134 replies to this topic

#21 mattjgilbert

mattjgilbert

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:16 AM

I think earth elementals were also funded in the kickstarter. So many units were I can't remember! I'll go find out and report back.

EDIT: These were in the KS

574bab8105691d1bcf450ee5c1d9dce5_origina

And apparently the snipers should be out in August and are being painted up next week for photos.

Edited by mattjgilbert, 06 July 2015 - 11:28 AM.

#22 garetvarr

garetvarr

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 03:13 PM

Ah Greater Obsidian Golems / Earth Elementals ahh ha I've already got some of those.

Came across idea from some guy on the Mantic forum site so thats handy that I've gone and got some. Will be trying them out on Wednesday ( hopefully ). 

Will be interesting to see snipers / sharpshooters.

Edited by garetvarr, 06 July 2015 - 03:14 PM.

#23 Granitbeard

Granitbeard

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:43 PM

OK for me, when do the rules come out for US? How can I get them? And will my secret love army, the Amazons (and no, i don't love them because of women warriors, I love the because I love me a strong women:)), make a showing, or at least an army I can use the awesome models I have for?

#24 Dolgrim Brassbottom

Dolgrim Brassbottom

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 03:32 AM

is there a campaign book for kings of war? Also I seen a thing for a kickstarter are there any more kickstarters going on? 

#25 mattjgilbert

mattjgilbert

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 08:10 AM

OK for me, when do the rules come out for US? How can I get them? And will my secret love army, the Amazons (and no, i don't love them because of women warriors, I love the because I love me a strong women:)), make a showing, or at least an army I can use the awesome models I have for?

The v1 rules and lists are free to download now from the Mantic site.

The v2 rules are being made available for download on the 10th.

The book is available now for pre-order and  went to the printers a day or so back.

No amazon army on the cards yet but depending on how you want them to play you can probably easily find a suitable army list and use counts-as.

Is there a campaign book for kings of war? Also I seen a thing for a kickstarter are there any more kickstarters going on? 

There will be a global campaign where player results will affect the map. In the future there are bound to be additional mini-campaign books and one of the things on my list (with Nick, one of the other RC members) is to do a siege and campaign supplement.

There might be some small kickstarters to help fund some hard plastic kits but nothing is planned yet.

#26 Kallstrom

Kallstrom

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 08:39 AM

Will the v.2 rulebook contain all the army lists as well or are there seperate army books? (if I get the hardback rulebook, will I be able to learn the Core rules, read fluff and start making army lists?)

Edit :
Oh, and are there any Full Command Groups in Kow?
Like a musician, standard bearer and a champion that leads the unit?

Edited by Kallstrom, 07 July 2015 - 08:50 AM.

#27 mattjgilbert

mattjgilbert

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 09:44 AM

Will the v.2 rulebook contain all the army lists as well or are there seperate army books? (if I get the hardback rulebook, will I be able to learn the Core rules, read fluff and start making army lists?)

There are 11 core armies in the full v2 rulebbook including Dwarfs (and Abyssal Dwarfs), plus rules and fluff. I think there's a gamer's edition with just the rules and lists.

In v1 you could add a musician and standard bearer but in v2 that's been removed. Everyone felt they added very little to the game and were just a hang over from... er... other systems (!) and a waste of points you could spend on other units You can add them but it's purely for aesthetic reasons in v2. Heroes do not join units in KoW and there's no such thing as a unit champion upgrade. In v1 the leader model was used as the point for taking some measurements but in v2 we simply have the "Leader Point" which is right in the middle front of the unit, regardless of model placement.

So you can add a full command group to your units and many people do, but it's just for visual effect, no gameplay reason. Everyone was on-board with this idea and removing them was one of the first community suggestions we implemented.

#28 Granitbeard

Granitbeard

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 12:04 PM

Were is the preoder site? Or is it the kickstarter thing? Is it still Open? Sorry, been traveling and I have limited access to the internet.

#29 Kallstrom

Kallstrom

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 12:25 PM

I think you can pre-order from Mantic's store as of now. :)

There are 11 core armies in the full v2 rulebbook including Dwarfs (and Abyssal Dwarfs), plus rules and fluff. I think there's a gamer's edition with just the rules and lists.

In v1 you could add a musician and standard bearer but in v2 that's been removed. Everyone felt they added very little to the game and were just a hang over from... er... other systems (!) and a waste of points you could spend on other units You can add them but it's purely for aesthetic reasons in v2. Heroes do not join units in KoW and there's no such thing as a unit champion upgrade. In v1 the leader model was used as the point for taking some measurements but in v2 we simply have the "Leader Point" which is right in the middle front of the unit, regardless of model placement.

So you can add a full command group to your units and many people do, but it's just for visual effect, no gameplay reason. Everyone was on-board with this idea and removing them was one of the first community suggestions we implemented.

That sounds great, regarding both answers!

Will Mantic remove any Kings of War models from their store when 2nd edition comes out? I am interested in buying some Dwarf character models in metal but I wonder if I should wait till after I read the rule book or if I must buy them in case they vanish from the store? But this might be a tough question to know the answer to? :)

#30 mattjgilbert

mattjgilbert

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 12:39 PM

Were is the preoder site? Or is it the kickstarter thing? Is it still Open? Sorry, been traveling and I have limited access to the internet.

The book can be pre-ordered here: http://www.manticgam...n-rulebook.html

The kickstarter closed several months back now.

Will Mantic remove any Kings of War models from their store when 2nd edition comes out? I am interested in buying some Dwarf character models in metal but I wonder if I should wait till after I read the rule book or if I must buy them in case they vanish from the store? But this might be a tough question to know the answer to?

I don't know if they are planning on removing anything - I don't think so. Adding rather than taking away.

#31 Kallstrom

Kallstrom

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 01:13 PM

This thread has convinced me to take a leap of faith into trying out Kow! I know the rules can be downloaded but to me nothing beats holding a rule book so I have pre-ordered the hardcover one and 10 metal dwarf models to go with it. Looking forward to receiving them!

So the second edition comes out on friday but the rulebook will still ship in august? :)

#32 mattjgilbert

mattjgilbert

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 01:54 PM

So the second edition comes out on friday but the rulebook will still ship in august?

Yep, the core rules are due up first (and lists I guess..) but the book only went to the printers yesterday!

#33 mattjgilbert

mattjgilbert

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 01:54 PM

I think the kickstarter backers will get their books sent out first and then they will go to retail.

#34 hazard

hazard

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 03:20 PM

For a easy introduction to 2nd ed list building you can use this site...

http://ekow2-menteme...ca.appspot.com/

It is what my gaming group using...the list building itself isn't tough, but making things easier is always better haha.

#35 evanger

evanger

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 05:31 PM

Wow! What a great thread! I will be downloading the rules on the 10th and will be very eager to learn more about this.

Just the idea of not removing casualties sounds like a great speed upgrade in terms of game time.

#36 Ventraux

Ventraux

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 08:53 PM

Awesome thread! I had a read over the v1 rules awhile back but my local community was still very WHF focused. With age of Sigmar it looks like people are more willing to look to different things (maybe AoS will be good for something after all (jest) )

Now for my questions. What are the common point values played at in Kings of war? How does this number compare to that of the typical WHF point level? Because it seems that in general things are at a much lower points cost (atleast from what I've read of the beta)

Thanks!

#37 hazard

hazard

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 09:33 PM

At the start my gaming community played about 1000pts which is good to understand the game but it doesn`t let you bring the cool stuff. A game of 1500pts is pretty big, if you play goblins your can barely fit them all in your deployment zone(it also lasts maybe an hour, hour and a half) but it seems like a good balance of bringing cool stuff, time, and room.

You can try 2000pts but it will probably be a huge(for example a horde of 40 dwarfs is like 280 pts)

Edited by hazard, 07 July 2015 - 09:33 PM.

#38 mattjgilbert

mattjgilbert

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 09:50 PM

The tournament norm for next year will be 2000 points. I don't know how that compares to whfb. That should play in 90 minutes, two hours tops if going slow or just learning. Most casual games are going to be 1500-2000 I should think.

#39 Granitbeard

Granitbeard

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 12:25 AM

Back home.... and just preordered.

#40 silashand

silashand

Living Ancestor

• Brewery Masters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,806 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 06:33 AM

Not having read the v2 rulebook yet (obviously), how similar is Kings of War to something like Hail Caesar or Black Powder? From what I read they seem to have similar mechanics, e.g. not removing casualties, unit frontage standards, etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users