#1 Pellegrim

Pellegrim

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 08:21 AM

Hello Dawi,

Greatbeards, a fine choice for any army. These hard hitting veterans can be prepped to be stubborn and can thus be run in relative small unit's. They also provide a great bunker for a Lord or even a whole line of characters (thanks Bruenor!).
I've been struggeling to find good models I can use as Greatbeards with wysiwyg rules, so no shields etc. Not easy. I don't like the fact that GW uses the same models for hammerers and longbeards. I've searched and added my findings so far in this post.

Warlord Swiftaxes and Kneebreakers

Dynamics: ok, a bit static.

Pose: as in combat

Variety: three models Swiftaxes and two models Kneebreakers, but bodies and extra weapons can be ordered.

Feel: brute, not beefed.

Armour: heavy, chain and scales/plate

Beards: mmm, are these longbeards?

PS They are supposed to be 28mm scale, but come from a 25mm line. Anybody has these and compared them to GW models?

Price per 10: €44,43 (excl. shipping)

Blackhat Highland dwarfs with polearms 

Dynamics: good.

Pose: as in combat or ready for combat

Variety: four models

Feel: modestly brute, alot of character

Armour: cloths, not visible

Beards: mmm, getting there, but french hats?

Price per 10: €18,75 (excl. shipping)

Blackhat Explorers with axes

Dynamics: good.

Pose: as in combat or waiting

Variety: four models

Feel: modestly brute, traditional "troops-for-hire", almost Empire-like

Armour: cloths, not visible

Beards: mmmmm, need fertilizer.

Price per 10: € 18,75 (excl. shipping)

Dwarf Wars Verans Iron Guard (Ironfist Iron Guard Regiment)

Dynamics: ok / good.

Pose: as in combat

Variety: same poses, small variations in details

Feel: medium / brute, savage

Armour: heavy, chain and scales/plate

Beards: yes getting there!

Price per 10: €16,50 (excl. shipping)

GW Longbeards

Dynamics: good

Pose: ready for combat / marching

Variety: similar poses, small variations in beards (f.e.)

Feel: brute, elite

Armour: very heavy,scale and plate mail

Beards: oh yes

Price per 10: €40 (excl. shipping)

Gamezone Veterans

Dynamics: very good

Pose: waiting for orders?

Variety: great variety, 9 different models,

Feel: buffed, respectable

Armour: non visible

Beards: them beards!

Price per 10: €35 (excl. shipping)

--------OOP-----------------OOP-----------------OOP--------------------OOP-------------------------OOP-----------------------OOP-----------------------OOP-----------------------

OOP - GW Longbeards (bottom rows)

They look nice, good poses. Ok variety. They look noble. Armour looks heavy.

What did I miss?

Edited by Pellegrim, 27 February 2015 - 11:30 PM.

#2 Monk

Monk

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 12:30 AM

What about GW's old Longbeards.  Always looking casual leaning on their weapons.  "Don't waste your energy youngling, they will be here soon enough and then you can strike your pose".

#3 Pellegrim

Pellegrim

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 01:33 AM

Added them (the correct ones?)

Man, those are the ones. Thanks for posting. Must be hard to get a hold of 25 of those...Ebay here I come ;)

#4 Zanko

Zanko

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 07:34 AM

What about these guys from Black Tree Design?

fa7963.jpg

Link: http://www.blacktree...cat=2315&page=1

#5 Pellegrim

Pellegrim

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 07:46 AM

Looking good zanko, I have a unit of those. BUT I am specifically assembling wysiwyg Longbeards with Great weapons in this thread. There's not alot of those, but they are the backbone of alot of armies these days.

Edited by Pellegrim, 23 February 2015 - 07:37 PM.

#6 karakvarn

karakvarn

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 08:26 AM

Hi Pellegrim

I have one oop Marauder longbeard - the one with the huge sword. Perhaps we can trade/deal?

#7 Pellegrim

Pellegrim

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 01:28 PM

PM sent

#8 Pellegrim

Pellegrim

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 07:39 PM

Anybody know any models / producers that do longbeards with great weapons?

#9 Benke

Benke

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 08:03 PM

Gamezone makes really nice Veterans with great weapons. A bit pricey but lovely models. Slightly beefier than GW too

#10 Pellegrim

Pellegrim

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 08:19 PM

:thumbup:  (added them, love them models. And the price, yeah €32,70 per ten versus GW's €40 per ten, still a better deal then GW. And you have real Longbeards, not a Hammerer/Longbeard model. So all-in-all not a bad deal)

PS The OOP greatbeards from GW are priced outragious at Ebay, I found them ranging from €5 to a staggering €23 per model. Are these rare model or something? Or did they not sell alot of them? I love them model too, but these prices!!! 

Edited by Pellegrim, 23 February 2015 - 08:21 PM.

#11 Reka Dvegrsson

Reka Dvegrsson

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 09:41 PM

I think the price is due to their popularity - and they've been out of production for longer than the metal ironbreakers/hammerers so even more sought after perhaps? I'd love to get some, but I'll likely have to stick with the 3 I have from years ago ha!

#12 Pellegrim

Pellegrim

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 10:56 PM

That must be it then. Very popular, out of production, balanced, beefy, beardy dwarfs. Just chillin. They don't care. They will put the hurt to it when it comes. Look at their weapons. There are Ironguts out there with smaller weapons. 

PS editted the overvied, added prices. HUGE variety in price per 10 models, ranging from €16,50 to €45 per 10. That almost a factor three.

#13 Ranulf Doomhammer

Ranulf Doomhammer

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 01:43 AM

That must be it then. Very popular, out of production, balanced, beefy, beardy dwarfs. Just chillin. They don't care. They will put the hurt to it when it comes. Look at their weapons. There are Ironguts out there with smaller weapons. 

PS editted the overvied, added prices. HUGE variety in price per 10 models, ranging from €16,50 to €45 per 10. That almost a factor three.

And there's little wonder they're so popular. IMO they're the best Dwarfs that GW ever made - certainly the most dignified and venerable with their huge axes, bigger beards and even calmer pose. I've always had a soft spot for the one with a mace myself. Once, in 6th edition, he was the only CC Dwarf in the entire range with another weapon than a hammer or an axe, which one might think is a bit strange for a conservative longbeard... except, when you look at these models, you realize that They Do What They Want, beardlings and fashion be damned. 

With that said, I guess I don't have much to add with this post other than praise of those old longbeards and (another!) recommendation that you really should try to get them if you can. They're so amazing.

#14 Pellegrim

Pellegrim

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 11:25 PM

Yes Ranulf, and I've been incredibly lucky and very happy to have laid my hands on 17 of these greatbeards! Still need some 8 more, plus a command set, but we're getting there :) :) :)

#15 Reka Dvegrsson

Reka Dvegrsson

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 10:09 AM

They'd look excellent with some newer shields - maybe the plastic ironbreaker ones?

#16 Pellegrim

Pellegrim

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 08:51 PM

Probably yes, but I'm keeping these with great weapons, to let them fit the wysiwyg rule :)

#17 xpalpatinex

xpalpatinex

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 05:52 AM

The GW ones you're mentioning are wonderful and probably the best bet for greatbeards. Another option is extending the beards on some other figures you might like but just don't work...I'm not good at GS'ing but just adding length to existing beards should be about as easy as it gets. 

#18 Refah

Refah

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 06:42 PM

Just going to state my opinion here: GW Longbeards with great axes might be my favorite dwarf models of all time... So they get my vote.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: model, unit, greatbeard, longbeard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users