• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Miles The Mighty

Miles The Mighty

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 04:08 PM

Doing a little theorycrafting/listbuilding.  Also trying to get a fledgling Ogre force off the ground by starting by using them as allies.  Looking for thoughts, feedback, concerns.  I'll post the list and then my proposed strategy.

Dwarfs:

20 Berserkers (Slayers)

20 Shieldbreakers (Hammerers)

40 Ironclad (Warriors) + Brew of Strength

10 Rangers (Rangers)

10 Rangers (Rangers)

10 Rangers (Rangers)

10 Rangers (Rangers)

10 Rangers (Rangers)

Flame Belcher

Flame Belcher

Army Standard Bearer

Army Standard Bearer

Berserker Lord (Dragon/Demon Slayer) + Blade of Beast Slayer

Ogres:

6 Berserker Braves (Bull Ogres with spikey fist things) + Chant of Hate

Warlock (Firebelly) + Fireball (12) + Fire-heart Amulet

Strategy/Tactics:

Vanguard move rangers forward 6" and form a line across the middle of the battlefield.

Turn 1 move Berserkers, IronClad, ShieldBreakers, and Ogres up 1" behind Rangers.  Army Standard Bearers, Warlock and Flame Belchers move up in between the infantry blocks. Berserker Lord anchors one end of the line next to the Berserkers.

Wait for the enemy to get the first charge.  Rangers pepper with crossbows until they rout, then have a big punchy block to serve up a fist sandwich to that enemy unit.

#2 jtrowell

jtrowell

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 10:53 AM

Ironclads with the brew of strength would be better srepresented by longbeards.   :innocent:

I was going to say that you lacked both decent long range shoting and fast units (usually you need at least one of them to be good to compensate for a lack of the other) , and then I saw the five rangers units, it's an interesting idea to make a heavy use of their vanguard move to put the pression on your opponent since turn 1.

#3 Miles The Mighty

Miles The Mighty

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 09:28 PM

I've been thinking of Ironclad as Warriors and Ironguard as Longbeards.  Yeah, I'm hoping to use the rangers as medium-long range pressure to get my opponent into range, let the rangers die and then charge back in for vengeance with the big units.

#4 Montegue

Montegue

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 03:37 PM

The rangers are really excellent all around troops. They move at a 5, shoot well, have CS1, and pathfinder. I think they're one of our strongest utility infantry choices. Groups of 10 make excellent flankers and chaff to put in front of large units. You can use vanguard to get a little bit ahead of the game in terms of controlling ground, as well.

#5 supergrimey

supergrimey

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 05:03 PM

The rangers are really excellent all around troops. They move at a 5, shoot well, have CS1, and pathfinder. I think they're one of our strongest utility infantry choices. Groups of 10 make excellent flankers and chaff to put in front of large units. You can use vanguard to get a little bit ahead of the game in terms of controlling ground, as well.

Seconding this assessment of the Dwarf Rangers.  No other unit has the utility of the rangers by a long shot. 

The only thing I would add is that I would advise against using rangers as chaff, 135 point troop is a bit expensive compared to a 70 point Ironclad troop.

#6 Montegue

Montegue

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 04:50 PM

Yeah, they aren't cheap. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users