#1 Boulderfist

Boulderfist

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 11:39 AM

Hey guys.

I was wondering if there were any Longbeard out there, who could possibly enlighten a younger beardling, such as myself.

I mostly play friendly games, with a small amount of terrain on the battlefield. This means that rules about the terrain, rarely comes in to question. But after watching several battle reports, I started wondering why some people place their War Machines in rivers, buildings etc.

The only experience I have is that it's good to place cannons on hills, giving them the opportunity to see most of the battlefield. Likewise you could place the anvil / bunkers behind hills, so the opponent can't target them due to bad visibility.

I see there are a lot of different threads discussing the pros and cons in selecting different War Machines. Continued by a debate of what runes are worth taking, whilst which ones are not. I would like to request a guide to properly place these expensive units.

I hope it doesn't come of as a silly request, but I seriously think that a guide like this wouldn't only benefit me, but also any future beardling - who might wonder the exact same thing.

Some of the things I wonder about is why you'd place - say a cannon - inside a building or a river?

- What's the positive effects of this? - And the negative?

I'd really appreciate any help I could get on this subject. Thanks in advance to all of you who took time to participate, in this quest for enlightenment :horse:

- Cheers!

#2 Granitbeard

Granitbeard

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 01:43 PM

I think Building is a strange idea personally, unless you know your opponent has no template styled warmachines them selves. If your opponent has a cannon or stone thrower, you will pretty much lose that warmachine in the build turn one as it does d6 hits at the highest strength that do the most number of multiple wounds. If they don't then the cover modifier vs ranged attacks is nice plus the fighting in a building part of things helps the warmachine in a build out a lot, they only get 6 infantry guys, no rank, no standard, and no mounts. All that means they live longer to most shooting and in combat. You get line of site from the building and basically 360 degrees of sight. A thing to note, GW does say that putting things like mortars and Stone Throwers in roofed buildings is really being cheese right in the rulebook. But they allow this some you can place things on top of towers or in openings of parts of buildings.

On the river side of things, I am not sure really. OK so the unit attacking your warmachine gets no rank bonus again, and can't be stead fast, and would be difficult terrain for most units, but otherwise, i can think of why. Even with mysterious terrain, I wouldn't personally want my warmachines in a river.

One last thing, Warmachine treat all terrain as impassible. So pretty much once placed in the building/forest/river they are stuck there regardless of if the battle moves out of range of it.

#3 Grumpgrim

Grumpgrim

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 01:58 PM

Only reason I've ever put wm in those places is fire lanes. Cannons in a tower are great when playing against some enemies like lizardmen with buff-triceratops' hiding in the back field.

#4 Boulderfist

Boulderfist

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 11:28 PM

Wouldn't placing your i.e Cannon in the river force the enemy to take dangerous terrain checks when charging?

#5 Granitbeard

Granitbeard

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 11:55 AM

Only some enemies. Might not always be fast cav or fliers coming for them.

#6 Thormak

Thormak

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 06:13 AM

I place them using terrain as an additional obstacle for my opponent to overcome. However i never place them inside terrain.

War machines have a few relevant factors to placement, if you place them alongside your dwarfs then enemy archer fire can typically shoot back. If you place them behind your dwarf units then they can have reduced arcs of fire and potentially fewer targets.

If you place them far away from dwarf units then other armies can easily take them out with faster moving units. Placing them too far back on the board edge can reduce potential targets, placing them far forward can risk getting charged.

My personal playstyle is staggered defensive line, i place them with no dwarfs in front, but dwarf units a few inches to the side and a few inches further forward.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: war machines, placement, deployment, terrain, rules

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users