26 replies to this topic

#1 Lembocha

Lembocha

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 02:56 PM

Yesterday I recieved my brand new Mantic Dwarf Mega Army (http://tinyurl.com/p53oyrc). I figured I´d let you all know a little something about my experience.

PROS

• Significantly cheaper than most of the other options for 28mm dwarf miniatures.
• Nice concept design that merges appropiately with the WHFB "feel"
• Most sprues have extra pieces for you to give a final customization to your models.
• Warriors (Dwarf Ironclad) bring a bulldog model per non-command sprue.
• Cheap and relatively fast international shipping (took 21 days for the package to arrive from the UK to Uruguay, South America).
• Spare 20mm bases (army needed 125ish and I got 130).
• Free copy of King of War magazine-like rulebook.
• Five Mantic Points (which allow you to claim "prize miniatures" in the future).
• Quality resin, easy to pluck sprues.
• Even though each troop type has notorious differences in design, you can easily use spare models from one regiment to boost another from another kind without the difference being too noticeable.
• Metal models appear to be lead-free.
• Packing is not too bulky (I´m guessing this is the reason why I wasn´t charged extra taxes at the customs office and was able to get the shipment at home instead of having to go to the customs office).
• Fast and easy customer support.
• War machine sprues let you choose between organ gun or regular cannon.
• Metal flame cannon, heroes and elite troops.
• Extra heads so you can choose your beard hairdo!

CONS

• No package design (I got my sprues all stuffed together in a brown cardboard box with anti-shock foamey thingies as the only means of protection. No miniature was harmed though.
• Metal models are slightly bigger. This is not as noticeable as to bother me, but more picky collectors might mind it.
• 10 out of 130 models were missing. That´s half a Rangers Regiment.
• The price of the order shows in the box, and not only in the bill inside the case. This may be troublesome at customs offices in some countries, like mine, but in this case it didn´t cause any problem.
• Mantic doesn´t sell cannon carriages parts separately, so if you don´t have the means to get more carriages from another manufacturer, you will be stuck with spare cannon "top" parts (this is arguably a con actually).
• Metal models are packed too loosely for my taste. None of my models showed any sign of damage, but one standard pole did arrive slightly bent.

I hope this info was helpful for those considering purchasing Mantic Dwarf miniatures. I´d be happy to answer further questions too.

Edit: removed the following line
• Each war machine only has two crew dwarves, when three would be better (do know though that in the KoW rules, crewmen are just decorative.
I failed to notice that it actually has three crew men, and they look awesome.

Edited by Lembocha, 01 August 2015 - 11:13 PM.

#2 Ozariig

Ozariig

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 03:57 PM

Thanks for the report!

Is the rulebook still 1st Edition?

#3 Foe-Hammer

Foe-Hammer

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 04:07 PM

What is the quality of the resin/plastic models?  Are there severe mold lines that will make cleanup difficult?  

#4 Lembocha

Lembocha

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 04:48 PM

Thanks for the report!

Is the rulebook still 1st Edition?

You are welcome! The link takes you to the product page where it says it´s the Third Edition Rulebook, but I´ve recently read that the Second Edition has only been released not so long ago, so there´s no way this is the third one. Hence I assume it´s the Second.

What is the quality of the resin/plastic models?  Are there severe mold lines that will make cleanup difficult?  

These are my first plastic models ever, all my previous armies where 100% metal, so I don´t really have anything to compare to. To the naked eye though it looks good quality. The plastic doesn´t bend much, which is good or bad depending on your own standards (it´s good imo). The packing was not too good and still the models arrived in perfect conditions (and take into account they flew across the Atlantic!), so I´d have to say the quality is very good. There are no edges that you have to cleanup other than the joints where the model is attached to the sprue. Same goes for the metal figures, you only have to cleanup the bottom part of the base a bit in order for it to have a clean contact with the 20mm base later on.

#5 mattjgilbert

mattjgilbert

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 09:02 PM

I thought that they had sorted out the whole "3rd" edition confusion.

2nd edition is not released to retail until the 22nd August. What you have there is 1st edition. Ignore the website, it's plain wrong.

There were two "beta" editions of the game on single sheets of paper before the first official hardback book which is why it is sometimes erroneously referred to as "third" edition. If they sent you a small rule book, it's one of the soon-to-be-old first edition rule books. It's perfectly fine for getting a feel of how the game plays though.

However...

The v2 core rules (minus all the magic items and scenarios) are available to download from the Mantic website already. There are also some sample army lists (which don't contain all the full range of units). You might as well ignore the mini rule book they sent and use what's available online. The full rules and full army lists are out on the 22nd.

Edited by mattjgilbert, 28 July 2015 - 09:04 PM.

#6 Lembocha

Lembocha

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 09:57 PM

For the time being I´ll stick to WHFB 8th to play coz that´s what my guys play, but I have already interested one of them in the KoW rules, so I guess we´ll try them sometime soon too.

#7 Krudd Kraggsson

Krudd Kraggsson

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 10:31 PM

Thanks for that info lembocha, it was very informative. I'm keen to hear more people's opinions on the quality of mantic miniatures.

Edited by Krudd Kraggsson, 28 July 2015 - 10:32 PM.

#8 Lembocha

Lembocha

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 05:44 AM

Tonight I assembled a unit of 20 rangers/crossbowmen with command group and two units of thunderers, as well as the slayer hero and the dwarf lord on oath stone. The lord I stuck in a 40mmx20mm base with one bulldog on each side of the model, which I´m gonna use as an alternative to the shieldbearer. It looks insanely awesome.

I had no trouble cutting the sprues other than a couple crossbow strings that broke when I applied force to remove them from the sprue, but I fixed it with a drop of glue and no problem (also, the sprue brings twice as many ranged guns than the ones you need so...).

#9 Lembocha

Lembocha

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 02:48 PM

Here are some pics of the assembled miniatures I described on the previous post.

Converted Ranger Captain (back)
Converted Ranger Captain (front)

What I did with this one was to attach a crossbow piece to his left hand as some kind of steampunk spy movie wrist crossbow. I also used the head and arms of an Ironclad (plain warrior) captain.

Converted Lord on Oath Stone and "Shieldbearers"

Each non-command Ironclad sprue includes a little bulldog, so I grabbed two of these to act as an alternative to shieldbearer. I based each on half a 20x20mm base and glued them to each side.

20 strong Ranger Regiment

I wanted the captain to look good in order for him to be available as Bugman, just in case I ever want to play Bugman's Rangers, but other than that it's just a 20 men Ranger unitr, 5x4. The order lacked 10 Rangers but I was so pumped about having a 20 men regiment so I used 10 of my 30 Tunderers to boost it from 10 Rangers to 20 (all ironwatch sprues give you the option of making each model a thunderer or a ranger/crossbowmen). I figured when they send me the remaining ten, I'll build an additional thunderer unit,

Edited by Lembocha, 29 July 2015 - 03:07 PM.

#10 Foe-Hammer

Foe-Hammer

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 08:16 PM

Those Bulldogs are the BEST!  I need to get a few from eBay.   :w00t:

#11 Stymie Jackson

Stymie Jackson

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 08:38 PM

Nice, thank you for this. The Mantic plastics look like they are catching up in quality to GW. They are not on par yet, but they are getting better. These are higher quality than 6th edition dwarf minis, but not yet up to the 8th edition set IMO (the new Irondrakes and Hammerers is what I mean for 8th edition).

And yeah, I want those bulldogs.

Edited by Stymie Jackson, 29 July 2015 - 08:39 PM.

#12 Cuthbo

Cuthbo

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 08:50 PM

Thanks so much for the detailed pros and cons! Must say this has made me rethink my opinion of Mantic. Totally agree with Stymie on the quality though. The new GW dwarfs are simply incredible (as much as I hate to say that...). 

Yes I want those Bulldogs too!

#13 Lembocha

Lembocha

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 12:52 AM

You are all welcome! Tonight I´ll work on my shieldbreakers but I don´t know If I´ll finish them. If I don´t, I promise to post pics of both them and 2 of 3 cannons by Friday morning. Even though I´ll hold my guns until they sent me what the order had missing, I am so thrilled about the models that I´m already considering buying a regiment of bulkwalkers (they look awesome for ironbreakers) along with some movement trays. After that I´ll switch to Black Tree Design and Titan Forge for the "aerial" part of my army, and Scibor for miners and irondrakes, but I can´t really imagine picking another manufacturer for models that Mantic has available. They´re cheap, good quality, and look awesome!

#14 Kallstrom

Kallstrom

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 08:35 AM

Btd just had a 40% off on their fantasy range. But I think that sale has ended. :/

#15 Slembo

Slembo

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 137 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 10:58 AM

Black tree almost always have some kind of 25-50% sale on something or everything so I wouldn´t worry so much about that missed opportunity;)-

The bulldogs also come with the abyssal dwarfs sprue as they are (?) practically the same base sprue I think. You get a lot of helmet and shield conversions to make them abyssal though.

I am not the greatest fan of the mantic dwarf looks (but the mantic zombies and ghouls are very nice) so I am not to keen on buying mantic dwarfs just to get a lot of bulldogs (they are awesome though:) ). I tried to make an instant mould copy of one of the two bulldogs I have but the result looked something more like father Nurgle may have grown out of his putrid unmentionables...

#16 Lembocha

Lembocha

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 11:52 AM

Well I believe that I wont be using a couple of spare mastiffs, and I also have spare guns weapons and heads, and I do need additional cannon carriages with wheels. I was planning on offering a trade on reddit /miniatureswap and also here once I get to the 50 posts.

#17 Lembocha

Lembocha

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 04:26 AM

I finished assembling the hammerers and the war machines!

Cannon (with additional metal handle / trigger).

Organ Gun (I stacked the barrel lines of the three independent sprues into one sick organ bulletwall).

Flame Cannon (I added the two spare regular cannon barrels behind the metal flame cannon barrel, just coz).

#18 Kallstrom

Kallstrom

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 04:51 AM

Haha that Organ gun looks sick! Nice! :D

#19 Ozariig

Ozariig

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 11:45 AM

That organ gun is amazing  :clap:

#20 Lembocha

Lembocha

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 12:31 PM

Thanks a lot! I'll upload pictures of the four drunken warriors and the hammerer regiment, which I finished assembling yesterday too.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mantic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users