• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Baratheon

Baratheon

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 05:04 PM

While my short army nears completion as far as painting goes I started thinking about what to do with the bases.

Some sort of rocky base would be nice I think, but I wouldn't mind snow or ice either. Maybe a mix of both. Of course the easiest thing would be to just put some grass on them but I really think it looks odd with dwarfs on grass bases (rangers being the exception, maybe).

What do you have on your bases? Any cool ideas or tips? Anything?

#2 hoegaarden

hoegaarden

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 04:06 AM

Real stones are cool - I keep a wide variety around to finish off a base. A step up is to carve rocky terrain out of house insulation foam. Lots of fancy bases available for purchase, but homemade custom ones are awesome. I forget who was doing the broken mosaic styled bases here, but they are some of the best designs I've seen. Good luck

#3 Strongbeard_Liam

Strongbeard_Liam

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 05:15 AM

I've started on rocky but mostly grassland. My thinking was my dwarfs are marching out to war....

#4 Thorgrimmir

Thorgrimmir

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 09:41 AM

I use snow planly, too planly perhaps... Though adding little rocks or cork and painting it like atone gives them quite a snowy mountain feel

#5 Baratheon

Baratheon

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 02:26 AM

Hmm yeah I found lots of interesting bases out there but none of them were perfect. Guess I'll buy some if and when GW starts selling dwarfs with round bases. For now I'll probably just settle for icy rock since that would fit my soon-to-be polar bear from Sciborminiatures. Hoegaarden do you just glue the stones as they are or do you paint them?

#6 Ozariig

Ozariig

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 09:56 AM

I like using pieces of cork sheet. It's shapeable and has a nice craggy texture.

You can see my wasteland-themed basing scheme in the link in my signature. Or, check out this gallery of Chaos Dwarfs to see a more volcanic theme.

#7 Kallstrom

Kallstrom

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 11:53 AM

Some say that if you are to use real rocks it looks better if you still paint them since the realistic look of the rock might look off compared to the painted miniature next to it. ;)

#8 Baratheon

Baratheon

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 01:21 PM

Wow those look awesome Ozariig! I was also under the impression that having similar bases for the models army adds to the overall feel.

Yeah that's kinda what I was afraid of Kallstrom... *Sigh* Back to painting rocks I guess :thumbup:

#9 Coalhammer

Coalhammer

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 04:37 PM

I think, Lava/Volcanic bases look good.

Im going to try and do a few when I purchase the fyreslayers.

There was a good tutorial on the GW advent calendar videos. Day 11 i think

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dwarf, bases, basing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users