9 replies to this topic

#1 Montegue

Montegue

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 04:10 AM

I've been using two key individuals lately. First is a King with the Wings of Honeymaze. Second is a berserker lord in a Brock with the Blade of the Beast Slayer. Without a doubt, the berserker lord is easily one of my star players every game. There is always a monster or large model to kick in face with his Blade. His individual ability and his threat range make him an ideal backfield protector, especially against pesky dragon riding heroes. When he goes into combat alongside a regiment of Brock's, he tends to add several wounds to their total, often pushing them over the line into a single round route.

The king with wings is less powerful, but more utilitarian. Not only can he fly over to where he can inspire, but he an also easily get into an enemy's backfield and beat up on a ranged unit that's give me fits.

Anyone got any other individual choices you use?

Edited by Montegue, 10 January 2016 - 04:11 AM.

#2 punkisntdeadyet

punkisntdeadyet

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 06:33 PM

Just a quick question, have you ever found the lack of Defence on the Berserker Lord on the Brock a liability? I really like the character too, just never got around to trying it out recently. 

I really like the Flying King too. What are you using to model it? 

#3 Atzcapotzalco

Atzcapotzalco

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 09:30 PM

The berserker lord occasionally suffers from mediocre defence, but only really in that you have to a bit more careful about using it as a blocker than with the king. While it takes attrition, -/17 with inspiring is a pretty good nerve value, so it can absorb a lot of hits. True, there are units that can stack up that damage quickly, but there are also units that can easily punch through a kings Def 6+, and as an individual, particularly a movement 8 one, it isn't too hard to avoid the worst units. As I said, something to be aware of but not a major weakness.

I use most of the individuals in the list myself depending on what other units I have, with the exception of the Warsmith, since cannons have been crowded out of my roster by all the other things I want to include. Most commonly, I end up with one each of King, Berserker Lord, Stone Priest, and Ranger Captain.

The King and Berserker lord are both good support models, but I've always felt that the wings are too many points on a hero best used in support of other, non-flying, units. My berserker lord is also sometimes on foot to save points, and because I really like that model. I like to haver one of each, but if I'm not bringing berserkers I find it hard to justify a berserker lord over a second king.

The Stone Priest is a brilliant support caster, with Surge on elementals giving my army a vital edge in close quarters manouvering, and Bane chant giving the units that need it an edge. Bane Chant is also particularly good with a lot of the units I use that have lots of attacks but limited CS, most notably Flame Belchers, Rangers and Berserkers. I've also found rangers work best in pairs of regiments with a Captain along to provide relatively cheap vanguarding inspiring, while Herneas for additional cost also provides reliable wounds at range or melee. 

#4 supergrimey

supergrimey

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 03:11 AM

Anyone got any other individual choices you use?

Ranger Captain, Wings of Honeymaze.  20 inch vanguard, 20 inch 360 degree charge.  Great tool for chasing war machines, smacking wizards, or just disrupting shootings / thunderous chargers.  He won't kill units for you, but he will give you a lot of options.

#5 jtrowell

jtrowell

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 08:37 AM

This last one is in addition a very good option for a gyrocopter model :

- Fly

- Inspire rangers (having air support means that they are not alone on the front)

- has a small ranged attack

#6 Montegue

Montegue

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 02:22 AM

Just a quick question, have you ever found the lack of Defence on the Berserker Lord on the Brock a liability? I really like the character too, just never got around to trying it out recently.

I really like the Flying King too. What are you using to model it?

I use a gyro for a flying King. Reaper has a berserker riding a boar in their war game line of minis. I tend to find his lack of defense to be troublesome, but his job is to chomp monsters and to help shatter units of large critters. C3 vicious with 8 attacks and a 16 inch charge range is amazing. He tends to make his points back.

#7 Southern Dwarf

Southern Dwarf

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 08:50 PM

So far I've found that three characters are vital;

• King with Wings of Honeymaze, as discussed above.  I prefer him to the Beserker Lord or Ranger Captain with Wings, because his De 6+ and high nerve make him able to tank a knight regiment and shut them down, sometimes for the whole game.
  • Beserker Lord on Brock with Beastslayer. Also as discussed above, he is excellent for backfield defence against those flying/fast monsters.  He teams up with 1 or 2 battledrillers and troops of Shieldbreakers.  At least two of them are able to get to that Dragonlord, Daemonkin or Varnagur King on Chimera etc. It really starts to limit your opponent's options, and those 8 attacks at CS(3) make a lot of difference.
  • Standard Bearer with Healing Charm. The Charm is a bit hit-or-miss, but for 30 points you're likely to heal around 10 damage over the course of the game, which isn't too bad and can save you a unit (and therefore the other units around it). He's going to stand there being Inspiring anyway, might as well get him to do something else.  And Healing stacks very well with high Defence units like Ironguard or Elementals.

Otherwise, if I'm taking Elementals, I feel you have to take a Stone Priest with them for the Surge (and you might as well take Bane Chant too). If I'm not taking Elementals, a second Standard Bearer is good for the Inspiring, possibly with the Boomstick if points allow (though this is definitely pricey).

I've never tried a Ranger Captain, though I always seem to take two Regiments of Rangers, who are good versatile troops.  A Warsmith doesn't seem very useful to me, sadly (I have 5 painted Engineers from my Warhammer days.....)

#8 Montegue

Montegue

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 04:41 PM

I think the Stone Priest with the Inspiring Charm is a good substitute for a Standard Bearer if he's got Bane Chant. Bane Chant is the essential buff of the game. Our Ironguard units don't have any CS unless we sacrifice D6, but if he's neraby he can make them a real threat to a flank. I like the healing charm standard bearer, though, and may take one in my next game. I've had sucess with giving my standard bearer the breath weapon, too, making him into a mobile flame cannon. 

#9 lordgoober

lordgoober

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 04:16 AM

Warsmith + 2 Organ guns = 1 flank you can probably say fire and forget about.  

#10 billycapgun37

billycapgun37

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 04:17 AM

I've used the mounted king to great effect as with the flying ranger captain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users