• Please log in to reply
748 replies to this topic

#741 Oath Stoned

Oath Stoned

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 10:10 PM

@dubren. It seems like many ppl are losing faith according to a few of the malign portent stories.

#742 jouke1988

jouke1988

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 06:36 AM

I really like what I have seen so far for this update. I know that they are struggling with the introduction of Norsca into the game. However, up until now, I have had so much fun with the Mortal Empires. I tried to start as all of the different races and all offer a very different game. I am really looking forward to crushing some Dark Elves with Alarrielle.

#743 Hero of Rome

Hero of Rome

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 06:55 AM

Yep, I just ignore all the whining on the forums, sometimes reading posts there make me embarrassed about being a member of the Total War community. This update seems like an extremely promising one and I'm looking forward to it.

#744 Dubren

Dubren

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 134 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 06:47 PM

whelp Alith sure has a few interesting abilities and mechanics

https://steamcdn-a.a...pg?t=1527177699

https://store.steamp...II__Alith_Anar/

@oath stoned: I already disliked Sigmar for a very long time and i also don't follow Age of Sigmar stuff.

My main problem is when they have characters who question Sigmar is that despite good points against his cult, these points are almost immediately ignored or the people who question Sigmar are almost always portrayed as wrong to question Sigmar.

The question i never get a answer for is why is he so important, why can other gods not do what he does.

#745 Zidane_blade

Zidane_blade

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 07:40 PM

Because sigmar saved Kurgan Ironbeard, and united the human tribes in the area.
Ulric is a god of battle, destruction and winther.

I believe there is a difference ☺

#746 Dubren

Dubren

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 134 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 10:52 AM

Because sigmar saved Kurgan Ironbeard, and united the human tribes in the area.
Ulric is a god of battle, destruction and winther.

I believe there is a difference ☺

I was actually planning on respond to this yesterday but somebody i deeply respected died and i hit me hard.

If at any point i come over as aggressive or rude i apologize it is not my intent.

My reply will probably come over as heavily bias but i hope to clarify what my problems are with the Sigmars cult vs Ulrics cult or how i have a problem how some writers ignore the problems of Sigmars cult while bashing the other cults in the empire.

Note that while this will likely come over as bias I do see the many flaws of Ulrics followers and some of its teachings, the 'don't wear a helmet' specifically is, i think we all can agree, pretty stupid.

1.Ulric gave blessed Sigmar while he was uniting the tribes, don't forget Ulric is also the god of wolves and wolves are pack animals it would make sense that he wanted the tribes to unite.

This was clearly confirmed when he went to the Teutogen and was challenged to a battle to the dead by their leader in the chamber that housed the flame of Ulric.

Sigmar was actually losing until he was forced back into the flame, instead of burning him it filled him with new strength and when he launched himself at his adversary a wolf howl  was heard, a clear sign of his favor.

2.Sigmar is also a war god but is often more seen as a defensive one, concerned with the defense of the Empire.

Ulric is more aggressive but mainly against anything chaos related.(and we all know that is the best way to deal with chaos)

3.the cult of Sigmar took a lot of aspects from Ulric his cult and was actively promoted by the southern nobility, since the cult preached that the nobles represented Sigmars power on the world and so questioning them or going against their will was practically heresy.

This is directly against what the cult of Ulric preaches, who believe a leader must prove themselves worthy.

4. the case of severe corruption within the cult of Sigmar, best example the extra vote they were able to get from the corrupt Ludwig, that makes the cult more morally questionable but is then promptly ignored by other writers and for some reason paints Sigmars cult as if it is some sort of shining beacon, while downplaying or ignoring the importance of other cults.

I hope that this clarifies a few of my problems with Sigmars cult

#747 Hero of Rome

Hero of Rome

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 01:50 PM

As an Empire player, I can't stand out of this argument ^^.

Sigmar probably never wished for the Cult of Sigmar in the Empire to become a corrupt and hierarchical structure. For example, I doubt that it was Sigmar's intention for the Cult of Sigmar to cause a war with Talabecland in the Time of the Three Emperors, or for the Ludwig the Fat to be able to bribe the Grand Theogonist with an Electoral vote. As with many existing state religions, The Cult of Sigmar in Warhammer developed differently to how the founder probably envisioned it to develop. Ultimately, Sigmar was just a guy who tried his best to help those in need, and drive evil from the area that would become The Empire. As far as I know, Sigmar never actually created a doctrine for his followers, they just coined the idea after Sigmar's disappearance. Indeed - as Dubren mentioned - the Cult of Sigmar did not actually exist until after his disappearance, Sigmar was just a worshipper of Ulric. Instead, I would argue that the Cults of Sigmar and Ulric may have simply developed differently around the culture of the provinces which took them up - the Cult of Sigmar is a far more corrupt and fanatical establishment than the Cult of Ulric, but they both hold the view of protecting the innocent and banishing evil ect. Subsequently, the corruption of Sigmar's Cult is not necessarily an issue of the Cult itself, but off its structure and development.

As stated before, Sigmar and Ulric's doctrines contain the similar themes of protecting the innocent, banishing evil and fighting heroically (at least in theory anyway). It is true, however, that Ulric focuses on the more wild and aggressive aspects of these teachings, while the Cult of Sigmar is more based around the protective ones. In some ways, as looked at earlier, this mirrors the Cults' developments - the Cult of Ulric represents the more barbaric and traditional aspects of the Empire religion, while the Cult of Sigmar is somewhat the more (for the lack of a better term) 'modernised' version, thinned by money and hierarchical structure. Ultimately however, both Cults express similar themes, however the internal structure of the Cult of Sigmar allows for a far higher degree of material corruption and decadence. It should also be worth noting that the Cults of Ulric and Taal were just as politically savvy and influential in the Time of the Three Emperors, so it's not as if the Cult of Sigmar is some flawed and corrupt system and the other Cults in the Empire are some paragons of utopia. 

I'm not sure how much this response will actually help the conversation, but I just wanted to make a contribution. 

#748 Dubren

Dubren

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 134 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 03:37 PM

Yeah it's very useful, you put it better way then my little rant.

Each cult in the Empire has problems and agendas, i just get annoyed when some writers shaft the other cults in favor for one.

It makes these little conflicts and politics less interesting.

The opening for Karl Franz is a bit of a offender in this part in my opinion, they present Todbringer and the Cult of Ulric as sore losers who want to hinder Franz just because they lost.

Instead of going deeper into the tensions between the two cults, how the Ar-Ulric may be afraid that the cult of Sigmar may use Franz for their own agenda, since they were the ones who secured Franz his victory, to diminish the power of Ulrics cult.

How some of Franz his laws are very unpopular in the Northern parts of the Empire, the 'mutants are not real' one comes to mind.

Edited by Dubren, 26 May 2018 - 03:37 PM.

#749 Oath Stoned

Oath Stoned

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 09:25 AM

Bored play testing. I stacked everything I could against mammoths and it was fun. Thane new fire debuff, db slayer fire debuff, engineer buffs, ulthars raiders buff, grombrindal flash bomb. Then i unloaded with iron drakes and and flame cannons. It was nice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users