629 replies to this topic

#621 jouke1988

jouke1988

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 08:24 AM

I find that slayers die too easy for my liking. I really have to keep them in reserve for specific purposes and against any army without big beasties or trolls they are quite useless. I like the Miners with blast packs, they are able to create a big problem for any enemy. 

#622 Hero of Rome

Hero of Rome

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 04:01 PM

I find that slayers die too easy for my liking. I really have to keep them in reserve for specific purposes and against any army without big beasties or trolls they are quite useless. I like the Miners with blast packs, they are able to create a big problem for any enemy. 

Useless? What a beardling you are....

#623 The Bearded Baron

The Bearded Baron

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 04:17 PM

I've got to disagree with you chaps here about Irondrakes. I've found them tremendously useful.

In my first few campaigns, when the game came out, I didn't unlock them until so late in the day that it was hard to really see the benefit of them. But more recently i've been a bit quicker with the tech and have enjoyed them in mid-game a bit more. I think it started when I first used Grombrindal and had access to a unit of them from the very beginning. They roasted Orcs like nobodys business. I started by using them to shoot over the heads of my warriors as a quick final salvo before combat started. But soon I realised that if you pop them on a flank, the three volleys they would normally get into a charging unit caused more than enough carnage to cause a quick rout, even on Very Hard difficulty.

Since then i've used them as often as I can. Deploying them on the weaker flank and freeing up some troops for elsewhere. The real use of them, though, is not holding a flank, its encircling your lines and doing a few volleys across the enemy who are engaged with your shieldwall. With such compacted enemies in short distance, and unable to charge, they always reap a nasty toll. In one game I had in Co-Op with a friend, we were staring down three full stacks of savage Orcs with two-thirds of a stack of dwarfs.  The auto-resolve bar didn't even give us an outside chance. But against all odds we managed to pull out a Heroic Victory. In no small part due to the one unit of 24 Irondrakes racking up 315 kills. They outright destroyed the left flank of unarmoured orcs by themselves. A little situational, and some damn quick microing, perhaps, but nonetheless I'll never look at them the same way again after that day! And for that matter nor will Wurzhag....

#624 Zidane_blade

Zidane_blade

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 04:40 PM

Against all odds....like a true dwarf!

#625 jouke1988

jouke1988

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 09:18 PM

I have to get back to my own comment. I just finished the full campaign and won it because of a few of my slayer units. 

#626 Hero of Rome

Hero of Rome

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 07:17 AM

I have to get back to my own comment. I just finished the full campaign and won it because of a few of my slayer units. 

Nice :)

#627 jouke1988

jouke1988

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:16 AM

They killed a Chaos army with 4(!) Giants in it. Nothing else had effect but when I send in the Slayers the Giants quickly went from standing to pushing up daisies...

#628 Hero of Rome

Hero of Rome

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 03:27 PM

They killed a Chaos army with 4(!) Giants in it. Nothing else had effect but when I send in the Slayers the Giants quickly went from standing to pushing up daisies...

Obviously an axe and an orange mohawk is all you will ever need.

#629 BLOOD AXE

BLOOD AXE

Dwarf Of Legend

• Brewery Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,860 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:49 PM

Useless? What a beardling you are....

EPIC BATTLE!!!!  Much ale and gold to you mighty Longbeard!

#630 Kallstrom

Kallstrom

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:37 PM

Epic! I like the fact that Ungrim is pretty big for a typical dwarf. His size compared to the others makes him look quite intimidating. Well that, and that he is covered in the blood of his foes from mohawk to toes. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users