9 replies to this topic

#1 Thorgrimtheunyielding

Thorgrimtheunyielding

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 01:02 AM

How many axes did Grimnir have? I thought there were only two, but Thogrim, Gotrek, Grombrindal, and even Grimnir evidently use one of his axes. Were there more than two rune axes or are two of those axes imposters. (Bookwise, the true welders would be Gotrek and Grimnir)

#2 Theatralic

Theatralic

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 02:07 AM

I would count Thorgrim and Gotrek.

Grombrindal for me was allways a bit more of an Tongue and Cheek Mascott to me who could break the Rules of Lore and him having one of Grimnirs Axes made never that much sense imho.

Grimnir being "alive" and still having his Axe is new to me and seems to be from the new Book I guess. I allways subscribed to the Notion that Gotrek had that one without realizing it (Can`t speak for the late rones but in the first 7 Books it never was clearly stated that itw as Grimnirs Book, but we Fans loved that idea and it MAde perfect sense)

The Theory was that Grimnir somehow had lost it during his Quest to close the Chaos Gate . 

Thorgrims Axe is the One Grimnir left his Son Morgrim and has been passed won from High King to High King. I would never doubt that Part

Use the Search Option, that Question has come up several Times over the Years as its one of those "Plot Holes" and leaves a lot open to your own imagination.

Edited by Theatralic, 01 April 2015 - 02:07 AM.

#3 Granitbeard

Granitbeard

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 11:59 AM

Gotrek found his axe in the Chaos wastes. So that is one. Thorgrims is the High Kings axe, which was handed down over the years from high king to high king, so that should be one as well. Grombrindal would be one, but an out of date one, and would of been the same thing that the High King would have (from what I remember). So yes there are "three" but it is time and fluff related more then anything.

#4 Knud Bryansson

Knud Bryansson

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 12:21 PM

Would the White dwarfs when he "passed away" not have passed the axe on. Then since it is his spirit avenging, could it not be either another rune axe or the spirit shaping his weapon?

#5 Grumpgrim

Grumpgrim

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 02:43 PM

Gotrek found his axe in the Chaos wastes. So that is one. Thorgrims is the High Kings axe, which was handed down over the years from high king to high king, so that should be one as well. Grombrindal would be one, but an out of date one, and would of been the same thing that the High King would have (from what I remember). So yes there are "three" but it is time and fluff related more then anything.

That or the high kings axe got lost and they replaced it with a replica, hoping no one would notice. Would explain why Thorgrim hits like a wet noodle in combat despite supposedly wielding the weapon of a god.

#6 Thorfar Salokin

Thorfar Salokin

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 06:41 PM

I don't think that they have ever stated definitely that Gotrek's axe was one of Grimnir's although the stories and the description in the first army book points firmly to that conclusion. Not sure if the latest stories change this. By contrast they have said that the High Kings (RiP) and the White Dwarf's did! You could argue that while Grimnir traditionally wielded two axes he might have had a few more stashed away .... I'd imagine he would!

What is odd is Ghal Maraz, supposedly forged by Alaric the Mad? ... (credited to a runelord I'm sure) has a number of master runes and is more powerful than the High Kings! Pfft

#7 Elkoreb

Elkoreb

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 10:34 PM

The way i see it Gotrek's and Thorgrim's axes would be the authentic ones, with the one carried by Grombindal being an ancient heirloom from his own times alive, probably forged by the ancestors themselves.

As for the axe used by Grimnir, i think it's more akin the essence of Ghal Maraz used by Karl Franz Ascended during the End Times. An ethereal manifestation of raw power shaped by his owner into something he feels more confortable using.

I hope we get some sort of disclosure with the coming new edition, but i'm not holding my breath.

#8 Thorgrimtheunyielding

Thorgrimtheunyielding

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 11:30 PM

In the new book SPOILER (hightlight to see):  Grimnir gives Gotrek his axe, so he gets both axes.

#9 Durwan

Durwan

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 11:34 PM

How many axes did Grimnir have? I thought there were only two, but Thogrim, Gotrek, Grombrindal, and even Grimnir evidently use one of his axes. Were there more than two rune axes or are two of those axes imposters. (Bookwise, the true welders would be Gotrek and Grimnir)

So im no expert, but iv read the last slayer book and have some ideas atleast.

Of the 4 you name there should be only 2 axes, the ones Grimnir had Originaly. What you read in the book was that Grimnir had 1 axe that he gave to Gotrek(in slayer 2015 book), so Gotrek then had 2 identical. Grimnir also stated that the axe Gotrek had had for several years indeed was one of Grimnirs axes. But Grimnir also stated that the Axe he gave Gotrek was his to give, because it was his sons. He went as far as saying that Karak Kadrin was fallen and therefore Grimnir had the axe. So this isent the axe he has used for eons to slay deamons in the chaos world, he might just have had it since the slayer keep went down days or weeks before Gotrek arrived. 

Grimnir himself did not take either of the axes with him to the deamons world beyond the gates. In slayer we see him fighting with his bare hands against deamons, and that he has a more normal axe because as they write "its Grimnir"(like he needed more than a normal axe...)

But lets follow the 2 axes. First Grimnir had both after Grungni made them. While leaving for the Chaos wastes he gave one to his Son, which is the one that followed in the kings line to Thorgrim, and then again was passed as the 2. axe to Gotrek from Grimnir himself in Slayer.(se above)

The other axe on the other hand is the one Grimnir took North to the chaos wastes. What hapend we know little off, but the strange thing is that the Dwarf Grombrindal seemed to live in the same time as Grimnir but also in the later time. I would guess that somehow Grombrindal found the axe after Grimnir, and then used it in his mortal life. Grimnir on the other hand turned south for some reason and buildt the first slayer keep with path to the Chaos land instead of using the northern gate.
When Grombrindal dies from his mortal lief( or something like that )the axe is again free and ends up in Karak Eights Peaks. Where in newer days the prince of the keep takes it into the waste to try to get back to the Dwarven lands. He dies with the axe, and many years later Gotrek finds his corpse and the axe. Giving Gotrek his primary axe.

Now to Grombrindal. Even if a dwarf can live for several hundrerd years, 2500 is a bit much, specialy if you look at the length of his beard... A more "natural" way to see it is that Grombrindal  is dead, but his spirrit has come back to fight. The axe he wields therefore is the same as he had in life, therfore Gotreks but its in extended version of Grombrindal spirit, ergo not the corporeal axe itself. 

Just my ideas, but wel.

Edited by Durwan, 02 April 2015 - 11:42 PM.

#10 Ksek

Ksek

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 06:26 AM

The 'answer' to this problem has been 'answered' in the End Times.

(for more information)

completegotrekandfelix.info

A site dedicated to Gotrek & Felix.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: grimnir axe white dwarf, gotrek, ax

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users