38 replies to this topic

#1 evanger

evanger

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 08:20 PM

I got my copy of the hardcover rulebook in the mail today (I live in MN, USA, and ordered it on Oct 28...so it took awhile!)

The book is very nice. Small format (a bit surprising, but fine) hardcover, very nicely bound. Full color interior, lots of nice art and photos, good overall weight and feel, clean layout, well-designed.

Can't beat a single tome for all rules and all armies-- can't help but think the ally rules and having all the stats for all units will help sell more minis in the long run.

You can dabble in secondary, tertiary, etc armies, using a few first units as allies for your main force(s) to begin with.

Haven't played a game yet, but I like the restricted unit sizes and the concept of not messing around with single minis as wound markers.

Well done on the book, and the rules in general, from what I've read in the free downloads!

#2 jtrowell

jtrowell

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 10:27 AM

Welcome to Kings of War.   ^_^

#3 Von Doom

Von Doom

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 10:38 AM

Yes wlcome to KOW !!!

#4 Krudd Kraggsson

Krudd Kraggsson

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 03:06 PM

I agree, it's a quality product. Kudos to Mantic.
I'm now looking forward to Uncharted Empires.

#5 mattjgilbert

mattjgilbert

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 05:32 PM

Which was released today :)

#6 Thorniusmaximus

Thorniusmaximus

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 07:50 PM

Which was released today :)

Delayed in Australia :(

#7 Montegue

Montegue

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 09:20 PM

Ill be picking up my copy of the new book some time soon. Hopefully will have some free time over break for more games. 

#8 BLOOD AXE

BLOOD AXE

Dwarf Of Legend

• Brewery Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,877 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 07:05 PM

Im waiting on Uncharted Empires......still in the mail....

#9 silashand

silashand

Living Ancestor

• Brewery Masters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,806 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 05:45 AM

I pre-ordered UE and I got an email saying it just shipped Dec 2. Hopefully it will show up here in a week or so. Been playing quite a bit of KoW lately. Extremely fun system and *sooooooo* much more balanced than WFB. Granted, I do miss some of the customization and other elements of Warhammer, but overall I am more excited to play KoW than I have WFB in a really, really long time.

#10 Krudd Kraggsson

Krudd Kraggsson

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 09:36 AM

Agreed silashand.

Uncharted empires is good. Perhaps a bit lightweight - it is just the armies. I'm a little disappointed that they didn't add much to the overall world fluff (though more armies do expand it). But this disappointment is only because i'm comparing it to the very high standard set by the main book. And i still haven't read it all to be fair.

#11 mattjgilbert

mattjgilbert

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 10:44 AM

With all the little fluff snippets in the unit entries and the write ups for each army, there's about 21000 words of new background in the UE book IIRC.

That's actually tons more than Mantic expected us to write. The book was supposed to simply be army lists and not a lot else ;)

#12 Krudd Kraggsson

Krudd Kraggsson

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 01:43 PM

Well its good that you got that stuff in - i'm all about the fluff. Btw i do still like it Matt, sorry if that sounded negative. Im loving all things KoW at the moment. Just by comparison to the main book its not AS good haha. But then its only £10, which is a total bargain!

I think tbh I'm mostly a bit disappointed because i was planning on doing a nurgle themed warriors army (using the awesome AoW range) before AoS hit, so i was hoping to continue that into KoW. But I'm struggling to see how i can include all that i wanted to in an equivalent Varangur army. Still trying to figure it out. If not I guess I'll have to start a new dwarf army instead - poor me.

#13 rudedog

rudedog

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 03:46 PM

So I played two games with the Ratkin on Sunday, using the new Uncharted Empires book list ( I wanted to wait until there was an Official list out, that’s how I roll).
And man I had a good time.  I was able to use most all of my Storm Vermin models (something I’ve never been able to do).  And to think I almost sold that army!

As usual, there is a knee-jerk reaction to anything new that makes a player say “OMG, that’s sooooo powerful, it’s broken!” 
But after some reflection (and a second game), you can see that it’s not that bad.  Mankind has a tendency to fear what is unknown, but once understood, it becomes a luxury, and a luxury soon becomes a necessity.

The invention of the Pike changed warfare as we knew it, and the armies that used it were a terror on the battlefield.  Unit some enterprising young general said “Hit ‘em on the side.”  But that could be said about any weapon.

I think what I truly like about KoW is how balanced it seems to be.  I’m still shocked every Sunday night, after a day of playing, at how un-lopsided
the games are.  But as with anything involving ‘taste’, that’s just me and my opinion.

Just my 2 cents...

#14 Krudd Kraggsson

Krudd Kraggsson

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 09:52 PM

I agree. But the real master stroke of KoW is to make the armies balanced AND to keep their unique feel.

#15 silashand

silashand

Living Ancestor

• Brewery Masters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,806 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 01:06 AM

Just got my UE book today - W00t!!!

#16 BLOOD AXE

BLOOD AXE

Dwarf Of Legend

• Brewery Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,877 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 06:13 AM

Got mine too. Good stuff!

#17 Grim1

Grim1

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 07:40 AM

got mine on sunday, and spoke to one of the rules committee at a small tournament.

the armies look good fluff-wise and add a few new challenges. The armies have been play-tested by the forum community for a while now.

My concern is the spammy lists, I think that some limits should be applied to stop 1D rule-bending shennanigans that spoil the tournament scene.

My first battle was against a 3 dragon elf army with drakon riders and knights to boot. I narrowly lost that battle by a couple of hundred points, yet it left me losing 14-6 on tournament scores after battle 1.

The committee guy said that they are looking to get an update to twilight kin and get 2 more armies in as well in the near future.

could one of these be the orientals??

They are also considering tournament rules for the community to opt-in to for friendly games if they want to.

Edited by Grim1, 08 December 2015 - 07:40 AM.

#18 jtrowell

jtrowell

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 10:15 AM

We know of a future supplement that should include the three following major factions :

- (evil) Twilight Kin (final revised version)

- (neutral) Ophidia (the other big human empire after primovantor, humans with undead and djinns servants, descended from a splinter faction of the Empire of Dust that are trying not to repeat their errors and abuses)

- (good) the Northen Alliance (ice elves with northen humans, ice trolls and giants, and ogres mercenaries according to the fluff on them in the core rulebook)

Note that orientals armies can already be done with existing armies, KoM for exemple has many options :

- Samuraï with katana => Foot guard with great weapon
- Ashigaru with spear => spear or pike unit
- Ashigaru with naginata => pole arms block
- Mounted samuraï => Mounted sergeants (Samurïas don't really fit the heavy knight cavalry style)
- Mounted samuraï archers => Mounted scouts
- etc ...

... You also have arquebusiers and bowmen, some kind of rocket artillery  might use the artillery profile, and so on ...

Using allies can also bring you things like Oni (Ogres) or Bakemonos (Goblins and/or orcs ? Mabe the Herd ?)

#19 BLOOD AXE

BLOOD AXE

Dwarf Of Legend

• Brewery Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,877 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 03:31 PM

I hope another Kickstarter is in the near future to fill in the gaps in the miniature line.

#20 garetvarr

garetvarr

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 04:18 PM

Mine hasn't arrived yet, I'm getting a bit miffed especially as it appears others are getting theres, its been 8 days now. i only live in Wales its not the other side of the world. Quick enough to take the money pity there not to send my order. :angry:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users