26 replies to this topic

#21 Grumpgrim

Grumpgrim

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 03:33 PM

And that's good, because as Ehstevey mentions, WHF has room for a bit of silliness, a bit of comedy, and a bit of black humour. Those elements are important.

I'd go so far as to say they are essential.

This is a fundamentally silly hobby. Most of us are grown men, playing with plastic soldiers. If you were to take this seriously you would look like a fool, or a manchild.

It is silly, it needs to be done with a laugh and a smirk. It has to be readily admitted as a non-serious thing we do for "I swear too much" and giggles.

Embedded in that is that the writers must not take the setting to serious, not reduce it to complete grimdark devoid of silly references and history nerd in-jokes. The setting itself needs to be built in such a way that you can laugh at it, but at the same time the characters and factions need to take themselves dead serious. Because that is part of the joke.

GW needs to keep doing stuff like have bugmans rangers gain flammable on a bad d6 roll from drinking beer, name lizardmen generals tik'tak'to, and have long very serious descriptions of orc clan headbutt-based powerstructures.

And GW needs more silly stuff like what we found in Gotrek&Felix. Because the second the grimdark gets so bad you no longer snigger every few pages of a GW publication, a game that is based around laughing with friends at funny d6 results has lost it's way.

#22 Dwarven Pride

Dwarven Pride

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 12:46 AM

Hey what happened to gotreks eyepatch and nose chain?

Seems to be missing on the cover art.

DP

#23 Grim1

Grim1

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 01:14 AM

Gotrek's low level regen eventually heals everything back to normal??

#24 Refah

Refah

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 11:39 AM

He lost his eyepatch in Kinslayer. Hasn't really had a chance to go shopping due to that pesky little apocalypse.

#25 Krudd Kraggsson

Krudd Kraggsson

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 01:13 AM

And that's good, because as Ehstevey mentions, WHF has room for a bit of silliness, a bit of comedy, and a bit of black humour. Those elements are important.

I'd go so far as to say they are essential.

This is a fundamentally silly hobby. Most of us are grown men, playing with plastic soldiers. If you were to take this seriously you would look like a fool, or a manchild.

It is silly, it needs to be done with a laugh and a smirk. It has to be readily admitted as a non-serious thing we do for "I swear too much" and giggles.

Embedded in that is that the writers must not take the setting to serious, not reduce it to complete grimdark devoid of silly references and history nerd in-jokes. The setting itself needs to be built in such a way that you can laugh at it, but at the same time the characters and factions need to take themselves dead serious. Because that is part of the joke.

GW needs to keep doing stuff like have bugmans rangers gain flammable on a bad d6 roll from drinking beer, name lizardmen generals tik'tak'to, and have long very serious descriptions of orc clan headbutt-based powerstructures.

And GW needs more silly stuff like what we found in Gotrek&Felix. Because the second the grimdark gets so bad you no longer snigger every few pages of a GW publication, a game that is based around laughing with friends at funny d6 results has lost it's way.

Well said

#26 pitasinski

pitasinski

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:05 PM

For me the ending is actually quite good. We all know it could be worse - like death by Skaven assassination... And I knew it that Gotrek would gain the second axe and become an avatar of Grimnir! I Just knew it. 

Talking about grimdark balance. I do find the William King novels and the feel of 5/6 ed the best balanced. As it was mentioned before - you had the serious Test kickers with whom you did not **** around, you had the topless witch elves, you had heroes like Golgfag or Long Drong (the DoW book was superb). Even the story in the 6 ed Dwarf book, told by Redmane had a great touch. 

What more can I say? Gotrek will be remebered. 

#27 Ksek

Ksek

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 06:27 AM

A Doom worth indeed!

completegotrekandfelix.info

A site dedicated to Gotrek & Felix.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users