Photo

Am I Allowed To Discuss Abyssal Dwarfs Here? :)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Morgrim Ironbeard

Morgrim Ironbeard

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 05:01 AM

I am playing my first game of KoW tonight. A 1200 point affair using my Chaos Dwarfs as Abyssal dwarfs. I would like share the outcome. Is it ok to talk Abyssal dwarfs?

#2 Strongbeard_Liam

Strongbeard_Liam

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 05:49 AM

As just a beardling I'm going to say yes. Mainly how was your experience with KoW; likes and dislikes and all that. I'd still like to hear how it turned out in general too!

#3 Krudd Kraggsson

Krudd Kraggsson

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 03:36 PM

Are you fighting dwarfs?

Tbh at this stage I'm just keen to hear any KoW gameplay experiences, regardless of the armies involved.

#4 Lembocha

Lembocha

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 03:48 PM

Purely informative answer and by no means a way of denying you doing it also here at Bugman's:

There is a forum much like this one for the Chaos Dwarf army (www.chaos-dwarfs.com). Perhaps there they can give you better feedback than here.

#5 Morgrim Ironbeard

Morgrim Ironbeard

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 11:21 PM

Yeah I am a member of the Chaos Dwarf group (i love dwarfs evil and normal versions!)...

Played my first game last night and it was great fun. It reminds me of old editions of warhammer and warmaster. Characters and war machines and spells are supporting troops but can still swing their axes!

I played with Abyssal dwarfs vs Orcs at 1200 points. It ended up a draw at the end of 6 turns all i had left was my characters and all he had left was one small unit of orcs. I really enjoyed. Its simple and the game play is pretty intuitive as an old WFB player it all feels right. Movement is not fiddly- most units get a free pivot up to 90 degrees once in their move, so no wheeling fumbles!

The combat system is fast and bloody but units can hang around longer than you expect. Nothing was over the top, although first turn mortar nearly wiped out his troll unit but then failed to roll 5+ to hit for the rest of the game! I used my Bull Centaur Lord as an Abyssal grotesque lord and he got a few flank charges in to units, being a monster and not having the individual rule we assumed he could double his attacks in flank attacks. If incorrect let me know! He wiped out the trolls, a shaman and helped destroy a few other units. Having said that noone even got a hot on him all game so i am sure he wouldnt be that good always!

Im already thinking about my list building and what i can take different- really good fun and recommended!

#6 mattjgilbert

mattjgilbert

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 08:51 AM

Correct, the Grotesque is not Individual and so will double or triple his attacks for side and rear charges. It also means the Grotesque itself has sides and rear arcs too of course.

#7 Morgrim Ironbeard

Morgrim Ironbeard

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 01:41 AM

Thanks Matt...thats what we thought...was great fun and we are rematching this week at 2000 points but i think my mate is taking pointy eared ponces this time

#8 mattjgilbert

mattjgilbert

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 08:00 AM

Don't kill all the elves before they tell you where their mates are.

#9 Guest_Mountain_*

Guest_Mountain_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2015 - 11:42 AM

What are different between Abyssal Dwarfs and "normal" Dwarfs in KoW? I am thinking army and gameplay and so.

#10 Morgrim Ironbeard

Morgrim Ironbeard

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 01:19 AM

Abyssal have access to magic and monsters. also slave orcs etc. lots of diffrent types of units.

#11 SamBuca80

SamBuca80

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 09:42 AM

Just to add a little myself about KOW.  I've had a game last week with my Dwarves vs Twighlight Kin (Dark Elves).  I really enjoyed our game and echo the sentiments above. It plays quickly, fluidly and less faffy than Warhammer.  The movement is so much less stressful . Magic is subtle but useful.  The only down side I felt was that it is difficult to hit with war machines. My cannon needed a 5+ to hit, and I'm sure long range added a -1 modifier as well.  I played 1st ed though and I have heard that Mantic have tweaked the shooting slightly for 2nd ed.  And having said that, when you do hit with the shooting, it is pretty devastating though. 

I really wish Mantic well and hope their game thrives, especially with the ending of WFB.  I certainly will be playing it more often and looking around my local area for gamers.

#12 mattjgilbert

mattjgilbert

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 09:46 PM

There is no long range modifier any longer in v2 and war machines in general do less damage so a hit is more likely but less devastating.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users