• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Thennek Stormshield

Thennek Stormshield

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 03:27 AM

My friend likes to play his Undead Legions.  I've fought him to a standstill a couple of times now.  Every time he pulls out these blasted undead ethereal cavalry guys.  They fly over my warriors, longbeards, etc. and do damage and there's not a blasted thing I can do about it.  I charge them, can't hit them because you need a "magic" weapon. Ok, so my thane, BSB, or Lord has that, but they're the only one that can attack.

So, here's my question - what counts as a "magic" attack?

Runed weapons, obviously?

Do the shots from a runed organ gun?  Rune of Burning I know is a yes.  What about a gun that only has Rune of Accuracy for instance?

If I have a runesmith in with my warriors and he gives their attacks Armor Piercing - does that count as a magic attack?

Also, his Casket of Souls is a real pain in the backside.  I've tried using the canon to take it out, but that usually takes at least two turns of two canon firing at it on a good day.  This next game I've decided to send Bugman's Rangers on a deep scouting mission to try and take that thing out a bit early, or at least give him something to try and burn down besides all my artillery.

Any suggestions, or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.  

#2 Salgar

Salgar

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 04:50 AM

So, here's my question - what counts as a "magic" attack?

Runed weapons, obviously?

Do the shots from a runed organ gun?  Rune of Burning I know is a yes.  What about a gun that only has Rune of Accuracy for instance?

If I have a runesmith in with my warriors and he gives their attacks Armor Piercing - does that count as a magic attack?

Shots from any runed warmachine with any rune are magical.  

But Runesmiths don't make a unit's attack magical.  Just Armor Piercing.  

Also keep in mind that if you beat Hexwraiths (that sounds like what you're talking about) in close combat, some of them die just because they lost.  

A runed Organ Gun will obliterate Hexwraiths...and with a little practice, you'll learn to use the Organ Gun to control where he sends them.  

Good luck with the Casket.  I don't know enough about that one to give you many pointers, but I trust Bugman and crew to give 'em a beating! 

#3 Kallstrom

Kallstrom

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 07:23 AM

It is easier to take out in Cc than with shooting, but remember that the casket blows up when it dies. :)

Remember that your static combat resolution can crumble the hex wraiths should you win combat. If you are charged, try to combat reform afterwards to form ranks if you can and have models for it. Three ranks and a banner means that a unit of five hex wraiths need to do three wounds to tie (calculating the bonus CR they get from charging). And with a runic weapon in there the tide of combat might switch pretty fast!

But yes, as stated already the Organ Guns eat these guys up.

#4 Feldeghast

Feldeghast

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 10:20 AM

10 miners could deal with the casket - a kamikaze mission if you like...,My preference is to bombard it with str 10 hits and you should remove it over 2-3 turns  

#5 MeuhMeuh

MeuhMeuh

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 11:51 AM

Well a decent TK/Undead legion player will probably hide it behind impassibles, and as his base is small, even an accurate GT will have trouble killing it (T10 against shooting). Miners aren't that common and I personally don't like them at all, so the best option you have against a casket if you don't have line of sight to him is to send a gyro to kill it in close combat (should be quite easy in, if you manage to kill one guy on the charge he will crumble at the end of the combat).

Against Hexwraith : as Salgar said : any shot from a runed warmachine is considered as magic attack : it can wound etheral units (and also allows the 2++ save for the elvish World Dragon Banner, but that's another story). So, a simple shot of organ gun will clear them, as it would do for any other light cavalry unit :)

#6 Wendersnaven

Wendersnaven

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,874 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 10:39 PM

10 miners could deal with the casket - a kamikaze mission if you like...,My preference is to bombard it with str 10 hits and you should remove it over 2-3 turns  

I've taken them down several times with less miners, but ten is best so you can lose a few and still finish it off.

Really, the casket isn't too big a worry for us since we have such high leadership. With large enough units you can easily soak up the loss of 1-2 per round. Chaff will be weakened though, but they still have to use dice on the casket. It's not the most economic use of power dice.

Edited by Wendersnaven, 13 June 2015 - 10:39 PM.

#7 Thennek Stormshield

Thennek Stormshield

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 11:50 PM

Yup, that's exactly what he does.  He'll plop the casket behind a house, mountain, or other "infinitely" high object.  So, I have either 1) move the canon to get within LoS, or 2) blast the impediment to kingdom come (if possible).  Then with two canon firing at the casket it takes at least 2 rounds, and more realistically 3, to turn the casket into powder. By that time the casket has killed both of my organ gun crews.  

Yes, Hex Wraiths, that's their name.  He never allows me to get into combat with them.  They just fly over me, doing damage each flyover.  He waits to summon these little "jewels" until after his casket has taken out my organ guns.  So, I need to take out that casket quicker.  I was thinking rangers over miners figuring they'd have a slightly higher survivability.  Especially with Bugman leading them.  Anymore, I don't even bother taking warriors or longbeards. I just take quarrelers and/or thunderers.  Hmm...any way to give them "magic" attacks?  I put small units of quarrelers, or thunderers to either side of my war machines to attempt to hold them against his scouting horse bowmen.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rules, buffs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users