80 replies to this topic

#61 Swordthain

Swordthain

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,004 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 01:10 AM

I had the opportunity to be the "ringer" on the first day of the Bluegrass Brawl at The Battleforge in Lexington, Kentucky. I brought my ambush army I've been working on just because I thought it would be something that a lot of the players probably would not have seen before and that would probably give them a run for their money while still being on the softer side for a tournament army. I proved correct in my estimation. The players expressed that it was a hard list to deal with, that it was a lot of fun to play against, and that they felt it had a tough "ringer" behind it. I appreciated those comments, and the fact of the matter is that I only won one of my three games, so I felt I did my job well as the fill-in guy. Anyway, I thought I would like to share my games with you. I don't have pictures for the third game, I'm sad to say, because my phone died, so I hope you'll forgive me. I'll try to do up a set of Battle Chronicler slides, but it will take time. For now, I'll try to get the first two games posted for y'all. :yes

#62 Swordthain

Swordthain

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,004 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 01:17 AM

My first game was against a tournament-style Empire army. I didn't get a copy of the actual list, so I've tried to recreate it for you to the best of my ability.

The Dwarfs
Dwarf Lord (general): Shield, Oathstone, RoMight, RoParrying, Magnificent Armour of Borek Beetlebrow, RoLuck.
Thane: BSB, MRoGrungni, RoStoicism, Strollaz' Rune.
Runesmith: Shield, RoStone, RoSpellbreaking, Silver Horn of Vengeance.
Longbeards: x44, Shields, FC, RoStoicism.
Miners: 39, FC, Steamdrill.
Gyrocopter: Vanguard.
Gyrocopter.
Rangers: x39, FC.

The Empire
~50 Halberdiers
~10 Inner Circle Knights
Great Cannon
Helblaster Volley Gun
3 Demigryph Knights
Arch Lector on War Altar
Warrior Priest (with Knights)
Master Engineer
Captain BSB (I can't remember if he was with the Knights or the Halberdiers)
Wizard Lord
Battle Wizard
Battle Wizard
Steam Tank
Steam Tank

The first three pictures below show our deployment at the start of the game after Vanguard moves. We were basically playing a Battleline scenario, but I was able to make good use of my Rangers' ability to scout and the ensuing Vanguard moves I was allowed. My opponent was very surprised and visibly anxious, especially considering I still had a whole horde of Miners waiting to come onto the board! I rolled for my Ancestral Grudge and discovered that my General would hate my opponent's general. Cool.

IMG 1515

IMG 1516

IMG 1517

Dwarfs Turn One: I won the roll for first turn and moved both of my combat blocks forward. I then moved my Gyrocopter up to stall the enemy Halberdiers. I kept enough space between the Gyrocopter and the Rangers that I could fit my Longbeards through the gap. The picture doesn't show it very well. My hope was that my opponent would charge the Rangers with both the Steam Tank and the Demigryph Knights, my Rangers would hold due to being Steadfast, and then I could counter-charge anything left with my Longbeards. I then moved my other Gyrocopter up to threaten my opponent's war machines.
IMG 1518

The Empire Turn One: The plan didn't go as I had hoped. The charges were made, but the Rangers actually won combat, sending the remaining Demigryph Knights running, bouncing through units and off the board. The Steam Tank held the Rangers up, though, and prevented them from chasing the Demigryphs. Meanwhile, one Gyrocopter fell to grapeshot, and the other fell to the massed attacks from the Halberdiers, buffed by magic with Birona's Timewarp.

IMG 1519

IMG 1520

D2: With the Demigryph Knights gone and the Steam Tabk having taken several wounds already, I thought I would be better off leaving the Rangers to finish off the Steam Tank before coming round to help out in the late-game. Meanwhile, I thought my Shieldbeards could engage a new threat. The Halberdiers posed an intimidating threat, but I did some quick math in my head and determined that my Shieldbeards could deal more than enough damage to bring the Halberdiers below Steadfast and forcing them to require double ones for their break test. Barring the incredible odds of them actually rolling "snake-eyes", my Shieldbeards would be able to blow through and overrun into the Mage-artillery park behind the Halberdiers, eliminating the magic users on my opponent's turn and able to reform to face off against either the Knights that had come around my left flank or the other Steam Tank. And of course, that would leave my Miners (provided they came on in time) to take out the Empire war machines and then help out in the late-game as well. So, the Shieldbeards charged the Halberdiers. The Miners arrived, and i decided to deploy them behind the other Steam Tank, hoping to keep it away from the Shieldbeards and eventually move on after having eliminates it. The Rangers fluffed most of their attacks, disappointingly, and dealt a single wound to the Steam Tank. It was now down to about half-strength, but I was suddenly and soberly alerted to the realization that these were not Bugman's Rangers. I've never felt so emotionally attached to a Warhammer special character, and profound sadness settled in the pit of my stomach knowing that Joseph was unwelcome in the tournament--but then I remembered that this meant Helbron and others were also unwelcome and resolved to remember in the future to not take for granted the fact that my Rangers are not of the Joseph Bugman sort in this list... Anyway, the skinny of it is that I realized I may have left my Rangers to perform a task they were not sufficiently tactically equipped to perform on their own. That could come back to bite me in the end, especially since it meant that the Miners would have to be deployed in order to support the Shieldbeards if my Rangers ended up being stalled the rest of the game, which could also be problematic since I had just pit them against the other Steam Tank! I wondered briefly at the lack of intelligence I was exhibiting and hoped I was not in fact an imbecile (in the non-technical sense of the term, of course). The Shieldbeards performed just slightly better than averages speculated, and my heart once again sank as my opponent intimated that his Halberdiers were Stubborn--they didn't need to be Steadfast! They passed the first roll on a 9 and held the line against my frustrated Dwarfs who had been denied their win.

TE2: The Steam Tank on my left flank took the opportunity to bash my Shieldbeards in the flank. The Knights moved in from behind the Shieldbeards for a charge the following turn in the event that the combat was still going on at that point--likely considering both units were Stubborn. The Wizards moved about to get out of the lanes of pursuit. The magic phase was rough. I had to let a couple of spells through, including a Burning Gaze against my Miners (killed 2) and The Speed of Light on the Halberdiers, but in the end, I failed to stop the worst of the spells (in my estimation, at least), with a pitiful dispel roll that allowed my opponent a third spell successfully cast: Pha's Protection. I was frustrated with having only one Rune of Spellbreaking, since I had to use it the first round to stop another spell I can't remember. (My opponent had a couple of lesser Wizards, one of which was using the Lore of Light, but the other of which was using another Lore I can't seem to remember at the moment.) The Cannon and Helblaster Volley Gun shot at my Miners, killing a very few--4 or 5, I think. In combat, my Rangers again mostly fluffed their attacks, and the Steam Tank did a number of wounds. The Rangers lost combat, but they held the line. The Shieldbeards' performance was a bit lackluster, considering all the magic affecting the combat, and with the addition of the wounds generated from the Steam Tank, they lost combat but passed their Stubborn break test with ease.

D3: My Miners charged the Steam Tank. A dozen attacks at Strength 6 (two of which would be at S7 from the Steamdrill!) would make a huge difference in the battle in the center! They failed the charge! They only needed a 5 on the dice, I think, but they failed nonetheless. That was huge, but it was also the story of my life. My Rangers actually did a couple more wounds to the Steam Tank. I think it was down to a single wound, maybe two, at that point, and though they won combat, the Steam Tank was Unbreakable and couldn't have cared less. The Longbeards slugged it out one more round, this time doing better and once again winning combat without the grinding of the Steam Tank to worry about. Still, the Halberdiers continued to hold the line. I was a little sick over the failed charge of the Miners. I really needed them to make that charge...
IMG 1521

IMG 1522

TE3: Capitalizing on my Miners' failed charge, the Arch Lector charged the horde's flank while the Knights charged the Shieldbeards from the rear. This was shaping up to be a bad day for the Dwarfs! I managed to dispel Pha's Protection, but my opponent was able to still cast The Speed of Light on his Knights, despite a low-dice magic phase. The Rangers failed to deal the last blow to the Steam Tank, while the Shieldbeards were killed down to the man. My Lord was the only one remaining out of the unit, and he fled, getting away with "boxcars" on the dice. The Prospector took one for the team against the Arch Lector, but the Arch Lector still lost combat and fled, my Miners failing to run him down. This exposed their flank to the Steam Tank and the Knights, but I was somehow not bothered by that. For one, I knew they could reform on my turn, since my Lord was blocking them from any charge they'd be otherwise able to make, but also I figured they would be able to hold out as long as they needed to against those threats, being Steadfast and basically fresh troops to the fight.
IMG 1523

IMG 1524

IMG 1525

D4: The Dwarf Lord rallied, facing to the right flank in order to maximize his options of new targets against which to turn his ire. The Miners reformed to maximize ranks. The Rangers finally slew the Steam Tank on my right flank and reformed to face back towards the action.
TE4: The Knights and Steam Tank charged my Miners. The Arch Lector rallied. Magic was a bust, with my two dice proving more efficacious than my opponent's 4, and shooting was horrendous thanks to a double=misfire (HVG) despite the nearby Master Engineer and a timely re-rolled Ward save against the Cannon by my Dwarf Lord, thanks to his RoLuck! Combat saw a few Miners die, but they held firm in the face of the enemy.

IMG 1526

D5: My Lord charged the Helblaster Volley Gun, and my Rangers failed a charge against the recently reformed Arch Lector (who fled the charge, leaving the Rangers to plod forward a mere couple of inches, cowardly human!). The Miners continued to hold out against their enemies. Meanwhile, the Dwarf Lord slaughtered the HVG crew and overran into the Great Cannon.

TE5: We knew at this point that this would be our last round of the game, due to time. (My opponent took too long in his magic phases, so a note to all of you wielding magic at tournaments: Know your Lores, know your spells, and have a plan going into the magic phase. You have to be quick and decisive. Had my opponent and I been able to get through a sixth round of this game, there's a really good chance he would have picked up several more battle points! At a GT, this can mean the difference between Best Overall/Best General and 8th place...) The Arch Lector rallied. The magic phase saw Pha's Protection cast against the Miners, and the rest of the magic dispelled or unsuccessfully cast (one bad roll for his first spell--I have thoughts on that as well if you'd like to hear them). My Lord beat up the Cannon, granting me another 120 VPs, and the combat with my Miners ended with a successful Steadfast break test.
IMG 1527

The game ended there with a 14-6 loss for the Dwarf ambush army, but it was an awesome, fun game!

Edited by Swordthain, 27 June 2015 - 04:02 AM.

#63 Swordthain

Swordthain

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,004 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 02:04 PM

My second game was against a softer tournament-level Skaven force with a lot of the things you'd probably expect--"Rat Darts", lots of Slaves, WLCs, Stormbanner, etc. Once again, I didn't get a copy of my opponent's list, so I'll have to piece it together as well as I can.

The Dwarfs
Dwarf Lord (general): Shield, Oathstone, RoMight, RoParrying, Magnificent Armour of Borek Beetlebrow, RoLuck.
Thane: BSB, MRoGrungni, RoStoicism, Strollaz' Rune.
Runesmith: Shield, RoStone, RoSpellbreaking, Silver Horn of Vengeance.
Longbeards: x44, Shields, FC, RoStoicism.
Miners: 39, FC, Steamdrill.
Gyrocopter: Vanguard.
Gyrocopter.
Rangers: x39, FC.

The Skaven
Grey Seer
Warlord
Warlock Engineer
Warlock Engineer
Gutter Runners
Gutter Runners
~40 Clanrats
~40 Clanrats
~30 Clanrats
~30 Clanrats
~50 Giant Rats
~40 Stormvermin
x2-3 Rat Darts
Warp Lightning Cannon
Warp Lightning Cannon

We deployed as you can see below (or maybe you can't see... I apologize once again for the awful pictures). My opponent had the opportunity to take advantage of being able to deploy in response to my deployment, but I feel he could have done better. Fortunately, I was able to get my Shieldbeards moved up some after having the chance to deploy my Rangers in a decent position. The Gutter Runners were sure to pose issues, but I figured that just meant my Gyrocopters would have to work overtime.
IMG 1528
IMG 1529
IMG 1530
IMG 1531
Dwarfs Turn One: I won the roll for first turn, so I moved my Rangers and Shieldbeards forward as far as possible. My Gyrocopters moved about to get good shots against the Gutter Runners. My turn was short with no magic and no combat. The Gyrocoper on my right flank gunned down a handful of rats, the unit failing its panic test and running right in front of my Shieldbeards. If they blocked them, they also blocked my opponent's units, so I was satisfied enough with that for the present. The Gyrocopter on my left flank dropped its bombs, killing a few more rats, but they passed their panic test and held firm.
IMG 1532
IMG 1533
Skaven Turn One: The Skaven units on the flanks moved to come round to the center. Meanwhile, most of the skaven units just adjusted their positions slightly. My opponent was not in any hurry to get into close combat with my Dwarfs, considering they had ranged superiority. One rat dart moved to redirect my Rangers. I wasn't concerned. Because of the angle at which my opponent had positioned it, I planned to destroy the unit and overrun into the area behind--I might even get lucky and make contact with one of the units of rats! The unit of Gutter Runners that had fled during my turn continued to flee. The Gutter Runners on the other flank shot at my Gyrocopter, dealing a wound. The Warp Lightning Cannons pounded my Shieldbeards hard, killing a bunch. I was now eager for my units to get into combat and for my Miners to arrive. I couldn't take that kind of firepower for long... The magic phase was rough. My opponent rolled well for the Winds of Magic, leaving me starting out at a bad disadvantage. I think it was 11 PD to 6 DD, maybe a full 12 PD--I just don't remember whether my opponent rolled a successful channel or not. I was able to stop most of my opponent's spells, though. I let a Warp Lightning go against my Gyrocopter, which failed to inflict any damage after I made two armour saves. But I had to use my RoSpellbreaking in order to prevent a Dreaded 13th against my Shieldbeards. I took a risk using my dice against another spell--a bad spell (I just don't remember what it was), but I was very glad that, though I had been tempted to stop it with my RoSpellbreaking, I chose to save it. I could only have stopped Dreaded 13th with a double-six-roll. Not the odds I like to bet on...
IMG 1534
IMG 1535
IMG 1536
D2: My Rangers charged the "rat dart" in front of them. The Shieldbeards charged the fleeing Gutter Runners, which fled nearly off the table before the Dwarfs redirected to attempt a long charge against the nearby Clanrats, though they failed the charge. My Miners failed to arrive, despite their re-roll from the Steamdrill. That was unfortunate. I had given my Prospector a Steamdrill just for this sort of situation. I needed them to arrive in order to support my units. The Rangers were about to be committed in close combat, and my Shieldbeards would surely have all they could handle fending off the Stormvermin. I'd have to play this really smart, since my Miners wouldn't be able to charge until turn 4 now. My Gyrocopter moved to intercept my opponent's Stormvermin (it would be able to take a good shot at them, too. My other Gyrocopter moved to take another shot at the Gutter Runners on my left flank that were giving it hassles. It killed a few more rats, while the other Gyrocopter gunned down something like a dozen of the Stormvermin. The Rangers smashed through the rats and overran--not enough to make contact with another unit, but I was still not concerned. If my Rangers weren't quite up to the task of taking down a Steam Tank, I knew they could at least easily handle rats in close combat. The Rangers would turn the Skaven units into mulch as long as I could stop the Skaven magic from interfering too much.
S2: The bus of rats that had come round from my left flank charged the rear of my Rangers, while the Giant rats and Clanrats both charged my Rangers to the front. The rats my Shieldbeards had charged moved up to try to keep the Shieldbeards out of the combat against the Rangers. The Stormvermin charged into my Gyrocopter, while the other unit of Clanrats on my far right flank moved round the building to threaten the Shieldbeards. Magic left me a little shaken again. The Winds of Magic roll left me once more at a serious disadvantage. While I was able to stop Dreaded 13th again (this time using all of my dispel dice to do so), I had to deal with yet another Warp Lightning (which dealt a single unsaved wound against my left-most Gyrocopter) and Death Frenzy, cast on the Stormvermin. Shooting was not as bad this round. One Warp Lightning Cannon missed, overshooting my Shieldbeards. The other only managed a couple of kills. In combat, the Rangers tore the ratmen to shreds, winning combat but failing to kill enough to remove the Skaven units' Steadfast. The Stormvermin Chieftain slaughtered the Gyrocopter before it had a chance to attack back. The unit chose not to overrun and just reformed.
IMG 1537
IMG 1538
IMG 1539
D3: My Shieldbeards charged the Clanrats in front of them, sounding the Silver Horn. I figured as long as I had my Lord in the unit, I wasn't too concerned about the Stormvermin counter-charging them in the flank in the event they weren't able to do enough damage to send the rats packing. My remaining Gyrocopter shot the remaining Gutter Runners, who shrugged off the attack. The Miners arrived! Fortunately... I had to once more use the re-roll allowed by the Steamdrill in order to bring them in... I was not confident about my Rangers' combat, so I brought the Miners in behind the Clanrats. I just needed the Rangers to hold out one more round until my Miners could charge in and relieve them. But they had already taken a good number of casualties, so I didn't know how long they would last. The Shieldbeard unit ripped the ratmen apart, reforming to face the flank of the other units engaged with my beleaguered Rangers. The Rangers performed admirably, for their part, but they failed to win combat this time without their Hatred, succumbing to the mass of attacks. Without being Steadfast, the Rangers broke and ran, chased down and destroyed by the Skaven units.
S3: The Skaven units reformed on my left flank, while the others charged my Shieldbeards on the right. The Clanrats made their charge, but the Stormvermin failed. The magic phase was far less scary this time round. With five dice, my opponent started with Warp Lightning, cast with two dice and resulting in Irresistible Force, which eliminated my remaining Gyrocopter but also sent the caster into the void on the miscast. During the shooting phase, one Warp Lightning Cannon hit the Miners, dealing several wounds, while the other misfired and exploded. In combat, the Shieldbeards stomped the ratmen pretty hard, despite being charged from behind. I was very thankful for the Oathstone on my Lord. The ratmen ran, but my Shieldbeards reformed to face the Stormvermin.
D4: My Miners charged the Clanrats. My Shieldbeards moved to intercept the Stormvermin. As long as my Miners could deal with the Skaven units on my left flank individually, they'd be able to sweep the entire left side of the battlefield on their own. The Shieldbeards would be left to deal with the units on my right flank. The Miners mangled the Clanrats, killing the character that was with them. The Skaven unit was still Steadfast at the end of combat, though, and they passed their break test. That could be bad for the Miners...
IMG 1540
IMG 1541
IMG 1542
IMG 1543
S4: The other Skaven units on my left flank charged the Miners, The Stormvermin actually moved backwards. The fleeing Clanrats on the right failed to rally. The magic phase was blessedly forgiving. I was able to dispel anything worth mentioning. The remaining Warp Lightning Cannon overshot, only killing a couple Shieldbeards. In combat, my Miners shrugged off most of their enemies' attacks and countered with a great round of rolling! I think only three of my Miners' attacks failed to wound! The Skaven units all broke and ran. My Miners pursued one of the units but failed to catch it.
IMG 1544
D5: The Shieldbeards charged the Stormvermin. They didn't need much, but they failed anyway. The Miners charged one fleeing unit, pushing it further towards the edge of the board, and then they charged another unit with the same result. The Miners naturally failed their charge but were still able to move up six inches.
IMG 1545
IMG 1546
S5: The Stormvermin finally decided it was time and charged my Shieldbeards. Non of the fleeing Skaven units rallied, and a couple of them fled off the battlefield as a result. I don't remember much of the magic phase except that it was really scary at one point, I rolled some dice, and everything was alright. In combat, my Lord bashed the Skaven around, shrugging off the flurry of attacks from the Skaven, and my Shieldbeards took out the Grey Seer. My Thane BSB added some kills. In the end, the Shieldbeards won combat handily, and since the Stormvermin were not Steadfast, they easily broke and fled. My Shieldbeards gave chase and caught the unit!
IMG 1547
IMG 1548

With that, my opponent rolled to see if his remaining units would run off the table (one did) and we called the game there. It was a devastating victory for the Dwarfs! I felt a little bad for my opponent who had to face off against this army as a ringer army, but I noticed several mistakes my opponent had made--one glaring mistake that may have made a huge difference: my opponent never used his Storm Banner! That could have really made a difference, nearly incapacitating my Gyrocopters for a turn. I know my opponent had at least one other "rat dart" that he basically didn't ever use, which could also have made a big difference. Anyway, there you have it. I hope you enjoyed the report!

Edited by Swordthain, 06 July 2015 - 11:48 PM.

#64 Swordthain

Swordthain

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,004 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 07:28 PM

I've not been active on here since the demise of Warhammer, but I'm now into The Ninth Age!

Here's the link to my latest battle report!

#65 Strongbeard_Liam

Strongbeard_Liam

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 05:10 AM

Have a keg on my tab Swordthain! I miss your batreps and in depth strategery. I'm not into the 9th age, so post some more 8th hehe

#66 Zidane_blade

Zidane_blade

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 06:30 AM

I'll second that 😁
Both the welcome and the 8th persuation!

#67 Pellegrim

Pellegrim

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 12:15 PM

WCB .. great to see a King return.

I read your list briefly .. no ambusher yet .. full frontal war dwarves.

Nice to read your after math analysis - solid story.

going to any of tournies planned in the US soon. Few big ones coming up I saw.

#68 Swordthain

Swordthain

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,004 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 02:56 AM

Probably not any until the Summer at least. I'm actually still very much learning the rules. There's a lot of stuff to remember and many changes from WHFB 8th edition. But my goal is to eventually get back into the tournament scene.

Thanks for the greetings, everyone, and I appreciate the requests for 8th edition battle reports; however, I just don't see that happening any time soon. I'm not opposed to 8th edition games, but I'm in a region where there's already almost no war game community (apart from 40K), so the probability that I'll play any 8th edition games is incredibly low. If I do happen to play any, I will post the battle reports, though. :-)

#69 Swordthain

Swordthain

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,004 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 07:14 PM

4500 points Dwarven Holds vs. Vampire Covenants

#70 Swordthain

Swordthain

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,004 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 02:31 AM

I haven't finished their bases yet...

IMG 1518
IMG 1512
IMG 1515
IMG 1516
IMG 1517
IMG 1513
IMG 1514

Edited by Swordthain, 21 March 2017 - 02:27 PM.

#71 jouke1988

jouke1988

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 11:03 AM

I haven't finished their bases yet...

Where did you get these? I love them!

#72 Swordthain

Swordthain

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,004 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 03:18 PM

Em4 Miniatures does the dwarf spearmen models. The mold is old, and it shows. Most of the models have a bad mold line, several have some flash, and they all come with the integral 1-inch bases, so it takes A LOT of tender loving care to prepare the miniatures for painting. However, I think these turned out very nicely and were worth all the work! The shields are the large teardrop-shaped kite shields from Sergeant Major Miniatures. They're a little large, and the mono-pose models make it hard to do much in terms of expressive movement with the miniatures; but on the whole, I am very happy with them. The large size really gives them the tower-shield look I was hoping for, as well as plenty of color and room for the device, which is one of my favorite parts of actually painting the miniatures. They are VERY fun to paint, by the way! The cloaks are not necessary, and not giving them cloaks would "lighten" them, maybe make them feel more like clansmen. However, the cloaks cover up the remnants of the injection "plug" on the models' backs, and it also gives them the "heavier" feel I was going for. I already had the green stuff, so between the bases (Renedra paved-effect 20mm square bases; these come in packs of 64, so I had some extras to use for other projects!), the models, the shields, and the shipping costs, I think I spent something like 60 USD for 100 dwarf spearmen, so you can't beat the price!

#73 Swordthain

Swordthain

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,004 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 02:41 PM

I finally finished my unit of Greybeards. I started this unit back in 2014, before the demise of Warhammer Fantasy. That tells you how much I've had going on in real life between then and now... 

IMG 1624
IMG 1625
IMG 1626
IMG 1627
IMG 1628
IMG 1629

#74 Pellegrim

Pellegrim

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 05:49 PM

Good job; liking the green and metal.

What unit next? :-)

#75 Swordthain

Swordthain

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,004 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 04:44 PM

Thanks, Pellegrim! I've been working on a couple different units. Seekers, Deep Watch, King's Guard... Of course, the Speardwarves, though they're going to be an ongoing project for a while, I think. I have a unit of Marksmen I'm thinking about doing next. I'd like to give them guild-crafted handguns and try them out at some point, so I've already trimmed the flash and mold lines off of them and put them on their bases and glued magnets underneath. They're all ready to paint now. :-) In the meantime, I've also been working on my King with shieldbearers. I'm thinking of doing the King on foot with a shieldbearer at his side rather than being carried on top of a shield held aloft by shieldbearers. I still have to figure out what model to use as the shieldbearer (two shieldbearers just won't fit with the King on a 40x20mm base).

Edited by Swordthain, 04 May 2017 - 07:52 PM.

#76 Pellegrim

Pellegrim

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 06:30 PM

THIS WAS YOUR 2999 post General! :)

Ah so new units for DW / KG? Cause I seem to remember your already had those painted earlier.

Spear Dwarfs is a challenge a need to pass too, soon. 27 times ... The GCHG's are ok. I ran 15 with shields, they work well icw an Organ gun, so you can actually hurt a unit good; and then the can take a punch as well, with their Shieldwall now (4+ / 5++). And of course they score.

#77 Pellegrim

Pellegrim

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 06:31 PM

Read that T9A is slowely growing in the US. And the tournaments are filling up better, although is still concentrated. Lot of good content coming from over the Ocean.

#78 Swordthain

Swordthain

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,004 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 07:59 PM

Yeah, I've been active on the T9A site again, since I've had more time to actually work on my hobby. I'm still out here in a war gaming desert in western Kentucky, but I'm hoping I might be able to make it to a tournament maybe this summer or fall. I'm liking the lower power level in this iteration of the rules. It feels a lot better. Strength 4 seems to mean something now, and I find that my dwarves are much more resilient. I love the Shieldwall and Parry rules, and I am extremely happy to see those rules given back to Clan Marksmen! I'm still struggling with the low power of our shooting options, but it looks like it is still viable. I don't know. I guess I need more games under my belt before I can really judge. I have another battle report to do for my last game, but my next game, I'll be using my KoE army, so it may be another couple of weeks before I post another Dwarven Holds battle report.

#79 Pellegrim

Pellegrim

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 01:15 PM

Good to hear man. I've been pleading to the Dwarfs over at the 9th Age to give some love to the Brewery as well, cause I believe the initial hurtin is over, and this is still the home of Dwarfs. Those guildcrafted hadgunners are really nice. they actually hold their own in combat ok, and I use them as a late game point stealer/support unit sometimes.

Looks pretty thin spread on the map here http://www.the-ninth...x.php?user-map/ Do you know DrStrangeFate and Jonnyman?

#80 Swordthain

Swordthain

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,004 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 05:55 PM

Yeah, I contacted them soon after I moved to let them know I was in the area and available for games. We had good initial interactions, but I haven't heard much of anything from them since--though that's partly my fault, too, since I haven't contacted them, either.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dwarfs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users