7 replies to this topic

#1 Rhundurin

Rhundurin

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 07:56 PM

Hi guys,

Got an idea to create a semi-strollaz list with irondrakes instead of rangers. Would like to hear what you guys think as I am new to dwarfs.

Runesmith - 93 pts

General, shield, RoStone, RoSpellbreaking x 1

(goes in the hammerer unit)

Thane - 223 pts

BSB, shield, MRoGrungni, RoStoicism, Strollaz

(goes in the longbeards unit)

24 Longbears - 377 pts

shield, FCG, RoSlowness

20 Hammerers - 350 pts

musician, standard, RoSlowness, RoSanctuary

14 Irondrakes - 275 pts

FCG, Strollaz

Gyrocopter - 80 pts

Gyrocopter - 100 pts

Vanguard

TOTAL: 1498 pts

#2 Rewelus

Rewelus

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 08:10 PM

Change one Gyro for Great weapons for all. And maybe one more Ro Spellbreaking and Furnace for your Runesmith or use no gyros and use one cannon and great weapon etc. You must see it in numbers.  But it is only my view. 

#3 Grumpgrim

Grumpgrim

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 10:49 PM

Switch the RoStoicism on the BsB and Slowness on Longbeards around. This way the longbeards don't lose stubborn if the thane gets killed.

And why don't your Hammerers have strollaz? They are your killyest unit, and also lack shields to weather ranged fire, you want them up in your opponents face the most!

Grugni is neat for gunlines as it protects from ranged fire, but strollaz is all about getting in your opponents face quick so you don't get much utility out of it. And it costs almost as much as another gyro!

RoSlowness is good for giving you an extra turn of shooting or a better shot at getting +1str from the charge, but with strollaz you are so close to the enemy that it is unlikely their charges will fail.

A strollaz list gets close and launches the charge before the opponent can outmaneuvre us. Gunlines stay back and rely on grugni and slowness to whittle the enemy down before countercharging. If you try to do both you will lose focus and divide your hitting power. A strollaz list needs everyone up in the enemy's face. It can hybrid by leaving a cheap ranged units like cannon and some quarellers for shooting monsters and chaff, but don't waste banner runes on those.

So without changing any of the models here is how I'd give the list focus;

Runesmith - 93 pts

General, shield, RoStone, RoSpellbreaking x 1

(goes in the hammerer unit)

Thane - 128 pts

BSB, shield, RoStrollaz

(goes in the longbeards unit)

24 Longbears - 377 pts

shield, FCG, RoStoicism

20 Hammerers - 335 pts

musician, standard, RoStrollaz

14 Irondrakes - 275 pts

FCG, Strollaz

Gyrocopter - 80 pts

Gyrocopter - 100 pts

Vanguard

TOTAL: 1388 pts

This is a straight and to the point army. Strollaz up, charge enemy, gyros is where the finesse comes in as they can steam chaff, hunt warmachines, flank, disrupt enemy units and block enemy flankers.

In the list above you also have 112 points to spare, there are several useful posibilities depending on what you expect to face;

-Another runesmith with spellbreaking and other goodies, shuts down annoying magic and gives your longbeards some bite via Armour Piercing

-Another vanguarding gyro to ensure redundancy, as you are bound to lose at least one in the opening salvoes.

-Rangers, use them to scout up before vanguard moves. This blocks enemy vanguards, and ensures your own are not blocked. The Rangers can then shoot enemy chaff or charge in with their own great weapons!

-Free up another 13 to 38 points and get a cannon, preferably with RoForging. Useful if the enemy brings a big monster, steam tank, or similar. However because you strollazed up the cannon will probably only get a single round of shooting before combat is joined.

-Ambushing miners, pop up in your enemy's backfield and hit them from the rear! Because you strollazed up the enemy should still be near their own board edge, but miners still have a tendency to show up late. That's several turns you are one unit down compared to your enemy.

-More dwarfs! Strengthening up the unitys you already have is always a good idea as well. Perhaps give the runesmith fiery ring of thori so he can flame hordes, or silver horne of vengance for more attacks on thr charge?

In conclusion, never strollaz halfway. Hit decisively with full force. Grugni and slowness is for castling gunlines. My personal recomendation is that an extra gyro will greatly strengthen the list potential, and also gives you as a general more interesting (and thus fun) tactical choises apart from pushing your blocks down the enemy throat. :thumbup:

Edited by Grumpgrim, 28 February 2015 - 10:54 PM.

#4 Krudd Kraggsson

Krudd Kraggsson

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 01:04 AM

I agree with grumpgrim, its all or nothing for strollaz. Drop the slowness runes - you want your troops in combat, even if the enemy get the charge, and they'll most likely make charges on you from point blank range anyway. The best use of the spare points imo would be to add 5 rangers to protect your vanguard moves. You must also add sanctuary on one of your strollaz banners to adhere to the rule of pride. Any leftover points can be put towards more bodies in the main units.

#5 Rhundurin

Rhundurin

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 08:45 AM

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the input. You gave me a lot to think about.

I will definatelly get rid of Grungni, give strollaz to the hammerers and switch the stoicism to the longbeards - thanks Grumpgrim.

The idea behind the RoSlowness for all was to try and do something unexpected.

I was thinking like this....with vanguard I get up to 12 - 15" in front of the enemy (considering we usually play on 48x48" tables with 12" deployment zones) but I cannot charge if I have the first turn. If the first turn goes to the enemy, with me being so close he will probably charge. With RoSlowness there is a chance that some of the charges will fail giving me hopefully a possibility to lounch countercharges to the flanks. Also it surprises a lot of people:)

#6 Grumpgrim

Grumpgrim

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 10:11 AM

Oh, slowness can definitely be a boon, the issue is rather banners vs boots. Most all the banner runes are great utility, but they cost points. Every point spent on banners is less dwarfs in the units, less gear for the heros, less redundancy for the supports.

You already spend 125 points on vanguarding, that is almost 10% of your force lost to the strollaz-tax. Add another 35 for stubborn longbeards. Keep adding slowness and other stuff and you are looking at almost 20% of your potential army strength traded away for various extras.

This is not to say it can't work. (or indeed buy you time to paint up new models if you are new to the army) But it does mean that you are also taking larger risks, as your army is made smaller and less duarble from it. Your idea hinges on the enemy trying and failing a long charge, but strollaz is best countered by him deploying back and shooting at you as your small units trundle forward. Because of the cost of all the banners your units just don't have the manpower to survive a round or two of decent shooting and magic and then win combats decicively.

The general consensus is that we can afford one neat trick with our banners, but trying several tricks at once bleeds our ranks too much from points cost. That said, go try out a strollaz+slowness list if it sounds like fun and you don't mind the risk inherent in smaller and less durable units. At the very least you should get a pair of fun games out of it before your regular opponents realize how to counter it.

#7 Krudd Kraggsson

Krudd Kraggsson

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 04:00 PM

Getting rid of grungni is also not necessarily an automatic decision. grumpgrim is correct about not sinking too many points into banners. However, your bsb is very squishy. A 4+ ward on him is not something to sniff at (alongside the 5+ versus shooting for your troops). I think its a matter of play testing what you prefer for those final 100ish points

#8 Rhundurin

Rhundurin

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 09:34 PM

You're probably right....got too much carried away with all the possibilities lying in runes that I forgot that the whole idea is to smash face:) And for that you need boots and firepower. I really wanted to fit the Irondrakes in there but came to the conclusion that it's probably not worth it in a game this size, so I came up with another list. 

Runesmith - 113 pts

shield, RoStone, RoSpellbreaking x 2

Thane - 194 pts

GW + shield, RoGrungni, Strollaz

28 Longbeards - 457 pts

GW, FCG, RoStoicism

20 Hammerers - 335 pts

musician, standard, Strollaz

Canon - 145 pts

RoForging

Gyrocopter - 80 pts

Gyrocopter - 100 pts