#1 BlackThorn

BlackThorn

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 06:53 PM

A few games under my belt.
KOW is a fast paced, cleanly written game.
Not encountered any truely broken builds. (Wraith flying circus is a pain but nothing that can't be countered)
Games have felt balanced, barring outstanding luck. Winner tends to be the one who makes the fewest mistakes.
It's way less "gamey" than Warhammer. Feels a more strategic game. Shooting and magic are support, it's combat which is king of KOW.
Enjoying the move into KOW, purchased more models and painted more in the past 3 months than I did since AOS launch.
KOW Tournaments in the pipeline. All good stuff.

BlackThorn

#2 Gorrin

Gorrin

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 07:31 PM

Apols for the short reply...but agree. Agree and agree.

#3 jtrowell

jtrowell

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 08:22 AM

Welcome to Kings of War ! ^_^

#4 Bimli

Bimli

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 01:16 PM

Yes I agree the game is fun... Not a big fan of the models but at least we can use GW mini's for the game so many similarities... yet no gyro and I have 6 :( the sadness is real

#5 jtrowell

jtrowell

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 04:05 PM

There are several options if you want to field your gyros, if you really have 6, one possible might be as an unit of Talonriders from the Forces of Nature list, they fly and have a ranged attack.

Variant : an unit of elven drakon riders (or basilean elohis) with the diadem of firekind to  give the unit a breath attack

For a lone gyrocopter, you can usually manage with something like a ranger captain with the wings (fly and ranged attack, and the ranger abilities make sense for a scouting small flying machine)

#6 Bimli

Bimli

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 04:12 PM

True they can be used for other armies but I wish the dwarfs had gyros... and yes I have 6 gyros :) they were the best thing ever in 8th edition won me many a games in the older tourney scene ah the good old days 

#7 silashand

silashand

Living Ancestor

• Brewery Masters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,806 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 07:35 PM

purchased more models and painted more in the past 3 months than I did since AOS launch.

Yeah, I have done more fantasy gaming and model purchases since moving to KoW than I have in several years for WFB. Feels like a breath of fresh air after the brokenness and army book creep of Warhammer. JMO...

Only thing I really miss for the Dwarfs are gyrocopters. Personally I think they should have included something along those lines. Oh well...

#8 Miles The Mighty

Miles The Mighty

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 07:57 PM

purchased more models and painted more in the past 3 months than I did since AOS launch.

Yeah, I have done more fantasy gaming and model purchases since moving to KoW than I have in several years for WFB. Feels like a breath of fresh air after the brokenness and army book creep of Warhammer. JMO...

Only thing I really miss for the Dwarfs are gyrocopters. Personally I think they should have included something along those lines. Oh well...

Maybe this is sacrilege, but I always felt like gyrocopters were a bit of a flavor mis-match for the WFB dwarfs.  I'm just happy to finally have some cavalry and big monsters.  Being 100% infantry and war machines was getting a bit boring.

#9 BlackThorn

BlackThorn

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 04:33 PM

My gyrobomber (Converted Zeppelin) has found a home as a Iron Behemoth.
Loving the Earth elementals in KOW. Thanks Titan Forge and Rasti for the great models. (Dwarfs had golems in Stone & Steel, shame GW developed rules/ models)
Cavalry from Assault Group, fits perfectly with my oop range.
Loving it, all good.

Blackthorn

#10 Grim1

Grim1

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 08:51 AM

love it, though I must confess that I play as twilight kin...

I found that the dwarf extra speed was great, but I hated how poor our warmachines were.

My favourite thing though is that I can get a whole load of minis down on the table, and still manage to play a game in 2/2.5hrs.

#11 silashand

silashand

Living Ancestor

• Brewery Masters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,806 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 06:17 PM

My favourite thing though is that I can get a whole load of minis down on the table, and still manage to play a game in 2/2.5hrs.

Agree completely. For the number of figures on the table a comparable 3000pt WFB game would have taken 3-4 hours likely. KoW is usually done in half that I have found.

#12 BlackThorn

BlackThorn

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 07:39 PM

Good call, KOW is more mass battle than Warhammer. Mantic has managed to produce a game which has a cleaner, slicker rule set with more units on the board.
My 2,000 point goblin army has a 20+ unit drop.

BlackThorn

#13 Grim1

Grim1

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 10:58 AM

I also hated in wfb the way that units, even horde units could do loads of wheels every turn.

In KoW, one 90 degree pivot if you go slow, if you go fast you have to go straight.... unless you are nimble or can fly. I love this.

Also I love the devastating effect of flanks and rear charges. Just like in historical records, they are extremely effective.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users