Photo

1250Pt Competitive Army (To Verse Any Player)

dwarf army 1250

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JimmyD

JimmyD

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 12:03 AM

Hi everyone.

I've tried to build a 1250pt army using Battlescribe for a campaign at my local gameshop and the current list I made is getting me nowhere.. My idea of the army is to just stand and shoot, letting the opponent come to me then get into close combat only when I absolutely need to.

If anyone could suggest some changes or improvements to it, that'd be awesome.

My list is currently:

Heroes:

Runesmith - GW, Shield, Rune of Fortitude 1 & 2 (119pt)

Runesmith - GW, Shield, Rune of Spellbreaking 1 & 2 (114pt)

Core:

Quarellers x 15 - GW, Shield, Musician, Std Bearer - (225pt)

Quarellers x 15 - GW, Shield, Musician, Std Bearer - (225pt)

Special:

Cannon - Rune of Forging - (145pt)

Gyrocopter - Steam Gun (80pt)

Hammerers x 20 - Full Command (310pt)

Total: 1258pt. I need to shave 8pts off as well as have a competitive army. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Cheers! :)

Edited by JimmyD, 05 February 2015 - 01:30 AM.

#2 Krudd Kraggsson

Krudd Kraggsson

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 01:11 AM

One runesmith - with a single spell breaker - is enough (no GW) at that level. Use the spare points to beef up the quarrelers. And/or add a vanguarding gyro - if youre trying to outshoot the enemy then you want to delay them as much as possible. Or a BSB would be good (with master rune of gromril and a GW, which keeps him fairly cheap).

Edited by Krudd Kraggsson, 05 February 2015 - 01:15 AM.

#3 paxter

paxter

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 04:19 AM

If you can use named heroes then Burloksson would be ideal. But short of him I would say a BSB might me ok, as per the setup above.

I had a list for a tourney which I just used to good effect 3rd overall. I like to theme my lists, for my current craze is my dwarven tinkertown lists which is heavy on shooty and engineers.

The list below is pretty straightforward, the Thunderers + Burloksson will be your main anchor. Firing out 20 reroll misses or longer shots will be pretty godsend. Once they come close you could rank them 5x4 and u got a decent warrior block with shields. The quarrellers to keep your flanks protected as well as supporting fire. Burloksson himself is quite handy in a fight and his gun is no joke neither. If you position it well you could give his buff to your warmachines if need be but usually its not needed.

The cannon is for monster/hero and scary unit hunting. And the Organ gun is to help focus fire with your Thunderers to decimate a unit a turn. The engineer will help keep both guns going and will help keep some types of warmachine hunters at bay if they get pass your quarrellers. The two gyros will be your best friends assisting you from your own warmachine hunters, redirecting and flank burning against hordes, or even rear charge if need be.

The only downside of this army is that its is pretty much bunker down and keep on shooting then counter attack towards the end. Which does get boring. I wouldnt say its the best list, but I thought of sharing mine and maybe it can help you in some way :P

• Heroes
    • Grim Burloksson
    • Master Engineer

Brace of Dwarf Pistols

• Ancestral Heirlooms and Runes

Rune of Stone

• Core
    • Quarrellers x10
      • 10x Great Weapons

• Quarrellers x10
      • 10x Great Weapons

• Thunderers x19

Musician, Standard Bearer

• Champion

Dwarf Handgun, 19x Shields

• Special
    • Cannon
      • Rune of Burning

• Gyrocopter

Steam Gun

• Gyrocopter

Steam Gun

• Rare
    • Organ Gun
      • Rune of Burning    

• Rune of Accuracy                 

#4 JimmyD

JimmyD

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 04:26 AM

Are thunderers any good? Every dwarf player I've spoken to at the gameshop has said that Quarellers are much better than Thunderers because of the 30" range etc

#5 TaxiForBiggins

TaxiForBiggins

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 04:37 AM

Correct. The range ensures T1 shooting and usually a better S&S reaction

#6 JimmyD

JimmyD

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 04:38 AM

Silly question but what's T1 and S&S?

#7 paxter

paxter

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 06:09 AM

T1 - turn 1

SnS - Stand and shoot

cept with burlockson u do get to opt to add that range. in 2500 pts I use quarrellers x30 of them with shields + runepriest and burlockson but again at this point level to have 2 characters in one unit is a bit too much.

In one game I had the thunderers and the two quarrellers destroyed a 20 men swordmaster unit with bsb banner of the world dragon and a level 2 mage. By the time it was in charge range he had only 3 men left and it was shot to the last men... felt like the scene from the last samurai... 

Burlockson can add that 6" range or even more depending on your roll. Considering that u will be hitting on 6s or 5s on the first turn that 6" wont matter as much at that point level. And considering u are adding a runepriest just for that armour piercing which comes as standard in a rifle unit then It does start to stack against you.

With that 60 pts saving from removing the runepriest you could add a lot of things. or 85 with the dispel scroll you can add an extra gyro. Depending on your meta how bad you want that dispel scroll for me I could live with it at that points level. 

But do play around and playtest some games. I don't feel that thunderers are that inferior by much especially with burlockson around... but if you cant take a name character than a rune priest and 20 quarrellers are good. 

Edited by paxter, 05 February 2015 - 06:14 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dwarf, army, 1250

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users