunki his monocle, so that he could see a clear path to his future and come back when his mastery of his craft was "safer, I mean, err, more clearly beneficial to all". The monocle was truly beautiful, although Krunki believes it to only help him see out of his poor eye. His father spoke at length of keeping it safe, so it could keep him safe. Excatly what he meant, he was unsure as his mind was already considering his next great invention.

Rather than fearing the loss of hearth and home, the sense of adventure and what new discoveries and materials Krunki could experiment with, without the sideways accusational glances from his peers, boosted his moral and resolve. Maybe if he could find his Uncle, or better still Malakai, they'd appreciate his great talents? The last he heard, his Uncle's test flight would take him near Karak Norn, so, he may as well head that way... As he turned to depart and wave farewell to the clan, Krunki tripped over his boot laces to the wan smiles and slow shakes of the heads of his clan.

Edited by Alebelly_Cragfist, 12 May 2016 - 11:47 AM.

#12 Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Kro'undi

• Brewery Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,561 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 11:22 AM

Why are you not wanting to get sucked in, we've had good RPGs in the past.

#13 Glyfi Ironbeard

Glyfi Ironbeard

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 11:29 AM

Yay Alebelly! I've always enjoyed your company in these RPGs so am glad you decided to get "sucked in."

#14 Alebelly_Cragfist

Alebelly_Cragfist

Dwarf Of Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,344 posts
Contributor

Posted 12 May 2016 - 11:32 AM

We have. But since then I've had 3 beardlings (inc. twins) 2 and under and a far more demanding job to try and pay for them!

I enjoy RPGs so much that I find myself thinking abut them when I really should be working towards one of many many deadlines, lol!

I'll join in, but longer updates may have to wait for the evenings ;-)

Edited by Alebelly_Cragfist, 12 May 2016 - 11:33 AM.

#15 ThaneWill

ThaneWill

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,922 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 11:33 AM

Looks good to me Alebelly. Your gun has a lot of potential for some house ruling (including a misfire chart >: D). I'll get you in with Bearslayer. Glad you're here

#16 Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Kro'undi

• Brewery Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,561 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 12:16 PM

We have. But since then I've had 3 beardlings (inc. twins) 2 and under and a far more demanding job to try and pay for them!

I enjoy RPGs so much that I find myself thinking abut them when I really should be working towards one of many many deadlines, lol!

I'll join in, but longer updates may have to wait for the evenings ;-)

Congratulations, my eldest daughter is about to become a big sister to two more girls.

#17 Alebelly_Cragfist

Alebelly_Cragfist

Dwarf Of Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,344 posts
Contributor

Posted 12 May 2016 - 01:12 PM

Wowzers! Huge congrats, Bonecrusher - twins are great, but very hard work!

#18 ThaneWill

ThaneWill

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,922 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 01:37 PM

Congrats Bonecrusher! 

You're both so old :') 

#19 Alebelly_Cragfist

Alebelly_Cragfist

Dwarf Of Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,344 posts
Contributor

Posted 12 May 2016 - 01:40 PM

Indeed we are, Beardling!

#20 Glyfi Ironbeard

Glyfi Ironbeard

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 03:36 PM

Kids are truly a blessing. I'm just glad that my two came in single doses. Must say, you both are better men than I if you can still find time to game, or even get a nap, while taking care of twin newborns/babies/toddlers.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users