http://blog.untilsom...t-1-dwarfs.html

#2 Skull Krusher

Skull Krusher

Skazastoki

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,525 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 12:30 AM

You have an awesome dwarf themed army. And you brew beer... To bad I am not back east where you are so I can sample some.... San Diego has 95 craft beer breweries which I have been to about 85 or 90. They keep popping up

Once again great army, like the wet t-shirt unit!!!

Edited by Skull Krusher, 22 July 2015 - 12:30 AM.

#3 Kallstrom

Kallstrom

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 04:42 AM

Sweet looking army!

I have myself been thinking about how my army translates over into Kow. I lack Gyrocopters and Irondrakes so at least I have that going for me, which is nice.
I do wish they had some sort of Miner unit though.

Could you give a little overview regarding the different formations and their abilities etc? Like what do they mean in game terms, how many do you have to have in one unit and what can they "unlock" in the army?

#4 lordgoober

lordgoober

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 07:22 AM

Ok. You have four sizes of rank and file units in the game.  

For reference for WFB comparison.  Size 1 infantry = standard infantry. Size 2 = Standard Cavalry. Size 3 = Monstrous Infantry. Size 4 = Monstrous Cav.

Troop:  Smallest, generally half regiment size, either 5 or 10 models of size 1-2 models and 3 of large size model.

Regiment:  Next size up.  Double the size of the representative Troop,  Regular regiments are 20 Size 1 troop while Elites are 10 models.  Allows you 2 troops and one selection from the heroes, monsters or war machine.  That is one of the three, not one from each of the three

Horde:  Double the Regiment size.  Allows 4 Troops selections and one from each of the hero, monster and war machine.

Legion:  Triple Regiment Size.  Allows selections like horde.  Only "trash" troops get to be this size like Goblins.

so for example,  lets say you have a Horde of Ironclads (Dwarf Warriors) and a Regiment of Ironguard (Longbeards).  This would allow you to take up to 6 units of troop size,  1 each of hero, war machine and monster class and one extra choice from one of these.

So we could do something like this if you had one horde in your list.

Horde of Ironclads:  Troop of Ironwatch Crossbows, Troop of Ironwatch Rifles,  Troop of Berserkers,  Troop of Shieldbreakers, Ironbelcher Cannon (War Machine), Battle Driller (Monster), Dwarf King (Hero)

Since every model only has a Defense Stat which essentially combines Toughness and Armor into one stat for a target number to have units try to wound on,  it stands that some of the rules would have WFB style analogs.  

Crushing Strength gives you bonuses to damage so essentially each point of Crushing Strength would translate to a WFB +1S.  Same for Piercing with respect to ranged weapons.

One thing you'll notice is that the point values for units are a bit lower comparatively speaking for dwarves with respect to WFB. IIRC my 12000+ points of classic metal dwarves from WFB IIRC came down to about 5500 raw in KoW 1e with only a few models not really being represented.  I'm going to have to take another full inventory at some point so I can do my basic setups. 

Edited by lordgoober, 22 July 2015 - 07:25 AM.

#5 Kallstrom

Kallstrom

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 10:18 AM

Very interesting, cheers!

So a Horde of Dwarfs are 40 models strong normally but 20 strong if they are elite?

So the biggest block you can make as a dwarf player is a 40 models strong unit?

How about formations, do they play a role as well? Like deploying your Horde 10x4 or 5x8, does it grant you different abillities or number of attacks?

There is only one unit of Dwarfs with great weapons, right? So my Hammerers, Miners and great weapon wielding Longbeards all have to form the same type of unit?

#6 mattjgilbert

mattjgilbert

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 11:44 AM

V2 standardised all the unit sizes.

Infantry

Troop = 10 (5x2)

Regiment = 20 (5x4)

Horder = 40 (10x4)

Legion = 60 (10x6)

Cavalry

Troop = 5 (5x1)

Regiment = 10 (5x2)

Horde = 20 (10x2)

Large Infantry/Cavalry

Regiment = 3 (3x1)

Horde = 6 (3x2)

Legion = 12 (6x2)

All formations are fixed.

#7 puggimer

puggimer

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 11:53 AM

There are no formations - units are set sizes in blocks.

Infantry - Troop=10 (5x2), Regiment=20 (5x4), Horde=40 (10x4), Legion=60 (10x6)

Cavalry - Troop=5 (5x1), Regiment=10 (5x2), Horde=20 (10x2)

Large Infantry/Cavalry - Regiment=3 (3x1), Horde=6 (3x2), Legion=12 (6x2)

Army composition is based around regiments and hordes.  There is no limit to the number of these you can take.

Each Regiment in your army unlocks 2 troops and 1 hero OR monster OR war engine

Each Horde unlocks 4 troops, 1 hero, 1 monster and 1 war engine

Legions count as hordes for this.

There are some irregular troops (unit name is marked with an asterisk (*)) - they always count as troops regardless of size

The most straightforward mapping of WFB dwarfs to KoW dwarfs is

Hammers -> Shieldbreakers

Warriors -> Ironclad

IronBreakers -> IronGuard

Rangers -> Rangers

Thunderers -> Ironwatch Rifles

Quarrellers -> Ironwatch Crossbows

Slayers -> Berserkers

Cannon -> Cannon

Organ Gun -> Organ Gun

Flame Cannon -> Flame Cannon

Lord -> King

Engineer -> Warsmith

BSB -> Army Standard Bearer (but you can have as many as you like)

Slayer -> Berserker Lord

Runesmith / Runelord -> Stone Priest

WFB units that have no direct equivalent in KoW

Longbeards, Miners, Gyrocopter, Gyrobomber, Grudge Thrower, Bolt Thrower, Anvil of Doom -> No direct equivalent

KoW units that have no direct equivalent in WFB

Bulwarkers (heavy shields and pikes)

Sharpshooters (think Skaven Jezails)

Berserker Brock Riders (Slayers on battle badgers)

Earth Elementals

Greater Earth Elementals (it's a rock, it doesn't have any vulnerable spots!)

Jarrun Bombard (cannon that can shoot like a mortar)

Battle Driller

Steel Behemoth (dwarven steam tank)

King on Large Beast

Ranger Captain

#8 Jskinny

Jskinny

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 08:25 PM

I like Longbeards as Ironguard  and Ironbreakers as Bulwarks.....yes I know they don't carry spears, but if you think of them as the heaviest and most stalwart of the units, then from a fluff stand point they match.  If push came to shove, you could even convert them to with lances/pikes

#9 lordgoober

lordgoober

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 07:09 AM

That's pretty much what I'm doing Jskinny. 

#10 Jskinny

Jskinny

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 08:48 PM

That's pretty much what I'm doing Jskinny. 

Have you seen this.......

http://www.fireforge...-lances-details

Might help with those conversions.  Wish I had seen this before i went and invested a chunk of change with Gripping Beat over the summer.

#11 Granitbeard

Granitbeard

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 12:02 PM

WFB units that have no direct equivalent in KoW

..... Grudge .... -> No direct equivalent

KoW units that have no direct equivalent in WFB

Jarrun Bombard (cannon that can shoot like a mortar)

No equivalent??? So a stone thrown in a lobbing style and a round hunk of metal shot in a lobbing style are close enough for you?

#12 puggimer

puggimer

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 02:45 PM

A grudge thrower could proxy as a bombard no problem.  Just like a bolt thrower can proxy as a cannon.  The bombard can shoot indirectly, but is also can shoot as a normal cannon.  This is why I said there was no direct equivalent.

There are three war engines for Mantic dwarfs - and they all have direct equivalents in WFB dwarfs.  Mantic dwarfs like black powder, and don't have the older style weapons, being the best crafters in the land (for example they have the Steel Behemoth (a tank) not the bloody humans!).

So I would encourage you to proxy your stone thrower as a bombard - just don't try to explain how it can blow a hole in a troll from 3" away.  :-)

#13 Granitbeard

Granitbeard

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 04:24 PM

A grudge thrower could proxy as a bombard no problem.  Just like a bolt thrower can proxy as a cannon.  The bombard can shoot indirectly, but is also can shoot as a normal cannon.  This is why I said there was no direct equivalent.

There are three war engines for Mantic dwarfs - and they all have direct equivalents in WFB dwarfs.  Mantic dwarfs like black powder, and don't have the older style weapons, being the best crafters in the land (for example they have the Steel Behemoth (a tank) not the bloody humans!).

So I would encourage you to proxy your stone thrower as a bombard - just don't try to explain how it can blow a hole in a troll from 3" away.  :-)

Well that is easy too, the Dwarf crew just shot put it if they shoot it like a normal cannon :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users