4 replies to this topic

#1 dmorley21

dmorley21

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 06:21 PM

Hello all. I'm currently working n a 2500 point list for a small round robin tournament in the end of April against three friends who play High Elves, Dark Elves, and Vampire Counts. We won't be playing with any End Times rules (apart from the 50% change for Lords and Heroes), however we have decided to modify the core sections for each of our armies to build different lists that will open up different options for us as follows:

Slayers count as Core for Dwarfs

Swordmasters count as Core for High Elves

Spirit Hosts and TK Chariots count as Core for Vampire Counts

The Dark Elf player doesn't really want anything to change to his core, but we're considering giving Corsairs the ability to pay to upgrade to have Vanguard or Ambush. 

I pretty much know I'll be facing the following things from my opponents:

HE: Fighty Char on Griffon, Frostheart Phoenix, Swordmasters, WL w/ BotWD, Phoenix Guard, Bolt Thrower, Archmage, 8 Silver Helms, 5 Dragon Princes

DE: Fighty Char on Manticore, War Hydra, WE, Repeater Xbowmen, Bolt Throwers, Hydra, COK, Corsairs, Dark Riders, Executioners

VC: 2 Skellie Blocks, Blender Vamp Lord, GG, probably small Black Knight unit, Black Coach, 3 TK Chariots, 4 Spirit Hosts

Also, nobody currently runs units in hordes.

Edit (2/17): I know this is all very non-traditional, but I've finally put together a full list. 

Grimm Burloksson @ 165 

1 Runesmith @ 138

- General

- Fiery Ring of Thori

- Rune of Spellbreaking

- Rune of Warding

- Shield

1 Thane @ 220

- Battle Standard Bearer

- Master Rune of Grungni

- Strollaz' Rune

- Rune of Stoicism

1 Runesmith @ 91

- Rune of Spellbreaking

- Great Weapon

30 Slayers @ 439

- Counts as "core" choice/tax

- Standard & Musician

- 2 Troll Slayers

- Strollaz' Rune

12 Thunderers @ 186

- Shields

- Full Command

1 Gyrocopter @ 80

1 Gyrocopter @ 80

24 Ironbreakers @ 401

- Full Command

- Brace of Drakefire Pistols for Ironbeard

- Rune of Stoicism

1 Grudge Thrower @ 135

- Rune of Forging

- Rune of Accuracy

- Rune of Fire

1 Organ Gun @ 120

1 Organ Gun @ 170

- Rune of Accuracy

- Rune of Forging

18 Irondrakes @ 310

- Musician

- Ironwaren w/ Trollhammer Torpedo

Total: 2500

General Runesmith goes with the Ironbreakers using the Ring when necessary. I've had a lot of success with the ring. The other Runesmith and the BSB go with the Irondrakes. 

Basically I was planning on running to different sides of battle. The Slayers and Irondrakes go on one side with the Gyrocopters, surprising my opponent with aggressive movements (I had originally given the BSB Strollaz' as well, but then realized I had forgotten to give Stoicism to the Ironbreakers). I plan on deploying the Slayers opposite the White Lions w/ BotWD, Grave Guard, and whatever DE unit looks the scariest. 

On the other side will be the more traditional war machines guarded by Grimm, Thunderers, and the Ironbreakers. Even though I had bad luck with the Grudge Thrower last time around, it's cheaper than a Cannon w/ forging and I still think is more versatile than a Cannon as I'll be playing Elves and VC - lower toughness armies for the most part. 

I'm adamant about the Grimm as I used him to great effect when I proxied him. I also want to use my Ironbreaker unit, Organ Guns, Copters, and I want to give the "core" Slayers a go. Anything else I'm more than willing to change, though as you can see I'm looking for a fun hybrid list over a tournament build (obviously as we're using house rules). 

Edited by dmorley21, 18 February 2015 - 02:39 AM.

#2 marky

marky

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 11:39 AM

If it were me I would go for a totally unexpected list. all slayer core including lots of smaller units of redirectors and max out special with guns and gyros. 2 units of 10+ Rangers in rare. No bsb & engineer or bugman as general... Or try just 3 x slayers (hoardes?) + 4 x slayer darts + bugman & rangers + 6 gyros

Edited by marky, 19 February 2015 - 11:40 AM.

#3 dmorley21

dmorley21

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 01:49 PM

If it were me I would go for a totally unexpected list. all slayer core including lots of smaller units of redirectors and max out special with guns and gyros. 2 units of 10+ Rangers in rare. No bsb & engineer or bugman as general... Or try just 3 x slayers (hoardes?) + 4 x slayer darts + bugman & rangers + 6 gyros

I could do an all Slayer core, but taking an army that was in essence a Slayer gun line isn't what I'm looking to do. I never play straight up gun lines, and I'm not sure my friends would have been pro trying out Slayers counting as core if they knew I'd be running a list like that. 

That being said, this list is definitely an attempt to be different. I'm not sold on the BSB, but I am keeping Grimm. He's become one of my favorites. 

Why do you say Rangers over 'Drakes? Just for Bugman? 

#4 marky

marky

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 01:17 AM

I like rangers, and it lets you use bugman as a general leaving more room for slayers. I'd probably go 3 units of 30 Slayers, 3 units of 5 slayers, bugmans rangers + other rangers + 6 gyros... Just because it's a bit odd :)

#5 dmorley21

dmorley21

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 02:15 PM

I like rangers, and it lets you use bugman as a general leaving more room for slayers. I'd probably go 3 units of 30 Slayers, 3 units of 5 slayers, bugmans rangers + other rangers + 6 gyros... Just because it's a bit odd :)

It is odd, I'll give that to you. 

I'm trying to fun over odd, and I really want to use my Ironbreaker unit that I just got together and hope to paint soon in addition to my Organ Guns. Really, I'm trying to create a list that would be reflective of if Slayers were simply a core entry - though maybe a 0-1 Core entry and after that special. 

As for Bugman, I love his fluff and rules. But I'm skeptical on using him as my general, because he's so easy to kill. Plus, I loved how Grimm Burloksson played when I used him in a game so I'd rather spend my 165 pts there. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: slayers, dark elves, vampire counts, high elves

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users