• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 evendel

evendel

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 01:05 PM

Short time lurker and long time beard admirer and enthusiast.  Glanced through the dwarves through the ages post about the models and realized easily more than half of my stuff (mostly unpainted still :( ) comes from the early days of my dad and I getting into the hobby in the mid-90's.  The old Anvil of Doom on wheels, Queen Helga, etc.  With the ending of a world and the forging of a new I felt that it was time to try modelling and painting again and I had an idea....that I cannot for my beard find any help figuring out.

It doesn't hurt my desire to start painting again the GW is having a "Dream Army" contest with part of the prize being a $3300 USD value spending spree across their model range online.  So I started thinking and cogitating and I had an idea I wanted to try for a model/army.  The basic modelling framework is all hammers all the time.  We're dwarves (duardin)!  Sons of Grungni!  We forge things!  So...how do I make my hammers look red hot like they've been IN the forge?

There's all kinds of tutorials and guides and hints and tips on NMM and power weapons and lightning patterns...and all of it for use on swords and spears and axes!  Nothing for the venerable hammer, a tool for both creation and destruction!  The gall...I swear the internet must be run by pointy-eared elves (aelfs) that they should look so disdainfully on such a fine weapon.  So I come to the Brewery in the hopes that a veteran might be able to show us how to get the glowing, red hot forgefire appearance...specifically on a hammer.

#2 Alebelly_Cragfist

Alebelly_Cragfist

Dwarf Of Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts
Contributor

Posted 24 April 2016 - 06:41 PM

Google image search is your friend, or a blacksmith.

I'd imagine that the hottest (therefore white/yellow) points would be the rims / edges  of the hammer. The closer you get to the centre of the hammer head, the cooler it would be and therefore reds turning to blacks.

Something like:

molten_zpsemhfnzln.jpg

molten2_zpslza5ncdo.jpg

Edited by Alebelly_Cragfist, 24 April 2016 - 06:50 PM.

#3 evendel

evendel

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 11:46 AM

That might help, I'll have to work carefully on my layering to get it all right.  I finally found the image I had seen to give me the idea in the first place, and while he has skill I wonder if I can do a cleaner version.  If I could only figure out how to post an image saved to my computer...probably need to get a free image hosting account somewhere?  Anyway, his Facebook page (where I found the image) is https://www.facebook...goNiksWorkshop/and in Photos they are about 1/3 of the way through 2015.

#4 Alebelly_Cragfist

Alebelly_Cragfist

Dwarf Of Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts
Contributor

Posted 25 April 2016 - 12:09 PM

This help?

http://chestofcolors.../lava-tutorial/

#5 evendel

evendel

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 10:33 AM

It just might.  Now I just need to wait for my new paints and some time to try it out.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: weapon, painting, fire, forge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users