49 replies to this topic

#21 Granitbeard

Granitbeard

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 10:51 PM

Just got my rule book today. I have to say after reading it, and seeing the lists, it seems very solid. Basic but with a solid tactical under layer. It should be fun. Going to read more and try to get a game in a week or two.

#22 silashand

silashand

Living Ancestor

• Brewery Masters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,806 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 12:53 AM

Finally got mine today as well. Now to find some time to actually read it...  :hope:

#23 Montegue

Montegue

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 12:11 PM

My book should be in today as well. I may have time to pick it up this evening. Looking forward to my fresh start. 

#24 Krudd Kraggsson

Krudd Kraggsson

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 12:41 PM

Anecdotal evidence alert:

Went to my FLGS on Friday. I counted 6 copies of KoW 2nd edition on the shelf. Thought to myself 'nah, i can pick it up anytime'. Changed my mind over the weekend when i saw they were sold out on mantic's website. Went back Tuesday (post bank holiday) to buy a copy and the staff managed to find me the last remaining copy from out back. Guy in front of me in the queue was picking up his reserved copy too. So yea, things are looking positive.

#25 Granitbeard

Granitbeard

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 04:10 PM

Yep, posted that I have my book to some local Facebook groups, and have had 11 people say they want a demo. Will say the unit selection seems very similar(army to army wise) but there are enough special units and rules for each to make they different enough. Going to try and get my first game in this weekend with a buddy.

#26 Montegue

Montegue

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 12:06 PM

Same for me. I have a reserved copy paid for at the game shop. Just need the time to go grab it. And I'm excited to do so. I'd like to see how they did their fluff, I'm looking forward to a complete army list. My final hesitation will be overcome when I decide to multibase a new unit. 

#27 Ozariig

Ozariig

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 01:17 PM

I'm going through the multi-basing quandary right now with my AoW Doomcrushers. They'd fit so much better on the multi-base, but then they're practically stuck with Kings of War forever.

#28 Krudd Kraggsson

Krudd Kraggsson

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 01:18 PM

Yea thats the issue. You couldn't have throwback games of 8th (or older) edition whfb. Or try AoW's own game.

#29 Granitbeard

Granitbeard

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 04:24 PM

Sorry what did I miss, multi-base?

#30 Ozariig

Ozariig

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 04:40 PM

@Granitbeard since you don't remove casualties in Kings of War, you can put your entire unit on one big scenic base of the correct dimensions.

Or you could just put individual models into a movement tray, unit fillers and all. Your choice.

#31 mattjgilbert

mattjgilbert

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 08:55 AM

"Multi-basing" means you build the entire unit on a single base that is the correct footprint for the unit. Because you don't remove models it leaves you free to make every unit modeled how you want with whatever diorama, scenery, ragged ranks, slightly less model count etc. that you like.

#32 Master Engineer

Master Engineer

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 12:15 PM

Kings of War interest?
Yes! Yesterday I have received my copy of rulebook. This weekend I will attend my first Kings of War tournament.

#33 Granitbeard

Granitbeard

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 07:20 PM

Long weekend here in the US, and every one is busy..... WANT TO PLAY A GAME :(

Might just play myself...... easy army(online list builder http://kow2.easyarmy.com/) has a KoW section as an FYI for every one and Greg is pretty good from the email point of things.

#34 Skull Krusher

Skull Krusher

Skazastoki

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 06:52 PM

Just picked up my 2nd Edition Rule book at one of the major gaming stores in LA county called Brookhurst.  A great store!!!  All your hobby needs and they have also online shopping.

#35 Montegue

Montegue

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 06:06 PM

Funny story of why I'm more and more excited to play in Mantica - 

Pickup game in UB today. My opponent drops Archaon down in his list...

Yeah. 

End of game, I have Quarrelers, Hammerers, Organ Gun, Master Engineer, and a Runesmith left. He has Archaon, the Daemon Prince his Lord became after winning a challenge, and his sorcerer. He wins by more than 50. 

I...

Sigh. 

#36 supergrimey

supergrimey

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 02:45 AM

For continued interest code LABOR15 will take 15% off your purchase at mantic's site until Wednesday night EST.

Kings of War has been super for my small group, trying to see the viability of bringing new people in but X-Wing/WMH/40K are the table top games in my flyover state.

#37 Montegue

Montegue

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 04:04 AM

I just got word that all Southern Region GTs are switching to Kings of War next year. 

#38 Pellegrim

Pellegrim

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 07:36 PM

For me that's really to bad to hear .. not because of the quality of the game or anything remotely personal, but because it means things will shatter .. 

But Monti, to you:congrats! Enjoy and hope to see many battle reports.

PS WARNING - SNEER - : C u in one year when you find out KoW is not that good and 9th is at full steam

#39 Krudd Kraggsson

Krudd Kraggsson

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 08:19 PM

What things will shatter pellegrim? Whfb has already been destroyed by GW. The books and lore and people's old armies still exist for those who want to play oldhammer, and speaking personally i would always be up for a game of 8th. But realistically the community needs a supported game to rally behind if its to stay united going forward. I've not had a chance to read my new KoW rule book yet or get a game in, but the online rules look solid and i hear only good things. There seems to be a lot of interest and i think KoW really has got to be the way forward. The sooner people reach that conclusion the better the chance the community will stick together.

#40 Pellegrim

Pellegrim

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 08:34 PM

I think this thread was not about a real discussion on KoW. 

I only expressed my feelings when I heard a vast part of land is supporting a certain game - and it's not the game I support.

No hard feelings - respect!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users