32 replies to this topic

#21 Southern Dwarf

Southern Dwarf

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 08:28 PM

I like the King, because his De 6+ means he can fly into a unit of knights (including Soul Reavers), and hold them up for several turns. Very useful for stripping the Thunderous Charge bonus off a unit.  In my last tournament he did this in about half the games (4 out of 8), while in the others, he targeted archer hordes.

Plus 5 attacks means he's less likely to fluff his attacks; even then I've had him fail to do a wound, which is normally unpleasant for him.

#22 billycapgun37

billycapgun37

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 03:43 PM

I find that you definitely have to set up for counter charges. We'll never get the first charge, so we have to raise our shields, and set up to counter attack. 

I like to use a regiment of ironguard alongside a horde of shieldbreakers and give units a big decision to make. Do I attack the shieldbreakers and take the ironguard in the flank or vice versa?

Plus shooting. 

#23 punkisntdeadyet

punkisntdeadyet

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 04:53 AM

From my own experience, I've found that just putting down loads of Hordes of Ironclads have been better than Ironguard. I'd probably only use Ironguard to protect a weak flank, but their nerve is so low I've never found them too survivable. I feel as if there are too many things that have access to Crushing Strength or Thunderous Charge that the De 6 hasn't been too strong. 

I also really like the Horde of Shieldbreakers with Sharpness. My personal go to for punking units. 

I haven't played in awhile, but I'm curious to see how this develops. I noticed you dropped the Organ Guns. Not worth it anymore? 

Good luck! 

#24 Montegue

Montegue

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 08:11 AM

The organ guns may come back.mi was trying to focus on melee units but I think they add enough area control and threat to keep,around.

#25 Grim1

Grim1

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 06:58 PM

I would say that you should overcome your lack of mobility with allies.

I would pick a horde of elohi and an ur-elohi or a reg of elohi and a high pal on griffon.

proxy with gyrocopters and a gyrobomber. 

they self inspire.... and i wouldn't use the heal button in order to maintain the fluff.

#26 Montegue

Montegue

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 05:46 PM

I've considered a dragon kindred lord and a troop of drake on riders as well. I'll probably try it in my next battle, whenever that may be.

#27 Grim1

Grim1

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 10:43 AM

people don't mind the proxies I've found.... but they will just be sick of you using dragons and other flyers against their flyers.

#28 Miles The Mighty

Miles The Mighty

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 05:10 PM

So, I haven't been able to overcome my most regular opponent's undead list. It's pretty simple - 

2 Regiments of Soul Reaver Cavalry. One has +1 Move, the other has Caterpillar

2 Troops of Werewolves

1 Guy on an Undead Dragon (Armor)

1 guy on a Zombie Dragon 

Vampire on a horse (sword of slashing)

2 Troops of Ghouls

Is it just me or is this not a legal list? (Maybe someone has said this already)

From what I can tell he's got:

2 Regiments

4 Troops

3 Heroes

That's 1 hero too many by my counting.

EDIT: Someone posted the actual list later on.  I retract my statement.

Edited by Miles The Mighty, 17 February 2016 - 05:16 PM.

#29 Grungimusic

Grungimusic

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 08:19 AM

My games of Kow have been unsatisfying, it really seems like we have very little answer to heavy cav/monster lists. The cannons and mortar are a complete waste of points. The organ guns are good, but since you can't pivot and shoot it's easy to arc dodge them. The hallmark of kow is homogeneity, but they seemed to do this in dwarves by tossing us a token cav unit, nerfing artillery into the floor, but not giving us tools like flying monsters as other armies have (no a flying lord doesn't count).

#30 Grim1

Grim1

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 03:19 PM

Allies, gyros as flying allies.... that's how they achieve game balance in my opinion. 

#31 supergrimey

supergrimey

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 01:40 PM

My games of Kow have been unsatisfying, it really seems like we have very little answer to heavy cav/monster lists. The cannons and mortar are a complete waste of points. The organ guns are good, but since you can't pivot and shoot it's easy to arc dodge them. The hallmark of kow is homogeneity, but they seemed to do this in dwarves by tossing us a token cav unit, nerfing artillery into the floor, but not giving us tools like flying monsters as other armies have (no a flying lord doesn't count).

Agree with this issue.  My solution to flying / fast enemies has been Elementals.  Granted giving Dwarfs Elementals is NOT the same as providing flying options, but it helps alleviate the shortcomings we have.

My Strategy:

Against the majority of opponents, Dwarfs will be out maneuvered (this isn't always the case as some armies need unit cohesion to present a battle line), especially how I tend to play them. 

To overcome being out maneuvered I have adopted a few counters;

(1) Field your army as a cohesive group when playing Dwarfs.  Yes this sounds easy enough, but planning and executing advancement with 2000+ points of bodies on the field requires some practice to NOT open up flanks and rears.

(2) Anchor your line one with deterring targets.  This is where Elementals come in big time, Def 6+ and a 360 degree surge option should keep anyone at bay.  Other options would be a somewhat reserved units of rangers or berserkers to deter would be flankers.

(3) Berserker Lord mounted with Blade of Beast Slaying thing.  The lord gets a 16" 360 charge, which should cover a reasonable portion of the battle field.

Wow that was a longer post then I intended, but yes I agree that Dwarfs are missing some tools that other armies get.

#32 jtrowell

jtrowell

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 09:50 AM

Heavy cav (I suppose that we are are still talking about the soul reavers ?) and heavy fliers are two different matters with their own counters.

For the fliers, I advise you to look at the following threads on the official mantic forums :

1- Reminder of the fly rule, its potential and limits, plus general tactics :

http://vb.manticforu...i-flyer-tactics

2- Exemple of an army build taking heavy fliers into account, but still a general balanced army, it's a goblin army, but the general strategy can also works very well with dwarves (replace the tromblones with flame canons and keep the general idea)

http://vb.manticforu...-goblin-example

Also a general reminder : you are slow, so accept that you opponent will get the first strike, simply make sure that whatever unit he charges, you will be ready to make him pay with at worst other units charging back to avenge the fallen.

Remember that fliers (and vampires) are very expensive in points, so against an army that is using them heavily even dwarves should have the numbers advantage. If you opponent bring 2 hordes of elohis, for the same points you should be able to bring 3 hordes of elementals and still have a few points left (or other heavy hitters). Bane chant is also a great way for you to add some offensive power where it is needed the most, especially against def6+ units (soul reavers or a dragon hero with the magic armor)

#33 jtrowell

jtrowell

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 09:55 AM

Also about war engines, you eitheir take just one or two as a random potential bonus, or you take a batterry of 3+ canons or artillery to get an average of one hit per turn. 3 canons or bombards will almost certainly kill at least one soul reaver unit per turn on average, putting a lot of pression on your opponent.

About the bombard, note that with indirect you can fire over the head of normal infantry on target like the soul reavers (height 2) or dragons (monster so height 4) without any modifier (indirect ignore cover), so you can still protect the artillery with some cheap troop in front (or maybe put them behind your main battle line infantry, with some reserve unit ready to charge a flier that would try to jump over them. simple rifle troops backed with a bombard batterry should make an area where soul reavers and most fliers don't want to go, especially if you have the rest of your army nearby ready to charge them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users