49 replies to this topic

#41 silashand

silashand

Living Ancestor

• Brewery Masters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,806 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 09:15 PM

I agree with Krudd, things have already been destroyed really. People want a game that will be supported long-term. I believe KoW is one of those. Personally I would have loved to see a WFBv9, but I am content to play the new game in town now. I still like WFB and will play occasionally if friends still want to, but I don't think that will be all that often.

And for the record, I have seen more activity in the KoW Facebook group about that game than I have in all the WFB forums I am a member of lately, to include AoS. People are really and truly jumping off the GW ship in far greater numbers than I have ever seen in 20+ years of gaming.

#42 Montegue

Montegue

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 12:04 AM

No one kept the integrity of 8th, and I think that's ultimately what makes the alternatives uninspiring. There's something important about a private company's support for a game - excitement for new releases, development of the world, etc. I'll play 8th edition for as long as folks will play with me, but the game is moving to Kings of War.

#43 silashand

silashand

Living Ancestor

• Brewery Masters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,806 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 12:20 AM

The worst part is what GW did to the Old World has made players of their other game leery as well. If a company is willing to essentially discard one group of customers then what is to stop them from doing the same to others? It sets a poor precedent IMO. Though I rarely play, I have heard a few 40K players say they are holding off purchasing anything new until they know if v8 (and/or 30K) is going to trash their game the way AoS did to WFB.

#44 Torendil Zharrgrund

Torendil Zharrgrund

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 04:19 AM

As for KoW interest here in Ghent, BELGIUM, I can attest that our gaming club is showing a lot of interest. Most people have downloaded or pre-ordered the rules and more and more games are being played.

8th on the other hand is in the decline. A running campaign is being concluded, and I guess some older players will try to keep 8th going between each other but I have no idea on how well this will work.

Personally I'm sure I'll still have a game of 8th now and then, especially against old friends. But the main effort will be going into KoW as well!

As for the whole AoS thing, I agree that destroying a world and changing the style of the game leaves me personally feeling a litle betrayed.

#45 kgkid

kgkid

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,006 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 07:32 AM

In my area KoW has hard time catching on. I like some things about it, but it is far from perfect. I dislike the fact that every army is pretty much "all in one", lacking real character ATM.

Knowing Serbian population, I am quite certain that the system played at ETC would get the most support. Simple thing, the ETC Team (myself included) and people around it are the most motivated to organize events, and they organize the thing that they need for ETC.

At this point the 9th Age seems like more likely system to prevail, but KoW does have a chance.

#46 Krudd Kraggsson

Krudd Kraggsson

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 09:02 AM

@ silashand. I completely agree! I've been thinking since AoS hit that it would not just eradicate GWs fantasy brand but cause long term damage to 40k as well. GW can't take back what they've just done. They've shown that they will discard anything if its not making enough money. This sets a terrible precedent, which I'm sure plenty of 40k players will have taken note of.

@kgkid. I would not be surprised if ETC continues successfully with 9th Age for a couple of years. But without company support i do not see where the new players come from. The community will never replenish itself. And soon the ETC and other 9th tournaments will have little relevance to anybody beyond a very small clique of players. It doesn't matter if its a great game.

I think logically KoW will become the go to fantasy battle game in the long term future. So the best outcome is to jump on the bandwagon early and do our best to promote the game and revitalize the scene as quickly as possible, to bring the community back to the level it was at before.

#47 kgkid

kgkid

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,006 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 10:37 AM

@kgkid. I would not be surprised if ETC continues successfully with 9th Age for a couple of years. But without company support i do not see where the new players come from. The community will never replenish itself. And soon the ETC and other 9th tournaments will have little relevance to anybody beyond a very small clique of players. It doesn't matter if its a great game.

I would not like to mess this thread with the discussion about other systems.
We could move that to another thread, I would really like to expand on this? Sorry if I provoked unwelcome OT straying.

KoW2 is a decent system, some of its basic ideas are really good. I was just stating the problems I have persuading my friends to move on to it. Hopefully, both systems would survive, and we could get a richer scene, where players battle problems of staying in hobby by playing more then one game with more-or-less the same collection of miniatures.

As a miniatures making company I wish Mantic would make profit not only on KoW, but on 9th Age as well. As a system with no miniatures of its own it should boost the sales of different miniature makers.

Mantic also shows promise being prepared to listen to customers.

#48 jtrowell

jtrowell

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 01:50 PM

In my area KoW has hard time catching on. I like some things about it, but it is far from perfect. I dislike the fact that every army is pretty much "all in one", lacking real character ATM.

Knowing Serbian population, I am quite certain that the system played at ETC would get the most support. Simple thing, the ETC Team (myself included) and people around it are the most motivated to organize events, and they organize the thing that they need for ETC.

At this point the 9th Age seems like more likely system to prevail, but KoW does have a chance.

What do you mean exactly by "all in one", that armies feel the same ?

Having played games with and against the Ratkins (skavens), twilight kin (dark elves) Empire of dust and undead (Tomb kings) armies, I can tell you that they surely don't fell the same when you play.

Sure, the differences might not be as extreme as they where in Warhammer, but they are there.

The undead and empire of dust armies, like their warhammer counterpart, have many units unable to march and make a large use of magical boost to their movement, and they get some autohealing ability with the life leech rule, plus some units that regenerate and good access to the heal spell

The orcs are an almost all melee army that fight and feel strongly like Warhammer Warriors of Chaos army

Elfes of all types are there, and are elites that fight better and faster than other races (but being better fighters don't mean that they autokill anything that comes in melee)

Dwarves are slow, but tough and good fighters, and have some of the best war engines available.

Ogres or toughs and strong, but are few in number so any point of damage is felt.

All of that to say that no the different armies don't feel the same from my point of view.

#49 Granitbeard

Granitbeard

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 05:34 PM

Stat lines are very similar and I feel that is where people have a hard time with the armies. I admit they are similar but feel the little special rules help separate them. Not to mention models and their bigger picture in the game. I know it isn't GW like, but it is a good basic standard. Nothing is so different from something else in most armies, that is where balance comes from. Not having something count as one thing but be 7 points but then having something that is obviously better is some form count in the same area, but be 9 points.

#50 Grim1

Grim1

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 01:03 PM

the stat lines and unit types are diverse enough for me.

My dwarfs play very differently to my twilight kin.

And I believe that Abyssal dwarfs will play differently enough to dwarfs when I have the time to build and make them.

Figures-wise; I really like my abyssal dwarf mega boxset, the figures look great, and compare well with my old marauder chaos dwarfs. The undead also look fine, ogres look ok... but I don't like Manic humans, dwarfs, elves or orcs really. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users