• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 veterannoob

veterannoob

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 10:17 PM

Returning to the forum and while overseas studying I picked up Fyreslayers while my WHFB dwarfs sit home in storage. Great event two weeks back and now prep for April larger tournament in Sweden.

First time posting here so hopefully I do this right.
Only 20, not enough models to do an alternate sideboard
Rune father on magmadroth
Rune smiter
Battle master
Rune master
3 x grimwrath Berzerkers
2x 20 vulkite berzerker with musicians
10 auric Hearthguard
5 Hearthguard Berzerkers

#2 Dunn Rimmerson

Dunn Rimmerson

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 07:15 AM

It looks like a good list with lot of units that will get the work done.

By the way, where is this tournament in Sweden and who is holding it? I´m from Sweden myself :)

#3 Zidane_blade

Zidane_blade

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 08:26 AM

Three grimwrath is brutal, but awesome 😄
Really excited to hear about the event in April!
If this is your model range, I suggest, for a future purchase, to get a few extra hearthguard berzerkers and form the vulkites into a big unit of atleast 27-28.
The ability to deliver a mortal wound on a three plus is just awesome. Combined with a hero or unit which enhances either your attacks or to hit rate would be gold for these guys.
Vulkites over 20 models strong grant us, the Dwarven edition of phoenix guards. An awesome unit to use as anchor.

Are you going pure fyreslayers or would you be willing to couple them with regular duardin?

#4 veterannoob

veterannoob

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 12:22 PM

Three grimwrath is brutal, but awesome 😄
Really excited to hear about the event in April!
If this is your model range, I suggest, for a future purchase, to get a few extra hearthguard berzerkers and form the vulkites into a big unit of atleast 27-28.
The ability to deliver a mortal wound on a three plus is just awesome. Combined with a hero or unit which enhances either your attacks or to hit rate would be gold for these guys.
Vulkites over 20 models strong grant us, the Dwarven edition of phoenix guards. An awesome unit to use as anchor.

Are you going pure fyreslayers or would you be willing to couple them with regular duardin?

@Rune. It the Fantasia Fanatic twice yearly event in Umeå. I'm here studying until May and they have WMC, 9th age (never tried yet), AoS, 40K. Tickets for both days only SEK 300. Held at a school auditorium, gym. We just had another tourney a few weeks back and that was my first time using clash comp, or any official comp.

@Zidane. Thanks for the tip on unit size. I guess I'm still thinking in 10s;) I like the Berzerkers. While abroad I brought no fantasy because I left soon after AoS drooped and thought I'd wether the storm and come back to what's left. So once Grungni duardin come out I'll see. Maybe an alliance. But I've still yet to ever ally in any game ever sci fi or fantasy because I never have room to fit my guys in;) so solo Fyreslayers is still my intent and I think is fun. But looking forward to seeing the duardin.

#5 veterannoob

veterannoob

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 06:09 PM

Update based on current models as I paint the army. Looking for any input or advice :)

I have:

Rune son of magmadroth

Rune smiter x 2 for tunnelling
Battle master
Rune master

Runeson on foot

Runefather on foot
3 x grimwrath Berzerkers
2x 20 vulkite berzerker with musicians double weapons for re-roll
10 auric Hearthguard 
10 Hearthguard Berzerkers 

I'm thinking main list for the games without any subbing will be

Rune smiter
Battle master
Rune master
3 x grimwrath Berzerkers
2x 20 vulkite berzerker with musicians 
10 auric Hearthguard 
5 Hearthguard Berzerkers 

...,but the Runesmiter with tunneling is boss as I learn more and I can see a game where I MUST be on other side of board for objectives or even just rear attacks so taking double smiters, one to take hearthguard flail berzerkers and the other the magmapikes to shoot from behind, maybe even free up a monster for the berzerkers to chime in.

Anyone experimented with runesmiter tactics so far?

#6 Forgebellows

Forgebellows

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 05:09 PM

I keep going back and forth on the Runefather on Magmadroth or on foot. I'm planning on running him in a group of Hearthguard Berserkers and on foot he gives them a 5 inch pile in and they take wounds for him. With the ability to pile in and attack a second time from the Lords of the Lodge formation, I think the 5 inch pile in is even more beneficial. Also, if you run a Grimwrath in there with them, he benefits too from the 5 inches on his second pile in and attack. What do you think?

#7 veterannoob

veterannoob

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 09:09 AM

It is god I think for when you have a sideboard. Matches may not need that and thus miss out on better spent points. Though this could also be great for propelling yourself across the field at archers or a combat army where you need to go first.

#8 Forgebellows

Forgebellows

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 01:19 PM

Good call. In my mind I'm always mulling over the deadliest combinations as if that's the only consideration.

#9 veterannoob

veterannoob

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 07:49 AM

The flexibility is key to us because we have so few options if we stay solo. Only three units and each buffs differently. I need to add a second unit of or more Hearthguard Berzerkers for when the mystic shield/terrain makes 2+ armor saves and I need mortal wounds ...now! :) I'm liking it test out their Hearthguard berzerker formation with extra pile in and attack.

#10 Forgebellows

Forgebellows

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 08:30 PM

I'm building mine with flails currently. I'm planning on running 20 in Lords of the Lodge with my Runefather and Battlesmith bunkered inside.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fyreslayers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users