17 replies to this topic

#1 Glynn_Sean

Glynn_Sean

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 08:12 AM

I recently started a new dwarf throng to tie in with azyr using parts from my stormcast eternals (check profile if interested) but it got me thinking, how would you guys do it for other realms?

Mostly for dwarves but if anyone had any other ideas. Like realm of life dwarves would be tricky etc

Pictures welcome of course!

Edited by Glynn_Sean, 18 August 2015 - 04:17 PM.

#2 Helblindi

Helblindi

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 10:38 AM

I'd be interested to see peolpe's conversions, but I find myself unable to leave the old world behind and commit to the new setting, so I'm gonna keep converting and painting as if it was still 8th edition...

#3 sgreg308

sgreg308

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 11:33 AM

I think your conversions are really great. They are subtle enough to not be too loud but the point is made and it looks good.

I hadn't given much thought to converting dwarfs to a realm theme. I imagine the realm of life would just be really earthy colors with a neat base. Realm of fire, you could do some neat molten effects on armour and such. I dunno. Tell me if you come up with anything.

#4 Ozariig

Ozariig

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 11:53 AM

I imagine the realm of life would just be really earthy colors with a neat base.

Maybe a bit like what Reka is doing with his dwarfs? Greens, browns, furs... I'm just not sure if a Norse vibe would match the Realm of Life Duardin in the fluff (somebody who has bought the books would know better than I do).

#5 sgreg308

sgreg308

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 12:46 PM

Actually I think what he's doing is more fitting for the beast realm (can't remember the name of it). I mean, surely there is some creative idea we can come up with. I shall stew on these thoughts while I drink my coffee and if I come up with any ideas I'll be sure and post em.

#6 Glynn_Sean

Glynn_Sean

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 04:16 PM

I'd be interested to see peolpe's conversions, but I find myself unable to leave the old world behind and commit to the new setting, so I'm gonna keep converting and painting as if it was still 8th edition...

I had a similar feeling but tbh the new setting has grown on me (don't hate me please)

I think your conversions are really great. They are subtle enough to not be too loud but the point is made and it looks good.

I hadn't given much thought to converting dwarfs to a realm theme. I imagine the realm of life would just be really earthy colors with a neat base. Realm of fire, you could do some neat molten effects on armour and such. I dunno. Tell me if you come up with anything.

Awh thanks man! The latest update has one model that may be a bit over the top. I'm not that good but I'm obsessed with conversions. Yeah I had a similar feeling, I've only really thought of fire and was thinking of doing some fire spitting irondrakes (ironsalamanders maybe?). Come to think of it life dwarves could have some jadey Armour with antlers on their helms and maybe some more rugged weapons? If I was wealthier I'd try all of these but unfortunately I'm poor  :chris:. I might do a concept life dwarf maybe, I think I can pull that off with the parts at my disposal now.

I imagine the realm of life would just be really earthy colors with a neat base.

Maybe a bit like what Reka is doing with his dwarfs? Greens, browns, furs... I'm just not sure if a Norse vibe would match the Realm of Life Duardin in the fluff (somebody who has bought the books would know better than I do).

Reka is much much much better at converting and painting than me, I saw that thread recently and I think it could fit life and the beast one (I forgot the name too don't worry) but I had pictured the life dwarves to be a bit more... swift looking? I dare not say woodelfy, but less beef cakey at least as far as dwarves are concerned. I really need to get my hands on some of those AOW models, nameingly the slayers.

#7 sgreg308

sgreg308

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 04:52 PM

The AoW rangers are pretty sweet too. They actually feel really rangery. Perhaps something along those lines would be realm of life appropriate. I'm thinking small skirmish size light infantry units with some sort of realm of life spin on them both in color scheme and maybe some sort of added bits.

#8 Glynn_Sean

Glynn_Sean

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 05:03 PM

I love them but I wasn't sure if they would fit with the new setting and I can only really afford one. Yeah that's true about the light armor, It's hard to keep to the metal orientation dwarves have but still shift to the more natural feel that that realm compliments. I thought maybe exactly what you said for everything bar the ironbreakers/drakes and longbeards/hammerers that would be kept as a more heavy style elite unit, maybe adding some rugged torn capes draped over shoulders and such. 

Also anyone interested I did a Mordheim Dwarf Treasure Hunters guide: http://www.bugmansbr...shiny/?p=526840

Edited by Glynn_Sean, 18 August 2015 - 05:04 PM.

#9 Slayerz

Slayerz

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 06:07 PM

Dwarfs with the wings being gyrocopters.

#10 sgreg308

sgreg308

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 06:17 PM

Yes definitely rugged clothing.

#11 Glynn_Sean

Glynn_Sean

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 02:48 AM

Hey that's a good idea for the AOS wings, try that sometime today

#12 Helblindi

Helblindi

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 06:19 AM

I had a similar feeling but tbh the new setting has grown on me (don't hate me please)

Can't see much life in hating someone for liking a game. I'm trying to like AoS, but I don't think I'll manage to do that in the long run. But AoS has inspired you to make some very nice conversions, so it's done something right ;)

#13 Glynn_Sean

Glynn_Sean

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 07:34 AM

Can't see much life in hating someone for liking a game. I'm trying to like AoS, but I don't think I'll manage to do that in the long run. But AoS has inspired you to make some very nice conversions, so it's done something right ;)

Bahah you big cutie! Yeah I dunno, the new setting reminds me of marvels Thor, like azyr is exactly what I picture a Norse god land to look like. For me its good because it opens up so many different conversion and customisation opportunity's and I love how different army's can start to look being from different realm's, also I can use humans and dwarfs together with no hassle and they seem to be the two factions I'm drawn towards.

As far as gameplay goes I'm not sure, I've had very little experience with 8th edition but when reading it the rules just seemed to make sense, admittedly they were very hard to remember and as a new player I had to keep stopping and starting and it got annoying.

Stick it out and I think you'll learn to love it man!

#14 Ozariig

Ozariig

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 09:26 AM

Reka is much much much better at converting and painting than me, I saw that thread recently and I think it could fit life and the beast one (I forgot the name too don't worry) but I had pictured the life dwarves to be a bit more... swift looking? I dare not say woodelfy, but less beef cakey at least as far as dwarves are concerned. I really need to get my hands on some of those AOW models, nameingly the slayers.

I'm a fan of your conversions, too. Tastefully done, very fitting for the aesthetic.

If furs and metal are for the Beast realm, I guess that cloth, rope, and wooden tools would be good for Life. Maybe bits from the newer wood elf kits would be the right way to go. Like sgreg308 said, AoW Pathfinders and Berserkers are probably the most flexible to use as a chassis for modification; GW kits are too heavily armoured.

I think it would be neat if someone used a bunch of Dryad bits to turn their dwarfs into pint-sized treants.

#15 Glynn_Sean

Glynn_Sean

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 11:36 AM

pint-sized treants.

this is an interesting idea!

thanks for the support btw

yeah today was payday so I maaaaay order some AOW slayer guys I think maybe

#16 Glynn_Sean

Glynn_Sean

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 12:04 PM

I thought you guys might be interested in my quickly pieced up life realm concept, it's for a heavier armoured unit and I would have liked more paraphernalia but I have hardly any woodelfy bits

af04ca90c0.jpg8f7cb7d38d.jpg

16bbdeef07.jpga60fcd6dd0.jpg

#17 Ozariig

Ozariig

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 02:43 PM

Nice! I like the green tint on the armour. It's a subtle effect but it makes all the difference.

#18 Glynn_Sean

Glynn_Sean

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 04:52 PM

Thanks Ozariig! I'll probably try a fire one inbetween my Azyrians, but I'll hit a brick wall soon because I've ran out of money  :chris:

Edited by Glynn_Sean, 21 August 2015 - 05:00 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: age of sigmar, conversion, painting, sculpting, realm, new, swag

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users