#1 PeterGold

PeterGold

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 02:16 PM

Hi Guys!

I'm new here so a quick introduction.

I'm Peter, 24 years old and I live in the Netherlands. I'm playing WFB for about three years now.

My first purchase was the Island of Blood box and after some try outs with the High Elves I continued with Ogres.

I'd like to start a new army and I'm thinking about Dwarfs. The only problem is that dwarfs are a slightly unpopulair army in my local gaming area and so I don't know a whole lot about them.

I kinda fell in love with the Dwarf miniature range from Scibor Miniatures and would like to use those because I don't really like the GW Dwarf models. The only models I would use from GW are the warmachines (and swap the crew for Scibor Dwarfs) and the Gyrocopter.

So with this in mind, the only units I can use for the army are Warriors, Longbeards, Thunderers, Ironbreakers, Miners, Irondrakes, Rangers, Gyrocopters and all types of warmachines.

I was thinking about the following format for a 2400 point list;

22 Thunderers, banner, musician

-shield

22 Thunderers, banner, musician

-shield

----------------------------------------------612 Core

3x Gyrocopter

Cannon

Grudge Thrower

40 Ironbreakers, full command

--------------------------------------------1030 Special

10 Irondrakes, full command

Organ Gun

--------------------------------------------300 Rare

As you can see this is without Characters and Runes.

The question is if I'm thinking in the right direction?

What do you think? Do I miss something or do I need to leave some things out?

Help is much appreciated.

Best regards,

Peter

#2 TaxiForBiggins

TaxiForBiggins

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 09:56 PM

It's a great gunline. I would prefer quarrellers over thunderers, but not a big deal (for the record, it's because they can always shoot first turn, and aruond 25% of the time, when shooting, they have +1 over thunderers due to the extra 3 inches on their short range).

I think the problem you'll find is that one you're in combat, and it will happen, you don't have a lot of punch to acually kill things. This usually comes by way of GW. The IB could possibly grind units out and win by static CR (ranks+banner), but it happens less often when you think, assuming the enemy gets a multi-charge (likely). Also, RoStoicism on them would be imperitive to have a chance of lasting the game.

Tip with the thunderers - throw the 2 extra dudes on a third rank. They can't shoot, but that's +2 W before you lose rank bonus, which can be vital against fast cav

#3 xaviier000

xaviier000

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 06:03 PM

I too would  go with a Quarreller unit with GW , no one expects you too charge a shooting unit at them , but theyll remeber when they get hit my S6 on the charge :D . I dont have any Exp using Iron breakers but i wouldnt leave home with out my hammerers now . I would also swap one of the core units to Long beards to support the Iron breakers if you use them . Gunlines are great but if they close the gap quickly you need some punch imo .

Edited by xaviier000, 05 May 2015 - 06:04 PM.

#4 PeterGold

PeterGold

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 01:30 PM

Hi Guys,

So I did some homework and worked on a list before buying any models. I came to the conclusion that, when using Scibor models only, I can and/or will use only the following models; Warriors/Longbeards with HW/Shield, Thunderers, Ironbreakers and Irondrakes. Miners and Rangers could be used but I think there are better options in the book. Warmachines, Gyrocopters and Characters are also no problem.

So as most of you already see these choices come with some weaknesses. For example, no great weapon units and no quarrelers.

With this in mind I started writing a list. I think I did a pretty decent job kitting out the warmachines and characters but this is still my first list, so advice is still much appreciated.

I'd like to know what you think. Could an army with these restrictions still be quite competitive.

Here it is, please bear(d) with me;

2400 points

*Runesmith (general) -138 points

-Rune of Spellbreaking

-Rune of Iron x2

-Rune of Stone

-Shield

( 2+Armour save, +1 wound and toughness, Parry save.)

(Joins Ironbreakers who benefit from AP and MR.)

*Thane (BSB) - 181 points

-Oathstone

-Master Rune of Grugni

-Great Weapon

(4+Armour save, 4+Ward save, +2 Strength)

(Joins Ironbreakers who benefit from the Oathstone, 5+Ward against shooting and 4+Ward against Magic)

*Runesmith - 93 points

-Rune of Stone

-Rune of Spellbreaking

-Shield

(2+Armour save, Parry save)

(Joins Irondrakes who benefit from AP and MR.)

*22 Thunderers, Standard, Musician - 306

-Shields

*22 Thunderers, Standard, Musician - 306

-Shields

*24 Ironbreakers, full command - 366

*Gyrocopter - 80

*Gyrocopter - 80

Cannon - 150

-Rune of Forging

-Rune of Burning

Grudge Thrower - 145

-Rune of Forging

-Rune of Penetrating

*Organ Gun - 145

-Rune of Forging

*22 Irondrakes, full command - 410

-Rune of Slowness 2x

That's it. At exactly 2400 points.

I am still wondering if I should include a master engineer. A voice in my head grumbles that I must. But where should I take the points from.

The main plan I have with this list is to use the Breakers and Drakes both as an anvil and hammer. They can both hold a charging unit and with AP and +1 strength from charging I hope they can also preform hammer duties.

This means however that I need to hold back and/or soften up enough enemy units so my two elite units don't get overwhelmed. I hope to do this with Gyrocopters and Warmachines...

What are your thoughts about it?

Advice and feedback are greatly appreciated!

Best regards,

Peter

Edited by PeterGold, 10 May 2015 - 01:35 PM.

#5 TaxiForBiggins

TaxiForBiggins

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 09:39 PM

Hmm. That is a problem.

Obvious first: BSB on oathstone is always a risky proposition. IIRC though, the wording might suggest that he doesn't have to accept, he just can't refuse (so champ then runesmith could accept to keep him safe a while).

I feel like you need 2 organ guns. Their ability to take units off is what will win you games. In the absense of GW, I would definitey give 1 OG RoPenetrating and babysit it with an ME. It feels kinda important for this list so I would scrounge points wherever possible by shaving points (except from the iron breakers)

I don't think I've ever played without great weapons, but I have played once in a smaller game with only 10 hammerers that got purple sun'd off over 2 turns.... in that game it was the OG with concentrated small-arms fire that pulled me through

#6 PeterGold

PeterGold

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 01:33 PM

Thanks for replying,

BSB on Oathstone isn't great, I changed that.

I see what you mean by taking another OG, but I would like to use a big unit of IronDrakes. Don't you think they can get the same job done?

Other than that I went against your advice and took points away from the Ironbreakers. In fact I took them all out and replaced them with hw/shield longbeards with the banner of stoicism. Hope they can preform the same duty, only slightly worse. :hope:

That and numbering down my thunderers got me some free points which I can spend on an Engineer and another warmachine.

Here's the list. Let me know what you think.

*Runesmith (general) - 138pts

-RoIron 2x

-RoSpellbreaking

-RoStone

-Shield

*Thane (BSB) - 156pts

-MRoGrugni

-GW

*Runesmith - 93pts

-RoSpellbreaking

-RoStone

-Shield

*Master Engineer - 87pts

-RoIron

-GW

-Dwarf Pistol

*24 Longbeards, Full cmnd. - 377pts

-RoStoicism

-shields

*14 Thunderers - 182pts

-shields

*14 Thunderers - 182pts

-shields

*Gyrocopter - 80pts

*Gyrocopter - 80pts

*Canon - 150pts

-RoForging

-RoBurning

*Grudge Thrower - 145pts

-RoForging

-RoPenetrating

*Grudge Thrower - 150pts

-RoForging

-RoPenetrating

-RoBurning

*Organ Gun - 170pts

-RoAccuracy

-RoForging

*22 Irondrakes, full cmnd - 410pts

-RoSlowness 2x

Edited by PeterGold, 11 May 2015 - 01:34 PM.

#7 Scoub

Scoub

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 03:24 PM

22 irondrakes is quite nasty. I like it!

Just my opinion, but you should double your Rune of spellbreaking. At this format you can encounter some people with 2 lvl4 wizards. If you have any chance to wipe out any gamebreaking spell (Purple sun, Dreaded, etc), you'll be way better.

#8 Gloran

Gloran

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 04:18 PM

It's a shame you can't use quarrellers, I'd use a unit of them instead of thunders. However, the irondrakes unit looks brutal! 

#9 TaxiForBiggins

TaxiForBiggins

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:56 PM

I would play this list.

Swapping IB for LB is fine, I was more worried about the boy count rather than the unit itself... a tarpit needs the bodies to create a tarpit. I would rather see about 30 shieldbeards, but you're right, they serve the same purpose just not as well. I've had great success with shieldbeards sticking around forever, so you are probably fine.

Good luck

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: list, 2400, new, scibor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users