#1 Boulderfist

Boulderfist

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 04:51 PM

Hi everyone!

First of all, let me start out by saying a huge thanks to all of you, who contribute to the fluff related threads. I really enjoy reading those! 

I was wondering if you perhaps could enlighten me (and perhaps other beardlings) in the great lore, that comes with the Dwarfs. If I fail to mention it later, my questions are about the current fluff, and there may or may not be spoilers (following the ET fluff), but I'll make sure to hide it.

First of all let me start asking about the rulers of the knee'high race.

There are several kings throughout the nation, how many are there?

I was thinking there'd only be the two listed in the book, but I could be mistaken. My guess is that the Dwarfs are ruled somewhat like the Tolkiens dwarfs. Meaning that there are one king (the one who has the arkenstone / book of grudges (throne)). And several other kings who rule in their land, but are supposed to be under some oath to protect and follow the current king.

These Gods everyone speaks of, who are they?

Have they ever presented themselves prior the End Times (Considering that the entire theme of Warhammer is a world at constant war. I figure the mere fact that yet another threat arrives is just another day in WarhammerWorld)

I've had a lot more question, that I thought to be rookie based but they just disapeared.

Hope someone wouldn't mind enlightening. I know I could google everything, but I find having a conversation a lot more useful (and entertaining dal dok)

#2 Granitbeard

Granitbeard

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 05:44 PM

Well the there is a Lord for each Hold. The lord is the King of that hold. Although, some "smaller" mines and such can have Lords as well, but they usually belong to a particular Hold. And The High King (Thorgrim in the current Army Book, but not so much in the latest ET book(I believe)), kind of oversees things for the whole race. The current AB does a good job describing this I thought, if not google can find some good info as well.

Grimnir, Grungni, and Valaya, are our ancestor gods. A long time ago they walked the world. Grimnir was our Warlord, Grungni our Mastersmith, and Valaya was our health and well being protector (basically to all). Grimnir was there when we meet the elves and fought the demons at the north gate and was basically what the slayers are based off of. Grungni created/discovered the runes and how to bind them and mastered all things stone and steel, I can't remember if he died or if he vanished one day. Valaya basically gave us the anti magic protection we had, I believe she died and was buried. Again, google searching each can find some useful info on them as well, also they are covered in the AB as well.

#3 Grungivaldi

Grungivaldi

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 11:25 PM

for how the hierarchy of kings work think of it like governors of states  with the President at the top. if i remember right they are pretty vague about what happens to the ancestor gods, just saying that they vanished back into the mountains after the elves created the vortex to trap chaos. except for grimnir, who gave one axe to his son and walked to the chaos gate and held off the entirety of the forces of chaos alone while the elves created the vortex. the axe he took with him was later found by Gotrek on his journey into the chaos wastes which ended with him and his friends taking the slayer oath (its never said straight out that its Grimnir's axe but back in 4th/5th edition we had stats for it and gotrek, it was identical to the High King's axe except for which creature type it did bonus wounds to). 

#4 Alrik Ogregrudge

Alrik Ogregrudge

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 07:47 PM

for how the hierarchy of kings work think of it like governors of states  with the President at the top. if i remember right they are pretty vague about what happens to the ancestor gods, just saying that they vanished back into the mountains after the elves created the vortex to trap chaos. except for grimnir, who gave one axe to his son and walked to the chaos gate and held off the entirety of the forces of chaos alone while the elves created the vortex. the axe he took with him was later found by Gotrek on his journey into the chaos wastes which ended with him and his friends taking the slayer oath (its never said straight out that its Grimnir's axe but back in 4th/5th edition we had stats for it and gotrek, it was identical to the High King's axe except for which creature type it did bonus wounds to). 

One of the Gotrek and Felix books clearly describes it as Grimnir's axe. I believe it was in the second omnibus.

Also, almost every Dwarf family has their own Damaz Kron (Book of Grudges) But the High Kings posseses all the volumes of the Great Book of Grudges, concerning matters to the Dwarf real and people in general. 

Edited by Alrik Ogregrudge, 24 January 2015 - 07:51 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fluff, story, the great race

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users