Photo

The Hunt For Facts! Dwarven Holds And Halls.

fluff

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 IrishIronGutt72

IrishIronGutt72

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 05:49 PM

Hello Dwarfkin. I am writing a story and I am writing it from the point of view from a humble beardling of the Engineer Clan of the Hold. And I am lacking in some details. Some of them are, The Measurements of a Great Hall/Gallery of a Deep. The process of creating great Halls and Gallery's of a Dwarven Hold. Now I know a some what detail of how halls and chambers are made. Such as, "Most halls and chambers have been formed by the miners following great veins and mining them clean, and this will lay the rough foundations for most of the Great Hallways and Gallery's of Dwarven Cities." Any and all fluff and detail information would be greatly appreciated.

#2 Torendil Zharrgrund

Torendil Zharrgrund

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 01:52 PM

Some good fluff sources are older army books, they have a lot of flavor in them.

Other then that, look for the old fluff book "Stone and steel". It has a huge amount of background material in it on all things dwarven!

#3 Founder of Kazad-Grund

Founder of Kazad-Grund

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 03:57 PM

The Great Hall of Karaz-a-Karak is large enough to fit a human city in and it's entire cealing is adorned with precious gems that make it glitter like the star constalations of a night sky.

It is supposedly the largest of the great halls, modify the rest accordingly.

#4 Granitbeard

Granitbeard

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 04:18 PM

For sizes of many different halls and such, just think about really really big things, then think of something bigger.

#5 Rooster

Rooster

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 04:34 PM

That gets you an entrance hall!

Hmf. Beardlings!

#6 Skull Krusher

Skull Krusher

Skazastoki

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,525 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 08:47 PM

Remember, any hold you create (real or fantasy) will be attacked and invaded.  I imagine that if the Dwarves in the LoTR had originally built Moria and the lonely Mountain defensively there would be no way a Dragon or a Balrog could have entered the Hold in the first place.  Entrances and main tunnels should be built so that the occupants (defenders have the advantage).  A low tunnel that has just enough room to swing a two handed dwarf weapon is fine for Dwarves but not for Ogre's, Humans, Elves, Orcs, or large monsters like a Dragon or Balrog.  Kind of hard to enter much less fight if you do not fit.  Have high vaulted ceiling for your throne room, or grand meeting halls not the roadways/tunnels/avenues that lead to each of these.

Just my opinion, build your fluff hold with defense in mind not about how short you are and you want to impress everyone with how big a room you can carve out of the mountain.

#7 Strongbeard_Liam

Strongbeard_Liam

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 02:33 AM

Have you read grudgelore yet? No exact measurements but does have an anatomy of a hold section, describes how the hold comes together and why

Edited by Strongbeard_Liam, 26 September 2015 - 02:34 AM.

#8 Grim1

Grim1

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 10:52 PM

from wfrp

unofficial http://www.madalfred..._Hirn_final.pdf

official http://www.amazon.co...y/dp/1844162672

stone and steel is good also

both offer good insight into different dwarf holds.

Edited by Grim1, 28 September 2015 - 10:55 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fluff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users