10 replies to this topic

#1 Falgrin

Falgrin

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 06:49 AM

I finally got underway with the construction of my first building.  I decided to use balsa wood in the construction rather than foamboard or plasticard.  It's pretty easy to work with, but I suspect I'd end up with kindle should it drop to the floor.

The Inn.
My rather foppish Marienburg Captain Pieter van der Woelt has taken up residence in the top floor.

DSC 0069
DSC 0070
DSC 0071

There is still some detailing to be done such as scoring planks into the floors and I need to see if I can find a suitable sign for the inn as well.

I'm also toying with the idea of adding some sort of railing along the walkway, but I suspect that may interfere with the ability to move models around on it.

I'll try and keep this updated as progress is made on this and future buildings.

#2 jouke1988

jouke1988

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 09:51 AM

It already looks stunning. I am sure this will prove to be a very good peace of terrain!

#3 BlackThorn

BlackThorn

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 05:07 PM

Looking good. I would attach to a base and instruct friends & family to lift by base only.
Love the panel work, may have to incorporate some into my own scratch build ruin.

BlackThorn

#4 Helblindi

Helblindi

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 07:55 PM

It looks great indeed. Basing it would seem logical to preserve the structure. Is the inside (as far as ruins have an inside) gonna get some attention too?

Makes me wanna start experimenting with balsa wood :)

#5 Falgrin

Falgrin

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 09:26 AM

Thanks everybody.

The inside floor will get scored and I do need to give the walls some attention as well as they look very unrealistic.  I've also realised that the suggested size based on the current corners look too small for an inn so additional walls will be added and it will of course all go on a suitable base.  I just can't decide on the right material to use for the base.  I have some 5mm MDF that I am considering using.

I'll be doing some more work at the weekend so will get some photos done then.

#6 Falgrin

Falgrin

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 05:12 PM

The inside has been given a little care and attention.

DSC 0077
DSC 0080

Am pretty happy with the building as it is just now and will start planning my next building.  Once it is put on a base I will add a fireplace/chimney and a small section of wall in the opposite corner, but first onto the next building.

Note to self - definitely do the details before gluing everything together.  It was a royal pain in the arse trying to do the nail head details on the lower floors near the walls.

#7 Helblindi

Helblindi

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 06:39 PM

That looks awesome! So much detail! Can't wait to see it painted.

#8 Thorgrimmir

Thorgrimmir

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 01:07 PM

Interesting terrain, cheers Falgrim!

#9 Falgrin

Falgrin

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 05:50 PM

Although I have not progressed the terrain bit, partly due to not really playing any Mordheim after all I did manage to paint my Marienburg warband.  In the process I replaced the captain with an old GW merchant model.

As this part of my hobby is at a standstill I don't expect any updates anytime soon sadly.  I do have a good reason though as I am finally progressing my dwarf army if a bit slowly.

IMG 20161106 1740591
IMG 20161106 1740484
IMG 20161106 1740350

#10 jouke1988

jouke1988

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 07:18 PM

Q; What materials are you using for these ruins?

#11 Falgrin

Falgrin

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 01:54 PM

Just balsa wood and PVA glue.  And some old business cards for the tiles.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mordheim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users