#1 Foe-Hammer

Foe-Hammer

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 03:55 PM

Hi everyone,

Since Kings of War has been taking some pretty big steps forward in terms of popularity in some areas (forums, pod-casts, etc), I have a few questions for the community:

1)  Has KoW gained a foothold in your area, and what area are you in (country, state, planet, etc.)?

2)  Has it taken the place of Warhammer & AoS as the fantasy "rank and flank" game?  Or is Warhammer & AoS still the "top dog" in your area?

3)  Are there any recommended pod-casts for KoW?  

4)  Does the KoW system have anything to be mindful of?  For example:  Warmahordes is known for having a high learning curve, being fairly unforgiving, and requiring a hefty amount of initial research.  From what I have gathered so far, KoW seems to be well balanced, fun and leads to fewer arguments over rule interpretations.  

My gaming group has two people with a strong interest in starting KoW, and since we have all of the minis, hardware and tools already (from Warhammer, naturally), the initial investment/cost of entry is pretty much free to try.  

Thanks in advance for your feedback!  

Edited by Foe-Hammer, 21 August 2015 - 03:55 PM.

#2 Granitbeard

Granitbeard

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 04:25 PM

A portion (maybe 1/3) of my group is sticking to a homegrown kind of rule set that I don't really like, the rest are sticking with 8th, and most of the later are looking to KoW as a replacement. We are in Maine USA, I say Maine as we are spread out by about 1.5 hours from one another. There is how ever and group at the Fringes of that drive time, where they love AoS, but the are really and truly Gee DUB Fanboys.

We have yet to get our rules, but going off of the free ones we have seen, and tried, we like it enough to be a forerunner.

I can't stand things like youtube and such for games (really at all) so can't recommend anything.

KoW seems straight forward to me as well, but there is probably something hidden some where or a rule or two that seem to contradict each other. We have only had a few small games to try stuff out,  so more from me on this later.

I know it isn't 100% what you were looking for but I hope that helps some.

#3 Foe-Hammer

Foe-Hammer

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 05:54 PM

I know it isn't 100% what you were looking for but I hope that helps some.

Thanks for the feedback!  Anything helps, so it's appreciated!  

#4 Montegue

Montegue

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 06:45 PM

1) Yes. A big one. 

2) It's working on it. There aren't many AoS players in San Antonio right now, and most of us are toying around with KoW ideas and lists. 

3) None that I know of. 

4) It's known for having simple rules that require a lot of practice to get good at. 

Hi everyone,

Since Kings of War has been taking some pretty big steps forward in terms of popularity in some areas (forums, pod-casts, etc), I have a few questions for the community:

1)  Has KoW gained a foothold in your area, and what area are you in (country, state, planet, etc.)?

2)  Has it taken the place of Warhammer & AoS as the fantasy "rank and flank" game?  Or is Warhammer & AoS still the "top dog" in your area?

4)  Does the KoW system have anything to be mindful of?  For example:  Warmahordes is known for having a high learning curve, being fairly unforgiving, and requiring a hefty amount of initial research.  From what I have gathered so far, KoW seems to be well balanced, fun and leads to fewer arguments over rule interpretations.  

My gaming group has two people with a strong interest in starting KoW, and since we have all of the minis, hardware and tools already (from Warhammer, naturally), the initial investment/cost of entry is pretty much free to try.  

Thanks in advance for your feedback!  

#5 mattjgilbert

mattjgilbert

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:22 PM

Try counter charge podcasts:,http://www.ohiohamme.../?cat=1,2,3,177

And if you want to hear about how we helped shape the game, Dan and I did this one with the guys: http://www.ohiohammer.com/blog/?p=2348

#6 Lembocha

Lembocha

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 08:36 PM

Of 8 players that are active in Uruguay, 4 (including myself) are interested in testing it but are still waiting to get the complete rules. Right now it seems kickstarter backers are 1st in line so it may take a while for us to order them (we don't wanna order something that will arrive in months). We've looked at the free rules summary but don't really want to start until we get the full thing. I know, we can buy the ebook, but knowing that we will later buy the hardcover it doesn't really make sense to spend 20 quid on a computer file.

We never really got to play 8th, coz most of us took a break between 7th and AoS, so we will still delight ourselves a bit in that ruleset and what 9th brings along, after all we love the WHF world and lore. But looking forward, yeah, we think KoW is the best replacement for the now unsopported WHFB.

I'm sure that if there still aren't, there will be. As far as videos go, I've found an interesting handful already.

Casualties work different and are a deal breaker for people who don't like the KoW approach, but not for me, I'm fine with it. There's also the fact that KoW is not that strict about proxies / models / base sizes, or even it's own fluff, so it makes it the most flexible wargaming game system since Little Wars (just coz Wells actually went and founded the hobby hehe).

All in all what I see in KoW are cheaper miniatures, supported game system, and the possibility to keep on using the WHFB lore and only replace the game system. Units that don't exist in the WHFB universe can be proxied both miniature-wise or lore-wise, and it works both ways too.

#7 Granitbeard

Granitbeard

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 02:47 AM

I ordered my Rule Book not too long ago, well after the kickstarter ended. Yet my book shipped earlier this week. So I wouldn't worry about months for getting the rules.

#8 Jskinny

Jskinny

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 01:53 PM

There seems to be a growing interest in the DC/Baltimore area.  We've even started our own KoW Facebook group.  

I still haven't heard much discussion about KoW at the annual NOVA Open, but I'm hoping there will be something next year.

#9 Montegue

Montegue

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 03:08 PM

There are 13 players coming to the demo day today. I'll probably do a battlereport if I get a game in and post it in Battlegrounds. 

#10 silashand

silashand

Living Ancestor

• Brewery Masters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,806 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 02:46 AM

1) All but one player in my group who plays fantasy wargames is switching to KoW. The one who does not play fantasy has said he plans to pick up AoS to play with his son, but only as a diversion I believe. He is a true 40K nut who prefers that to pretty much anything else. We are in Denver, Colorado.

2) Other than my own group I don't know. I hear that AoS is selling in a couple places, but I don't know that for certain. I do know there was only one group of fantasy players in the local area before AoS and I am not sure what happened to them. I haven't seen them play in a while now. I have never seen a AoS game played locally so take that with as much salt as you like.

3) Dunno. I don't really listen to podcasts so am not a good source for them. I do watch some Youtube stuff from Beasts of War occasionally. The one they did at the end of July on KoW was pretty good.

4) Simple to learn, hard to master is what I have heard. Don't have any experience yet to say one way or another, but it does have a lot of similarities to Hail Caesar! so I think it should be pretty decent IMO.

#11 Montegue

Montegue

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 03:51 AM

Well, I forgot my Ipad, so I could not get pictures of my games today. However, here's my review - 

I played two games of V2 Kings of War today, alongside about 15 other gamers all playing Kings of War. It was like an event at the height of 8th ed where we'd have a full shop of gamers having a great time. 

First, the game - 

I found the game to be simple to play  but difficult to do well, which is a good sign. Most of the rules I liked, and some of the things I thought I would hate (static charge distances, for example) were fine and made sense as I played the game. 

There were some rules I didn't like - a unit with just a corner in the woods was considered to be protected by the woods, so I was at a -1 to hit them. Also (and I'm not sure we played this right), my lord on a Beast was in the enemy flank, which was mostly (but not entirely) concealed by a building. While the unit was plainly there, I was not allowed to charge because for some reason the arch was behind the house. It's hard to illustrate. I think we may have played it wrong, but that was a little silly. 

Mostly, however, it all worked great. I played a 1k and a 2k game, and wound up winning both (though admittedly, the 2k game was going against me until I got some good dice luck). 

My list for 2k was - 

Horde of Ironclad
horde of Shield Breakers with Sharpness (+1 to hit)

Regiment of Ironclad with Strength (CS1 brew)

Regiment of Ironwatch crossbows

Regiment of Ironwatch Rifles

Regiment of Berserker Brock Riders

2 Organ Guns

1 Bombard

1 Warsmith

1 King on Beast

1 ASB

1 Steel Behemoth

I think that's it. 

The steel behemoth is hard to use well. For a monster, he's pretty slow. He hits hard, though, but he's easy to take out with good cavalry on the charge. That being said, his high defense and nerve means he can pin down a flank for a bit. And, they have to address him. I don't know if he's worth his points or not yet. More time on the table is needed. 

Berserker Brock Riders are absolutely amazing. I want another regiment. Because damn. 

Ironclad are better than I thought they would be. They are rugged, and in a horde they can take a lot of punishment. They would probably be fairly good with either the Brew of Strength or Sharpness. 

Ironguard are good. Very good. I don't think it's worth trading D6 for CS1, though. Hitting on 3s is pretty good, and if you give them Brew of Strength they are really very nice. They can take a lot of punishment. Reeeeally wish they came in Horde formation. 

I can see the use of Phalanx now. cavalry are excellent on the turn they charge. 

When it comes to guns, I think our Organ Guns are great. They are punishing with a Warsmith nearby. I'm generally not impressed with a gun that only hits on a 5+. I'd rather roll more dice than fewer. 

BY THE WAY - if you're going to use guns deploy them well. You can't pivot them to face their target and then fire (At least, as far as I was told). So, you have to have nice wide arcs of fire available to you when you deploy them or you'll lose a turn of shooting. 

#12 mattjgilbert

mattjgilbert

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 08:10 AM

Good to hear you enjoyed it. Without a picture I can't comment on the charge issue but cover doesn't sound like it should have been granted. The cover rules say

The target unit will be in cover if:
• At least half of its base is within
difficult terrain, or…
• LOS to at least half of the target facing
is blocked, or passes over intervening
units or terrain that have a smaller
height than the firing or target unit.

#13 Montegue

Montegue

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 01:04 PM

So, to verbally describe the charge -

His unit's flank was half concealed by a building. I put my arch template down, and the arch line went over his unit but through the building. I'll try to use UB to illustrate later. I had a feeling that half the unit needed to be in the woods to get the bonus.

Edited by Montegue, 23 August 2015 - 01:05 PM.

#14 Taggra Foecarver

Taggra Foecarver

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 04:29 AM

Yes, up in my part of Vermont it's catching on with our group, who have been playing WHFB for a very long time.

So far, it looks like it will succeed WHFB.

Try Counter Charge.  Also a lot more battle reports showing up on Youtube lately.

That's about our impression too.  Plays smoothly, rules are pretty clear, very fun, very tactical - faster than WHFB with battles that generally have even more units.

#15 Ozariig

Ozariig

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 01:18 PM

I got the following in a newsletter from Mantic:

The demand for Kings of War has been unprecedented and we have burned through all of our web and retailer allocation of the Kings of War 2nd Edition rulebooks, Counter Sets, Damage Trackers and a number of army sets.

We are getting more in very soon, and the items currently out of stock will remain on pre-order. Be first in line to get them as soon as they arrive,pre-order your Kings of War 2nd Edition rulebook here.

Very good news for Mantic indeed!

#16 Kallstrom

Kallstrom

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 08:03 PM

Aye, got the same email - Great news for Mantic but not so much for the customers that wants their hands on a physical rule book. ;)

I got my copy today, pre-ordered about a month ago. I am looking forward to reading it. I have stayed away from the free, digital version so this will be a fresh experience for me. It is very exciting! :)

#17 BlackThorn

BlackThorn

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 10:18 PM

Got myself the KOW rule book.
So long Warhammer, is was a good 30 old year run!
Skimming through book, its refreshing to see clean, clear rules. Single book with everything you require, armies appear to be very balanced. Nothing jumps out as must have auto win. (This is not the game for serious Warhammer tournament players, no under points costed unkillable cheese feist - Its now tactics for the win!)

BlackThorn

#18 lordgoober

lordgoober

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 12:17 AM

yeah.  it's definitely going to be a learning curve for sure. I played in my first tournament today and while I won 2 games of the three, it was VERY touch and go.  Certain things do seem fairly painful (OGRE CROSSBOWS....) 

#19 Montegue

Montegue

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 02:22 AM

It's definitely a game for serious warhammer tournament players and casual gamers alike. It's the sort of game GW should have put out instead of what they produced. 

#20 silashand

silashand

Living Ancestor

• Brewery Masters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,806 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 02:51 AM

Got myself the KOW rule book.

Still waiting for mine to arrive :(

So long Warhammer, is was a good 30 old year run!

That's kinda how I feel. I'll probably still play it once in a while, but since people seem a bit pumped up to do Kings of War that is likely to be our Fantasy game of choice going forward. AoS has been nothing but good news for Kings of War among those groups I know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users