#1 marky

marky

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 10:15 PM

Hi all,

Been a while since I was last here, as I wasn't excited about any game system. I have the enthusiasm to turn my fantasy dwarfs into a balanced fun KOW army, but I don't know where to start (been a while since I started a new game!).

What size first game should I try to play?
What should I put in my first propper list? Which models should I use to represent my new list? (Have lots of every unit gw made apart from hammerers and iron breakers).

Cheers for your help :)

#2 supergrimey

supergrimey

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 01:37 AM

What size first game should I try to play?

- I would start in the 750 to 1000 point game to start.  It will give you a limited number of choices but still give you some variety of unit types.

What should I put in my first propper list?

- http://kow2.easyarmy.com/ is a great place to start with list building, if for nothing else it won't let you make an illegal list.

Which models should I use to represent my new list?

- Whatever you want man, there are some rules about the minimal number of models to represent a unit.  The main thing to remember is that each unit in the army has a base size defined for it., so go nuts.

#3 Skull Krusher

Skull Krusher

Skazastoki

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,525 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 05:31 AM

The group that I game against has run several campaign lasting ten weeks.  Then the play offs.  All games are 2,000 pts each.

#4 jtrowell

jtrowell

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 08:11 AM

This older thread should give you some ideas on how to use your existing Warhammer models in Kings of War : 

http://www.bugmansbr...rom-wfb-to-kow/

(don't stop at the first post, there are many more ideas, like in post #7)

One thing to remember is that the important things in KoW is not the individual models, but that the whole unit looks appropriate for its profile so there is not confusion about what unit it is and that it has the correct footprint (so you can get with less or more models than the official number as long as it look good).

Also, remember that artefacts can be equipped on normal units too, not only heroes, so it's an additionnal way to customize your units, and very often when there is a specific model that you want to field but don't find an appropriate profile, the solution is taking an existing unit and adding an artefact (and/or using allies)

For exemple some peoples might use longbeards to represent ironclads (the basic dwarf) with the blessing of the gods artefact (give the elite rule, representing that they are veterans), while others might prefer to give them the brew of strength, or use the longbears as another unit appropriate for the models, as long as there is no confusion (don't use different versions in the same army), it should be ok.

For the gyro, some people like to use a pack of several as an allied flying unit (often elven drakon riders), sometimes with the diadem of dragon kind to give the unit a breath attack.

Myself I like the idea of a ranger captain with the wings, so you get a vanguard flying unit with a small ranged attack that support your rangers (the gyro being themed as a scout/support unit there).

#5 silashand

silashand

Living Ancestor

• Brewery Masters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,806 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 06:12 PM

I wouldn't be too intimidated. KoW is really simple to learn. The challenge will come in learning how to manage your army on the tabletop which is where KoW shines.

#6 Grim1

Grim1

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 01:22 PM

like silas said, it is so easy to learn the rules, but the strategy is different to wfb and will take a while to sort out.

I have taught quite a few people now and everyone I taught was pleasantly surprised.

1st charge is massive, dwarfs lack maneuverability... and countercharges are necessary to arrange well if you play dwarfs. 

#7 Miles The Mighty

Miles The Mighty

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 07:28 PM

One big tactic that wouldn't work in WFB that you should think about is having troops of IronClad sitting in front of your punchy units.  When the IronClad die, their units are now super vulnerable to your attacks.

#8 Grim1

Grim1

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 11:38 PM

another is the screening force that moves through your shooters when chargers come into range. 

#9 billycapgun37

billycapgun37

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 12:05 AM

Honestly, I'd start small with 1k or so, and just make a list. You'll find that things don't work quite the way they did in WHFB, and that's ok. It's really fun to organically come to conclusions about units. So honestly, take some stuff that seems fun and have a good game with a buddy. Kings is an amazing system and I look forward to seeing how you like it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users