Bugman

Master Dwarf Brewer

• Brewery Masters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,614 posts
Contributor

Posted 02 July 2015 - 05:20 PM

Hello All,

I am sure you are all aware unless you have been living under a rock that Games Workshop have ended Warhammer Fantasy Battles as we know it and are bringing in thier New 'warhammer' (I use that term so loosely) product the Age of Sigmar. TBH I am devestated at the loss of WFB and having seen a lot of leaked stuff, dont like the look of AoS in any shape or format. However, until it is released and I can have a go, I will with hold full judgment. However, without the mass ranked units and some kind of point system, it wont be for me.

So where does this leave the excellant community of the Brewery? AoS will continue to be supported in its own forum, I shall also open up a new one for Kings of War, Previous editions of Warhammer and any forums required for supporting any of the home brew editions that may be taking shape out there. Previous editions of warhammer suit me fine, the books are readily available on the internet and models are also easy to come by either from your own collection, eBay, recasters or other miniature companies

So the community will continue to live on, as it has done since I set this website up many many years ago (2002 was when we first got the domain name, and i ran it on a few website for about 2 years before that!) because you guys make it all possible, so thank you

Bugman

#2 Pellegrim

Pellegrim

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 07:15 PM

Man this feels like a divorce.

But it's not.

The creative spin-off of GW's dump of WFB will only makes it more interesting.

We need to stay focussed.

#3 Benke

Benke

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 07:27 PM

Crack up a barrel of your finest, Bugman. This is not a time of grief, this is going to be this community┬┤s finest hour. 

#4 Montegue

Montegue

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 09:04 PM

Thanks, sir. Thanks for keeping it Old World. 

#5 Glyfi Ironbeard

Glyfi Ironbeard

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 09:07 PM

Thank you for you devotion and love of the game.  Like Monty says, thanks for keeping it about the old world and dwarfs in large fantasy battles.

#6 Borri Forkbeard

Borri Forkbeard

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 10:45 PM

It's bit a few years (!) since I posted here Bugman - I remember joining your first website in like 1998 or something.  I think that this is a good move. Thanks for keeping the WFB spirit alive. 

#7 Wendersnaven

Wendersnaven

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,874 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 10:46 PM

I think we can all join in gratitude, and saying:

#8 TaxiForBiggins

TaxiForBiggins

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 11:07 PM

Thanks Bugman. I've tried to spend time on other warhammer forums, but can't :)

My wife doesn't say thanks, she says 'thanks a lot' in a very sarcastic tone. Women.

#9 Skull Krusher

Skull Krusher

Skazastoki

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,525 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 11:13 PM

Both the Rinn and I thank you for all your hard work and devotion to those of us on the forum. Please have a pint or two on my tab.

#10 Ragnavald Frostpeak

Ragnavald Frostpeak

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 11:13 PM

Stay strong Bugman, and stay strong Bugman's Brewery! We will live on playing proper Warhammer.

I think some of you are pretty familiar with how harsh my criticism has been of GW. In all honestly when I saw the new Age of Sigmar game I laughed out loud. Not even in my most pessimistic attitude could I have conjured that monstrosity of a game. Not in my most critical could I have imagined a company capable of such a laughable creation. What kind of a fool looks at a game like that and says 'ya that one is for me?'

SERIOUSLY?! A fantasy battle meets 40k style??!?! Steam punk dwarves? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!??!? Y9854R2 Y7489TH8723T87G H32OG8!!!!!!!

The pathetic crony executive that made the decision to destroy WFB and in its place put this? How I would LOVE to put a face on just who is responsible for killing our beloved Warhammer. No not to act in violence, unless words can physically hurt, but history deserves to know the piece of scat that thought this was a good idea.

How about we *sue* GW for making us buy a bunch of new materials to play their game then them totally trashing the entire thing. How is that not stealing people's money? How is this insult of a game, this Age of Sigmar, not a slap in the face?

GW can burn.

Edited by Ragnavald Frostpeak, 02 July 2015 - 11:16 PM.

#11 Clan's Cynic

Clan's Cynic

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 134 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 09:58 PM

I'm happy with this change myself. What better way to broaden the community - if only slightly - by fostering one dedicated not only to Warhammer, but of all things Dwarfen/Dwarven across a number of different tabletop games?

#12 jouke1988

jouke1988

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 05:34 AM

Personally I dislike the new AoS style of playing. However there is one advantage of these rules. I didn't see it but a friend of my told me. For new players the old rules could be hard to understand because of all the exceptions. The new rules are quite easy to understand for new players. Maybe it's their way to get new players into the game... 

#13 Grim1

Grim1

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 09:31 PM

I think that as I grow have grown older I increasingly started "think(ing) of the children".

I used to play 2nd ed wfb and 1st ed 40k but I currently love playing 8th ed and KoW 2nd ed with my friends.

If warhammer fantasy doesn't scale (and dumb) down, and gets a little more trendy, it will have a fanbase who will play it till they die but recruit less and less per year.

AoS isn't my thing atm (end of my tournament scene unless I choose to run one myself) but I understand what it's about.... I do think that a lot of parents have wished wfb be easier to get the kids into.

Perhaps if AoS is seen as wfb-lite and 8th ed is still around for the fully initiated wise ones (and oldhammer exists for us geriatrics who reminisce about the good old days) then there may be some good to come from it all.

Glad to see the AoS section and KoW section too Master Bugman.

#14 Dourin

Dourin

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,056 posts
Contributor

Posted 07 July 2015 - 08:11 AM

I've been dreading for a while to come back to this place. Why? Because of what I feared I would find. Ale barrels smashed by drunken dwarfs in one last big drunken warhammer farewell party? Or instead, a completely abandoned place with the residents having packed up and moved to greener pastures (or orerich mountains as the case would be).

Instead I find that I'm relieved. There still are people having fun, continuing to play their game whichever one that may be. And even if it isn't to everyone's tastes, we give each other the space to have fun with whatever game we like to play.

Bugman, this is a courageaous decision and one that I salute.

#15 Gandulag

Gandulag

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 05:56 PM

Thank you Bugman, and to all of you that have made my short presence in the community a warm welcome (True Dwarfish fashion). I intend on remaining here as long as I can - if there are dwarfs to field I believe this is the best place to go.

Have a round on me gents, we're in it for the long haul!

#16 Foe-Hammer

Foe-Hammer

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 08:03 PM

Grumble as we may (and do!), this site will always cater to the spirit of the Dwarfs...  which is what makes it the best.  

#17 evanger

evanger

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 08:34 PM

Aye, a most welcome decision!

I love it here!

#18 McGrumpy

McGrumpy

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 04:22 PM

I actually played a few games last weekend and had a good time with, was abrasive at first but enjoyed my time.

Thorgrim is useful again and the Anvil is great in this setting. Irondrakes are very very strong if they remain stationary and on top of that all our warmachines rock.

#19 Froda Lok

Froda Lok

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 07:21 PM

That is so good to hear! This forum is simply the best, and I would hate to see it go. Thank you Bugman  :respect:

#20 Danger_Russ_One

Danger_Russ_One

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 09:10 PM

Thank you for being a bastion in a turbulent time.

I beginning to think that somehow that I was instantly transformed from Beardling to an ol" grumbling Longbeard with the way I feel about the recent changes by GW!

However I see that I am not alone.

D_R_O

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aos, age of sigmar, bugmansbrewery, warhammer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users