21 replies to this topic

#1 Montegue

Montegue

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 02:15 PM

Anyone have any good ideas for our Gyrocopters? I'm currently just considering them as unit filler. The base is too wide for a drill machine, and we don't have anything in our army that flies. Maybe an ally of some kind? Can anyone think of something with a breath weapon that flies on a 40mm? Proably not..

Also, my war machines are mounted on lovely 60mm round bases, but that's not legal for the game. I definitely don't want to rebase. Currently I'm thinking about putting a square base under them, but would there be a more sensible way? 

#2 nomadleirbag

nomadleirbag

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 04:01 PM

As far as war machine bases go, the rulebook says

If a War Engines’ base is wider than 50mm,
then its arc of sight is not taken from the
corners. Instead the 50mm wide arc should be
defined on the unit’s base, such as by painting
two vertical lines on the front or marking it
with appropriate scenic decoration.

So perhaps you could delineate the front of a virtual square base?

#3 Granitbeard

Granitbeard

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 04:37 PM

For the gyro, I have been thinking on this too. I wasn't sure if the full rules would have something like it in it, haven't gotten my book yet so....

But I was thinking I could try to create something like a chariot or warmachine that fit the bill. Had an idea will have to get home to find it tho. I know my friends would be OK with it one we did play testing.

#4 Ozariig

Ozariig

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 05:13 PM

As far as war machine bases go, the rulebook says

If a War Engines’ base is wider than 50mm,
then its arc of sight is not taken from the
corners. Instead the 50mm wide arc should be
defined on the unit’s base, such as by painting
two vertical lines on the front or marking it
with appropriate scenic decoration.

So perhaps you could delineate the front of a virtual square base?

That's a pretty good idea.

1. Get a piece of paper, draw a 60mm square.
  2. Draw diagonal lines from corner to corner in the square.
  3. Center the 60mm round base inside the 60mm square, front facing one of the square's edges.
  4. Paint white lines on the edge of the 60mm round base where the diagonal lines intersect the front.

Regarding gyrocopters, the way the gun looks on the front of the model doesn't necessarily imply jets of steam or a breath weapon. You could consider it any kind of shooting.

Heck, a gyrofish doesn't even look that aerobatic. So maybe something that flies badly could be proxied as a land-based mount :)

#5 mattjgilbert

mattjgilbert

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 07:37 PM

Ally them in as proxies for elf drakon riders? You will not be able to Inspire them or cast spells on them but they'll be a decent flier unit.

Yeah I know... elves in a dwarf army... :P

#6 Montegue

Montegue

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 10:26 PM

Bah! Elgi scum! 

Yeah, maybe. :P Probably just gonna do unit filler, though. :P 

#7 Lembocha

Lembocha

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 01:44 AM

Ally them in as proxies for elf drakon riders? You will not be able to Inspire them or cast spells on them but they'll be a decent flier unit.

Yeah I know... elves in a dwarf army... :P

I'll definately do this. Thanks for the tip!

#8 jtrowell

jtrowell

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 12:46 PM

I would even suggest to do a drakon rider (eitheir the unit or the character if you only have one gyro) with the diadem of firekin to give it a breath attack

#9 puggimer

puggimer

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 03:02 PM

I've had suggestions (if you are willing that is) to remove he rotors, add wheels and use it as a steel behemoth.  Or proxy one with it as is.

#10 Lembocha

Lembocha

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 03:13 PM

I've had suggestions (if you are willing that is) to remove he rotors, add wheels and use it as a steel behemoth.  Or proxy one with it as is.

Or make it an excavator by adding a drill, like someone in this forum did (i don't recall who atm).

#11 jtrowell

jtrowell

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 08:43 PM

Or maybe as a hero with the flying artefact.(the ranger or the war smith are probably the best ones for this role, as they come with a ranged attack)

#12 Heogrundin

Heogrundin

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 07:02 AM

You could make the Gyro a King on Large Beast. Give it Diadem of Dragon Kind to make it have a breath attack, or Wings of Honeymaze to make it fly. Unfortunately it doesn't look you you'll be able to make it have both breath attack and flying, but it's better than pretending it's an Elf...

#13 jtrowell

jtrowell

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 08:47 AM

The wings are only useable for a hero with the indivudual rule, the king on beast is no longer individual.

#14 Grumnil Doomshield

Grumnil Doomshield

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 05:59 PM

Steel behemoth seems like the best bet - it has a pretty good breath attack, and what's to say it's melee ability isn't just a really close-range strafing run?

Alternatively, if you have 3 Gyrocopters, they would be good stand-ins for Earth Elementals, while the Gyrobomber makes a nifty Greater Earth Elemental. 

#15 lordgoober

lordgoober

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 10:02 PM

wow.  never really thought about using the Gyro for a Steam Behemoth. I might have to try to craft up a base real fast for one of my Gyroplanes.

#16 Durak

Durak

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 07:54 PM

Human wizard w/ pegasus

75pts

Flies, casts fireball. Seems to be a good gyro substitution 

#17 jtrowell

jtrowell

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 07:18 AM

Good idea about the wizard, but note that you will need to take an human unit to take him.

#18 Wyglif

Wyglif

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 05:51 AM

I've really liked using my gyro model as a ranger captain with the wings of honeymaze magic item. It seems to work very well; my friend who I used to play Fantasy with despised the gyro in Warhammer (he played WE and the steam gun gave him fits!) and was very happy that KoW lacked a a dwarf equivalent - but he's quickly learning that while the world may be different dwarfs are still keen to cling on to the old ways and that the gyro model is still scary! The ranger captain does pretty much everything you'd want a gyrocopter to do: it scouts, it shoots, it hunts characters and warmachines - it just can't drop bombs and there can be only one. 

Which actually leads me to my next point, instead of using the drakon riders from the elf list, I would suggest the Order of the Forsaken from The Brotherhood list (AKA, pegasus knights from the Bretonnia list). They have the same stat line, are five points cheaper, and change out 'elite' for 'headstrong' which actually fits in with the dwarf army just that much better. The unit would lose CS(1), but would go from TC(1) to TC(2) - which could be slightly more fluffy, but makes being in a prolonged combat a little more dangerous.

#19 jtrowell

jtrowell

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 10:25 AM

For an unit, you also have the options of the eagle riders from the nature list, they already come with a ranged attack.

#20 billycapgun37

billycapgun37

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 03:49 AM

I've considered using mine as elohi: they're inspiring, they fly, and they're on 40mms bases.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users