#1 Gorrin

Gorrin

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 12:19 PM

Hi all,

Cry for help. Have a 1500 to 2000 points game against orcs in 2 weeks.

Has anyone played against orcs that has any good tactical advice?

Are there any surprise nasties I might encounter such as my last undead opponent who brought 3 vampires on undead dragons and turned the "mass battle" game into MTV celebrity death match?

I'm a little wet behind the ears with kow mechanics. I maneuvered my opponent into a position my first game where I had units of rifles in his flank and rear ready to unleash volleys at point blank range only to discover that hitting at 1.5 inch range is the same roll as hitting at extreme range if he was a speck on the tabletop horizon. Any help is appreciated.

Except that help that says "did you read the rules properly" I've read hundreds of of rulesets in my time and this is the first I've come across that makes point blank missile file as difficult to hit as extreme fire!!

Many thanks.

#2 Gorrin

Gorrin

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 03:46 PM

I shall head in alone then!!

#3 Southern Dwarf

Southern Dwarf

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 03:16 AM

I've never played against Orcs, so I didn't respond earlier as I had no practical experience to offer.  I can give some theory though.....

Orcs appear to be a run-up-and-smash army.  With little in the way of shooting, they have to close the gap fast, and hope that their army-wide Crushing Strength will tip the fight. They do have heavy cavalry and the Winged Slasher to try to force flanks and get in behind. Their Spe 5 means they'll likely get the charge over everything apart from Rangers, Beserkers and Brock Riders.

The key to fighting them as far as I can see, is to either wear them down on the way in (if you have quite a lot of shooting), or if you don't take war engines (I dont') is to absorb the initial charge, and win the grind. Iron Guard and Elementals, with their De 6+, are good for this. Also try to use obstacles and difficult terrain so that his charges are Hindered; -1 to hit goes a long way.  Try to angle your line so that when he charges, he exposes his flanks. Even an Ironclad regiment can do quite a bit of damage with a flank charge. Elementals can also hopefully get some flank charges in with a bit of Surge (remember, you only need 2mm or so of contact for it to count as a flank charge.)

The Dwarf King with Honeymaze can also hold up a regiment of Gore Riders for several turns, possibly unhinging the Orc battle line. 

Orcs have a low Nerve value apparently, so while they hit hard, they aren't so good at being hit back. I like Battle Drillers and troops of Shieldbreakers, as well as a Beserker Lord on a Brock. These are normally on rearguard duty, to protect against flyers, but if there aren't any Krudgers on Winged Slasher, they can slip into the battle line and help put those extra few wounds on your opponent to hopefully rout a unit.

Other than that, I have nothing really to add. Like I said, it's all theory, but this is how I would fight your typical Orc army

Cheers.. 

#4 Gorrin

Gorrin

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 10:22 PM

Thank you sir. Think my game is a week Monday.

#5 Montegue

Montegue

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 02:58 PM

So, Orcs have really good combat troops. They all have crushing strength, they have solid defense, and they have good to-hit numbers. You really need to feed them small units so you can set up a powerful combo charge. You can take out their war drums, which will take a bite out of their Nerve. Remember they're Monsters, so the berserker lord with the Beast Slayer sword is a perfect way to take them out.

#6 Gorrin

Gorrin

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 07:51 PM

Hi both. Thanks for the advice. It's really appreciated.

I have to admit. Monday's game was my most enjoyable yet. Narrowly beating an incredibly minor defeat to a goblin force.

I'll post pics below, but please note my list is determined mainly by what I have painted rather than the "best" units.

I knew my opponent was bringing at least 2 regiments of cavalry so I brought a pike unit (bulwarkers) and gave my iron guard the amulet of thorns essentially making them a stupidly hard to kill pike unit.

I deployed the pikes on the flanks but as the game was objective based I placed a troop of be servers on my extreme left table edge and a troop of rangers on my right. My centre was left to right - horde of ironclad. Regt of rifles. Regt of shield breakers.

I placed a greater earth elemental on the left. Threatening the flank of any cavalry charge on this side of the field.

Ultimately...my centre broke. I refused my left and drew his cavalry onto my pikes. He damaged them with a double attack but next turn my stone giant smashed a regiment of boar riders in the flank and wiped them out.

Centre got drawn into a protracted scrap. The oblique nature of my refused left meant he got a horde charge into the rifles and they broke.

Centre ebbed and flowed for 3 turns but some high rolling on the orc part meant my stone giant, pikes and clad horde routed on turn 6.

In the end we held 3 objectives each. But he won on casualties inflicted. Iron guard are unbroken in 5 games. Rangers and be servers also survived.

#7 Gorrin

Gorrin

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 07:55 PM

Watching the greenskins approach...
gallery_12975_1217_4477628.jpg

The stone giant hides in the woods.
gallery_12975_1217_4469793.jpg

#8 Gorrin