80 replies to this topic

#1 Swordthain

Swordthain

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,003 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 04:51 AM

In the future, any new games I have will be reported in this thread! No more looking around for a bunch of different topics to get at my battle reports.  :thumbup:

I played a 3000-points game last night at my FLGS against a guy I've seen around the shop from time to time but have never played against before. He was a really nice guy, and I had a blast with him!

THE DWARFS

Master Engineer: Brace of Dwarf Pistols
Runesmith: Shield, RoStone, RoSpellbreaking (x2), RotFurnace
Runesmith: Shield, RoStone, RoSpellbreaking (x2)
Thane: BSB, Great Weapon, MRoGrungni
Dwarf Warriors: x40, Great Weapons, FC
Dwarf Warriors: x39, Great Weapons, FC
Ironbreakers: x33, FC, RoStoicism
Cannon: RoForging, RoBurning
Cannon: RoForging
Organ Gun: RoAccuracy, RoFire, Stalwart Rune
Organ Gun: RoAccuracy, Stalwart Rune
Organ Gun: RoAccuracy, RoFire
Organ Gun: RoAccuracy

So, the idea behind this list, as I mentioned in the Barracks when I posted it for review: 4 Organ Guns. (Still makes me grin.)

My opponent brought a Nurgle Daemons list with Epidemius. He had a few other things in his army, too.

THE DAEMONS

Epidemius

Another character I don't remember (Herald maybe? He gave the unit a 4+ Regeneration save)

Daemon Prince with Nurgle magic

Soulgrinder with stone thrower upgrade

Skull Cannon

2 units of 10 Pink Horrors with Musician

Smallish unit of Bloodletters to screen the Beasts of Nurgle

Unit of 4 Beasts of Nurgle

Unit of 3 bases of Nurglings that ambushed

Unit of 3 Plague Drones

Unit of 20ish Plague Bearers (Epidemius and other character went here)

Unit of 3 Screamers

Another unit of infantry with T4 I don't remember (more Plague bearers, maybe?)

The game was meant to be a "grande battle", something akin to the Battle Royale from the BRB, if I remember right. I remember one game I played like this where we had 3 Dwarf players on one side of the table! 9000 points of Dwarfs against Empire, Lizardmen, and Dark Elves. We trounced the opposition thoroughly. But this time, we had only the two of us show up, so it worked out to be a regular 3000-point game with a slightly larger board (5'x8'). We still measured from the center line so that the deployment zones were 18" in. We rolled up a Blood and Glory scenario, for which I was excited. I won the roll off for table side and picked the side I thought I could use to best advantage. Access to a building allowed me to center my deployment on either side, essentially extending the range of my BSB's bonuses by about 4 or 6 inches, which is significant. My opponent deployed a bit further back than I anticipated with most of his units. I then discovered that he had ambushers... Nurglings, which he deployed on my extreme right flank, threatening my Organ Gun anchoring that side of my battle line. My opponent won the roll off for first turn.

IMG 1349
IMG 1350
IMG 1351
IMG 1352
IMG 1354

Daemons of Chaos Turn One: The Daemons shuffled up slowly. I was surprised. I had anticipated my opponent would want to get into combat as quickly as possible. I am almost certain that he was intimidated by my Organ Guns, though. The magic phase started out fairly scary, with a good number of dice for my opponent. His selection of spells, however, was limited in range, and my battle line was just too far away for him to do much. He did get a vortex off that I opted not to attempt to dispel. My opponent rolled a 10 on the artillery die, though, and it hit two of my Dwarf Warriors and my Cannon on the left flank. Fortunately, I lost only a single Warrior, and the Cannon passed its Toughness test. In the end, I had made a good decision, because after that spell, I was able to dispel the only other spell that could matter and would be able to dispel the vortex on my following turn. At the end of the magic phase, my opponent had 3 dice that he basically couldn't do anything with, which I felt was a direct result of my careful deployment. Had I been tempted to deploy any further forward in order to get my Organ Guns within range of my opponent's units from the start of the game, he would very likely have been able to bring considerably more pain to bear against my Dwarfs with his magic. The shooting phase was interesting. The Skull Cannon undershot my Cannon on the right flank, but the Soulgrinder's stone thrower attack took out one of my Organ Guns before it even had a chance to do anything.

IMG 1355
IMG 1356
IMG 1357
IMG 1358

Dwarfs Turn One: I had no movement worth mentioning, so I dispelled the vortex and moved on to shooting. My Organ Gun on my far right flank took out a full base of the Nurglings, despite a half-misfire. My Organ Guns on the left flank mangled the unit of Bloodletters that had moved precariously into their range of fire, leaving 4 models of the unit still standing. The first Cannon shot at the Soulgrinder, hit it, and failed to wound the thing. My other Cannon shot at the Soulgrinder, hit it, wounded it, my opponent failed his Ward, and I rolled a 1 for the number of wounds... Oh, well. I was glad, once again, that I had deployed a good ways back from the middle of the board.

IMG 1359
IMG 1360

DoC2: The Daemons again moved up hesitantly. Part of me wanted to tell my opponent that he needed to move up much more aggressively, but I didn't want to give him bad advice in the event that that merely allowed my war machines to gun down his army. The Nurglings charged my Organ Gun on the right flank and failed, and the Screamers on that side sidled around after seeing that the Nurglings would not tie it up in combat. The Drones hung back, unwilling to expose themselves to the Dwarf war machines. The depleted Bloodletters moved over to screen the Beasts of Nurgle from my Organ Guns. The magic phase was a little less scary. My opponent had twice the number of power dice that I had of dispel dice, and this time, he was in range for more spells. I used a Spellbreaker on the vortex that my opponent cast with an exceptionally high roll--but not Irresistible Force (I think it was a 26), but I failed to eat the spell. After that, I was able to dispel his other two spells he attempted, and the final spell he could cast that I couldn't stop just wasn't going to make any difference for the following round. The Soulgrinder then tried taking out a Cannon, but the shot scattered off harmlessly. Finally, the Skull Cannon tried to kill my Cannon on the right, but I passed its Ward save provided by the MRoGrungni!

IMG 1361

D2: I didn't feel the need to move anything except for my Warriors on the left flank, which I had trudge backwards 2". After that, I went straight to shooting. My Organ Gun on the far right shot at the Nurglings again, but this time, it inflicted enough wounds to leave the last base of Nurglings hanging on by a single wound. My first Cannon shot at the Soulgrinder again, hit, wounded, but the Soulgrinder passed its Ward save. The other Cannon shot at it but had a repeat performance, hitting, wounding, but watching in agitation as the Soulgrinder once again passed its Ward. My other Organ Guns shot at the smaller of the two units of Plague Bearers, bringing that unit down to a mere 2 models remaining of the unit.

DoC3: The remaining Nurglings charged my Organ Gun, successfully this time. The Daemons finally moved towards my lines with a sense of urgency. The Daemon Prince came out from hiding behind the Soulgrinder in order to get into range for some magical evil. And the Plague Drones finally came out from behind their forest. Magic was again scary, starting with 12 dice (after successful channel attempts on my opponent's part) to my 6 dice. Fortunately, with the help of a failed cast on 3 dice, my Dwarfs were able to make it through the magic phase relatively unscathed! I just don't know how my opponent's magic didn't do serious damage to my Dwarfs... The Skull Cannon shot at my Warriors on the right flank and killed a few, and the Soulgrinder's stone thrower shot scattered again. The Organ Gun lost combat by a single point but managed to hold due to Stubborn.

D3: I moved my Warriors on the left flank back another two inches and had my Warriors on the right flank reform to face the Screamers and Nurglings on that side of the board. I wasn't anticipating my Organ Gun crew holding on much longer. Bonus if they did, but if they didn't, my horde of Warriors would be ready. The Screamers did pose a problem. They might fly over my Warriors, so I had my Ironbreakers exit the building from the back, facing the area where the Screamers could land if they flew over the Warriors. That made the beleaguered Organ Gun the most attractive target for them on my opponent's turn. With the Daemon Prince now in the open, my Cannons could focus on killing it, rather than the Soulgrinder. My rightmost Cannon shot, hit a Plague Bearer and bounced through to hit the Daemon Prince as well, killed the Plague Bearer, and wounded the Daemon Prince--he failed his Ward save, and I rolled a 6! Dead Daemon Prince! That had me feeling better. The other Cannon then shot at the Soulgrinder again, hitting it, but failed to wound. My Organ Gun on the right flank rolled up a good number of shots at the Screamers, and when the dust cleared, one Screamer remained with a single wound! My other shooting took a rank off the big unit of Plague Bearers. In combat, the Nurglings hit with all their attacks but only managed a single wound, which I saved with my Dwarf crewman's light armour! He failed to inflict the final wound on the Nurglings, and the Nurglings passed their instability check (they lost the combat by 1 point, because of the Organ Gun's Stalwart Rune).

IMG 1363
IMG 1362
IMG 1364
IMG 1367
IMG 1366
IMG 1365

DoC4: The remaining Screamer charged into the combat between my Organ Gun and his Nurglings. The rest of the Daemons once again moved towards my lines. The magic phase was once again mostly uneventful, though this time it was due to my 6 DD to his 7 PD... My opponent failed to meet the casting cost of one spell, and I was then able to dispel the other. It didn't help that he now no longer had his Daemon Prince, so he was pretty limited in the spells he could cast at this point. In the shooting phase, my opponent attempted to nail another of my Organ Guns with his Soulgrinder's stone thrower attack, but it scattered, only clipping the war machine with the outside edge of the template, which resulted in a single wound on the Organ Gun. The Skull Cannon misfired and destroyed itself as it attempted to shoot down the flank of the Warriors on my right. That was much appreciated! Finally, the Screamer and Nurglings killed the last Organ Gun crewman and the Screamer overran towards the Warriors, failing to connect by a couple of inches.

IMG 1368
IMG 1369
IMG 1370

D4: The Tally was up high enough already that all the Daemons of Nurgle now had +1 Strength! The prospect of +1 Toughness being not far behind was very intimidating. My Warriors charged the lone Screamer, and my Master Engineer charged the remaining Nurglings. My Ironbreakers, satisfied that the fight on the Dwarf right flank was going according to plan, executed a swift reform and walked back into the building. My guns then opened fire on the Daemon lines. Since this was a Blood and Glory scenario, all I had to do to win was to take down my opponent's fortitude. Now that the Daemon general was dead (the Daemon Prince), I committed one Organ Gun each to the unit of Bloodletters on my far left flank and the depleted unit of Plague Bearers in the center-right. Both units went down in a hail of lead, winning me the game. As anticlimactic as that was, my opponent asked if we could play the game out. I was more than happy to oblige since we were getting on so well and really having a lot of fun. So, then my Cannons shot at the Soulgrinder, AGAIN. This time, though, the first dealt 2 wounds, and the second was able to deal 5, finishing off that malignant monstrosity! My last Organ Gun then shot at the big unit of Plague Bearers, killing 4 or 5. I chose to conduct the combat between my Warriors and the Screamer first in hopes that the Warriors would be able to overrun and still participate in the combat against the Nurgling, just in the event that my Master Engineer proved not up to the task on his own. Good thing, too, because my Warriors sliced through the Screamer, overran, and finished off the Nurglings when my Master Engineer did in fact fluff his attacks. The Master Engineer overran, allowing my Warriors to reform so that they could be within range of my BSB in the event that the potential fight against the encroaching Plague Drones went badly for them.

IMG 1371
IMG 1372
IMG 1373

DoC5: The Daemons had no charges and proceeded to move up in order to make a couple last-turn charges that might net them some kills. I lost a few Dwarfs from magic, but there was just so little my opponent could now do. On the other hand, the Tally was getting close to awarding +1 Toughness to the Nurgle units on the board. Shooting involved the Plague Drones rolling badly and missing all their shots.

IMG 1374
IMG 1375
IMG 1376

D5: My lone Master Engineer was out in the middle of nowhere. I figured he had a shot at doing a couple of wounds to the Plague Drones, so I had him declare a charge against the flying bugs. Next, my Ironbreakers exited the building. I left my BSB inside, though, to continue to extend his range a little. Had I brought him out along with the Ironbreakers, my unit of Warriors on the right flank would not have been within his range any longer. The Warriors on my left flank once more slogged backwards another 2 inches to make the Daemons' potential turn-6 charges against them as unlikely as I possibly could. I think both the Beasts of Nurgle and the Plague Bearers needed 9s on the dice to reach them, but if they charged successfully, my Warriors should be able to hold, allowing my Ironbreakers to then counter charge on my last turn of the game. My shooting did minor damage to the Plague Bearers and nothing to the Beasts of Nurgle, and my Master Engineer performed sadly against the Plague Drones without so much as scratching the brutes. At least my opponent performed equally poorly against him, though I did get a couple of luck 6s for armour saves. In the end, my Master Engineer held on without taking a wound, resulting in him losing the combat, because the Drones had a musician. But he passed his break test!

DoC6: The Beasts of Nurgle declared a charge against my Ironbreakers. That surprised me a bit, but it was a smart thing to do, I felt. They needed a lower roll than they would have needed against the Warriors, but only just. They rolled a 17! I was not really concerned, though, provided the Plague Bearers failed their charge. I crossed my fingers. The Plague Bearers charged my Warriors, then, but failed. I breathed a sigh of relief. The Pink Horrors moved up just a tad, then, in order to sling spells all the more effectively. Magic was not too bad, and my Dwarfs weathered the magic missiles well enough. The Master Engineer then failed to hurt the Drones once more, only to die horribly to their attacks which were not fluffed this time. My Ironbreakers performed admirably against the Beasts of Nurgle! The Beasts dealt a wound or two. The Dwarfs responded with a couple of wounds, and the Beasts passed their instability test.

IMG 1377
IMG 1378
IMG 1379
IMG 1380
IMG 1381

D6: I considered charging my Warriors into the Plague Bearers but then thought better of it, since the Tally was only 4 away from giving the Nurgle Daemons +1 Toughness across the board. So, instead, I attempted to shoot them down. I was able to bring the Plague Bearers down enough to disallow "Look Out, Sir!" rolls for the characters in the unit, but when all was said and done, Papa Nurgle was still standing. I did, however, take out some character that was in the unit next to Papa Nurgle. I'm still not sure what he did or who he was (maybe something to do with an increased Regeneration save?), but it was a good chunk of points nonetheless. The Ironbreakers again beat the Beasts of Nurgle in combat, but the beasts passed their Instibility test again. The game ended there, a huge victory for the Dwarfs!

IMG 1382
IMG 1383

Edited by Swordthain, 03 February 2015 - 07:00 PM.

#2 Swordthain

Swordthain

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,003 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 02:16 PM

The Dwarfs

Runesmith (general): Shield, RoIron, RoStone, RoSpellbreaking x2, RotFurnace.

Runesmith: Shield, RoStone, RoSpellbreaking x2.

Thane: BSB, MRoGrungni, RoSlowness x2.

Master Engineer: Great Weapon, RoStone.

Dwarf Warriors: x39, Great Weapons, FC.

Thunderers: x20, Shields, FC, Brace of Pistols.

Ironbreakers: x29, FC, RoStoicism.

Gyrocopter.

Gyrocopter.

Cannon: RoForging, RoBurning.

Cannon: RoForging.

Organ Gun: RoAccuracy.

Flame Cannon: RoForging, Stalwart Rune.

The Empire

-Arch Lector on War Altar (of Ulric) with Talisman of Preservation, Van Horstman's Speculum, Dragonhelm, War Altar has Horn of Sigismund
-Wizard Lord Level 4 with Talisman of Endurance and Dispel Scroll, rocking Lore of Light
-Captain BSB with Opal Amulet, Full Plate, Enchanted Shield, Handgun, and Ironcurse Icon
-Warrior Priest, Heavy Armor, Shield, Barded Warhorse, Dragonbane Gem

-39 Greatswords (Teutogen Guard) with Full Command
-49 Halberdiers with Full Command, detachment of 10 Archers
-9 Knights of the Inner Circle with Standard of Discipline (insert Warrior Priest)
-3 Demigryph Knights (Winter Wolf Knights) and Lances
-2 Great Cannons
-Celestial Hurricanum

(I'll apologize now for the pictures. I had meant to bring my camera, but I forgot it, so I had to take the pictures with my phone.)

This first game was a friendly game, but it was meant to practice our respective potential tournament armies. These use Swedish comp. My army scores a 10.7, I believe, and my opponent's army was close to that, though I just don't remember what it's score was. We rolled up a Dawn Attack scenario and my opponent was able to take the first turn.

Empire Turn One: My opponent started by pushing his army forward towards my lines. His Hurricanum moved as fast as possible to get into a good support position, but having had to deploy it on my far right flank, I hoped my opponent would have a hard time getting it there in time.

IMG 1154
IMG 1155

Magic was uneventful. Several of my opponent's spells were out of range, and I was able to dispel everything else my opponent attempted to cast, fortunately. The first Great Cannon targeted my rightmost Gyrocopter, and though it hit, it rolled a 1 to wound! The second Great Cannon targeted my other Gyrocopter, and though it hit and wounded (and I failed my 5+ Ward Save from the nearby MRoGrungni), it rolled a 1 for the number of wounds. I breathed a sigh of relief, because I could have started my first turn down two Gyrocopters!

IMG 1158
IMG 1156
IMG 1157

Dwarfs Turn One: I moved up my Gyrocopters to get into good positions for future shenanigans. I hoped to be able to block the Hurricanum and maybe get a charge in against the back Great Cannon, as well as perhaps fame the Halberdiers some to get their numbers down to a manageable level. I then moved my Warriors up behind the wall in front of them. I knew it was wishful thinking to imagine my opponent would charge them head-on with his Knights, so they wouldn't be able to stay there. I moved my Ironbreakers to head off the Halberdiers, trusting that they could grind them down even if I wasn't able to support the Ironbreakers with steam gun fire prior to impact. Finally, the Thunderers, finding themselves out of range of anything at which to shoot, moved forward, wheeling to come round onto the Halberdiers' flank.

IMG 1161
IMG 1160
IMG 1159
My Flame Cannon took a few wounds off the Demigryph Knights, but I had to deliberate on my target priority for the Cannons and Organ Gun. The War Altar presented too tempting of a target. The opportunity to destroy the enemy general and a significant portion of the enemy's magic capabilities made it a sound decision tactically, as well. I think I started with a shot that destroyed the the Great Cannon on my far right flank. I then shot the other Cannon at the War Altar, took it down a few wounds, and then finished it off with my Organ Gun. It's been too long, so I don't remember. I may have just ignored the Great Cannon and poured everything into the War Altar and Arch Lector.
IMG 1162
IMG 1163

E2: The Hurricanum charged my Gyrocopter, which fled, causing it to fail its charge. (My other Gyrocopter was outside its charge arc, so it couldn't redirect.) Something else charged my Gyrocopter (the Halberdiers, I think), pushing it further back to land right in front of my Organ Gun and failing the charge. Everything else moved forward again. The Arch Lector wisely jumped in with the Greatswords.
IMG 1164
IMG 1165

In the magic phase, my opponent cast a damage spell (might have been Banishment, can't remember) at my Gyrocopter, rolling Irresistible Force on just two or three dice. The spell inflicted several hits, but it failed to get through the Gyrocopter's T5 and 4+ AS. The miscast killed a Halberdier or two and about half the archers in his Wizard Lord's bunker unit (the picture below shows the template after casualties were removed). In the shooting phase, the Cannon failed to hit the same Gyrocopter, and the archers attempted a volley of unsuccessful shots at it as well.

IMG 1166
IMG 1167

D2: My Ironbreakers charged the Halberdiers but failed the charge, leaving the rest of my units to shuffle about just a bit. It was no big loss, and I wasn't in a rush to get my units into combat anyway. The fleeing Gyrocopter failed its Ld9 re-rollable rally test, fleeing beyond my Organ Gun and the rest of the artillery park. That was actually alright by me, too, since it gave my Organ Gun a clear line of sight to my opponent's units. The other Gyrocopter moved to steam some more archers in hopes that his unit would panic and flee while needing double 1s to rally. My Flame Cannon took out about 8 of the Greatswords, while the Organ Gun stripped off a few more due to a misfire on one of the artillery dice. Still, the two machines stripped off a rank from the unit. Both Cannons shot at the Knights that were attempting to come round my left flank, taking two down apiece. The Gyrocopter killed a few Archers, but they passed their panic check. The Wizard Lord did fail his "Look out, Sir!" roll and took a wound, though, which was funny.
IMG 1168
IMG 1169
IMG 1170
IMG 1171
IMG 1172

E3: The Demigryph Knights took the opportunity to charge my Ironbreakers in the flank. I wasn't worried. They weren't going anywhere, and my Warriors were right there, ready to counter-charge on my turn--that is, if the Ironbreakers even needed any help, which I doubted. The Knights charged my Flame Cannon. The Hurricanum charged my Gyrocopter, which fled, landing between the Halberdiers and the Greatswords, neither of which could see it. Both the Greatswords and the Halberdiers then reformed and moved up. In the magic phase, my opponent was able to push Pha's Protection through my magic defense onto the Demigryphs, though I was able to destroy Dwellers. I call that a win for the Dwarfs. In combat, the Knights were only able to kill two of the Flame Cannon's crew. The remaining crewman failed his Stubborn 9 break test, but the Knights opted to reform to face my other war machines rather than overrun into my Dwarf Warriors. The Demigryphs killed 3 Ironbreakers, which I felt was low considering the flank charge, taking a few wounds in return. They broke and ran, but my Ironbreakers stayed put in order to charge the Halberdiers on my turn.
IMG 1173
IMG 1174
IMG 1175
IMG 1176
IMG 1177

D3: The Ironbreakers charged the Halberdiers. The Warriors failed a charge against the Greatswordsmen. My fleeing Gyrocopter then rallied, fortunately, as did my other fleeing Gyrocopter. *grin* The Cannons both shot at the lone fleeing Demigryph Knight, but one undershot while the other failed to wound. The Organ Gun killed about four Knights, I think, leaving just one Knight and the Warrior Priest in the unit. In combat, the Ironbreakers did a good number of wounds against the Halberdiers, removing enough ranks to prevent them from being Steadfast, but ultimately failing to run them down when they broke and ran.

IMG 1179
IMG 1180
IMG 1178
IMG 1181

E4: The Knights charged my Master Engineer who was blocking a charge against the Organ Gun. I opted to have him flee, but the Knights passed their test to redirect and charged the Organ Gun anyway--and made the charge despite needing a relatively high roll (9 or 10, I think). The Greatswordsmen charged my Warriors. The Archers and Wizard Lord charged my Gyrocopter. The Halberdiers rallied, as did the lone Demigryph Knight, and the Hurricanum moved in to support. My opponent's magic proved weak, and I was able to get through without much strain. The Great Cannon then shot my Ironbreakers, killing a few. The Knights killed my Organ Gun and overran into my first Cannon. The Greatwords lost to my Warriors, but passed their Stubborn break check. The Gyrocopter dealt a single wound to the Wizard Lord, suffering no wounds to itself, which resulted in a tied combat.
IMG 1182
IMG 1183
IMG 1184
IMG 1185
IMG 1186

D4: My Master Engineer continued to flee, evidently having suffered a severe shock from the Knights. The Ironbreakers charged the Halberdiers again. My Gyrocopter charged the Hurricanum, making a successful charge despite the relatively long distance. The Thunderers then reformed to ensure that the remaining Empire Knights and Warrior Priest would be within their field of fire on my next turn. My Cannon dealt a single wound to the remaining Demigryph Knight. I was beginning to wonder if he was possessed of some sort of supernatural invulnerability... In combat, the Ironbreakers beat the Halberdiers soundly, but they passed their break test and held. The Gyrocopter combats were both uneventful, and the Knights got stuck on my Cannon, unable to kill off all three crew. The combat between the Warriors and the Greatswords continued to grind on, and while the Warriors were winning the fight, I was not rolling well for their attacks. The Ironbreakers trounced the Halberdiers thoroughly and reformed, letting the Halberdiers run off the table without pursuit.

IMG 1188
IMG 1189
IMG 1190
IMG 1191
IMG 1192
IMG 1193

E5: The surviving Demigryph Knight charged my Warriors in the rear. Everything else was basically committed to close combat. Despite my best efforts, my opponent did get Pha's protection off to aid his Greatswordsmen. The remaining Great Cannon destroed itself with a misfire, In combat, the Demigryph and Greatswordsmen beat my Warriors in combat. I failed their break test, and they were run down! I had not expected that to happen. The Knights finished off the Cannon crew. The Gyrocopter finally put the last wound on the Wizard Lord, but the Archers held their ground. My other Gyrocopter beat the Hurricanum in close combat and chased it down.

IMG_1194.JPG
IMG_1197.JPG

(Below are our respective graveyard piles.)

IMG_1195.JPG
IMG_1196.JPG

D5: My Ironbreakers failed a charge against the Archers in combat with my Gyrocopter, while my Thunderers opted to charge into combat with the Warrior Priest and one remaining Knight. My Cannon finally destroyed the remaining Demigryph Knight. In combat, my Gyrocopter finally died to the Archers, who reformed to face off against my Ironbreakers. The Thunderers won combat and chased down the Warrior Priest who was the sole survivor of that unit.

E6: The Archers moved away from the Ironbreakers, but they failed their march test and could only move so far. The Greatswordsmen reformed to face my Thunderers.

D6: The Ironbreakers charged the Archers who killed nothing with their Stand-and-Shoot charge reaction. My Master Engineer failed to rally and continued to run again. The Thunderers then shot up enough of the Greatswordsmen to prevent my opponent's general from getting a "Look out, Sir!" roll. My Cannon lined up a shot to take out the general, only to fail to wound! After combat, the Empire only had five models on the board. It was a crushing victory for the Dwarfs!

IMG_1198.JPG
IMG_1200.JPG
IMG_1201.JPG
IMG_1202.JPG
IMG_1203.JPG
IMG_1204.JPG

Edited by Swordthain, 19 January 2015 - 03:06 PM.

#3 Bimli

Bimli

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 02:42 PM

just a question cause im interested with your strollaz/ambush list have you played against a elf avoidence list and if so how did you fare and what tactic would you use?

Also have you played against a high elf heavy white lion and PG list?

I'm trying to make a viable ambush/strollaz list also but Im not sure how it will beat the above lists.

Thanks in advance

#4 cptfluffy

cptfluffy

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 05:35 AM

Looks like a 3k Ambush list. Excited to see the reports. I just played a 2.5k Ambush a few days ago against Empire and crushed, sadly I didn't take any notes.

#5 Swordthain

Swordthain

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,003 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 03:55 PM

Actually, my first game I'll post with the ambush army was against a Wood Elf army, Bimli, so you'll get to see how it worked out for me. Hindsight being what it is, I would have done a lot of things differently.

#6 Swordthain

Swordthain

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,003 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 03:54 PM

The Dwarfs

Runesmith (general): Shield, RoStone, RoSpellbreaking, Silver Horn of Vengeance.

Runesmith: Shield, RoStone, RoSpellbreaking, RotFurnace, Fiery Ring of Thori.

Thane: BSB, Great Weapon, MRoGrungni, Strollaz' Rune.

Longbeards: x53, Shields, FC, RoStoicism.

Miners: x40, FC, Steamdrill.

Miners: x39, FC, Steamdrill.

Gyrocopter: Vanguard.

Gyrocopter.

Rangers: x48, FC.

The Wood Elves

Wizard on Eagle
Wizard on Eagle
x10 Gladeguard with poison shots
x5 Glade Riders with true shot
x10 Way Watchers
x5 Wild Riders
x5 Wild Riders
Treeman Ancient
Treeman
Treeman
Lord on Dragon
Great Eagle
IMG 1239

I don't remember the battle. It's been too long. So I'll just post these pictures I took and hope you'll get the idea of how this game went. I lost. I don't remember by how much, but it was definitely a solid win for my opponent.

IMG 1205
IMG 1206
IMG 1207
IMG 1208
IMG 1209
IMG 1210
IMG 1211
IMG 1212
IMG 1213
IMG 1214
IMG 1215
IMG 1216
IMG 1217
IMG 1218
IMG 1219
IMG 1220
IMG 1221
IMG 1222
IMG 1223
IMG 1224
IMG 1225
IMG 1227
IMG 1228
IMG 1229
IMG 1230
IMG 1231
IMG 1232
IMG 1233
IMG 1234
IMG 1235
IMG 1236
IMG 1237
IMG 1238

The Warriors of Chaos

Dragon Ogre Shaggoth

Kholek Suneater

Chaos Sorcerer Lord

Exalted BSB

x5 Marauder Horsemen

x5 Marauder Horsemen

x20 Chaos Warriors

x20 Chaos Warriors

x4 Dragon Ogres

x3 Dragon Ogres

Again, I apologize, because it's just been too long since I played this game for me to remember it. I do remember it was another loss. My Dwarfs got beat up pretty badly. I had Kholek down to a single wound, I think, but it just didn't matter in the end. Here are the pictures, and you should be able to make out how the game went overall.

IMG 1240
IMG 1241
IMG 1242
IMG 1243
IMG 1244
IMG 1245
IMG 1246
IMG 1248
IMG 1249
IMG 1250
IMG 1251
IMG 1252
IMG 1253
IMG 1254
IMG 1255
IMG 1256
IMG 1257
IMG 1258
IMG 1259
IMG 1260
IMG 1261

Edited by Swordthain, 19 January 2015 - 05:16 PM.

#7 MeuhMeuh

MeuhMeuh

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 06:34 AM

It's really nice to see this topic, I didn't catch it when you originally posted it (was on vacation).

It's a shame you don't remember the games, I really like your reports :) 

Keep it going ! 

#8 Swordthain

Swordthain

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,003 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 07:31 PM

I certainly will. I just got busy with life, and before I knew it, it had been a month since I played those games! I'm going to try hard to get the next battle reports up in the next few days.

#9 Swordthain

Swordthain

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,003 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 05:31 PM

3-game Tournament using End Times rules (17 JAN 2015)

THE DWARFS

Joseph Bugman (General)

Ungrim, Incarnate of Fire

Thane: Battle Standard Bearer, Great Weapon, MRoGrungni, Strollaz' Rune, Ancestor Rune

Runesmith: Shield, Silver Horn of Vengeance, RoStone, RoSpellbreaking

Runesmith: Shield, Fiery Ring of Thori, RoStone, MRoPassage, RoSpellbreaking

Longbeards: x46, Shields, full command, RoStoicism

Gyrocopter: Vanguard

Bugman's Rangers: x34, full command

GAME ONE

My first game paired me up against a guy I hadn't played or even seen at the shop before. He was a good opponent, though, and that made this game a little more bearable. He was using an Empire army, including a couple of Battle Wizards--I think the lv. 3 or 4 was using Life, while his lv. 1 or 2 was using Light. He also had Karl Franz Ascendant, 3 Cannons, and a Steamtank. I knew this would be a difficult game. I had to try to get into my opponent's units and try to pick up their points while surviving Karl Franz' onsaught--which just wound't happen, since he was on a flying mount... At the time, I was completely unfamiliar with Karl Franz Ascendant's rules, so I really didn't know what to expect except that my opponent told me he had 10 attacks that auto-wounded and allowed no armour saves... Great... Oh, and my general hated his general.

We deployed as you can see below. I was able to Vanguard my Shieldbeards and Gyrocopter up without any problems, since my opponent had no Scouts or Vanguard moves of his own. I thought my Rangers would be a good counter to the Knights on my left flank, and my hope was that I would be able to damage Karl Franz with Ungrim before he died--even if only with his deathblow, which would be better than nothing--and then bring my Rangers in to finish him off after taking out the Handgunners and Cannons on my left flank. I felt I would be able to survive the Steamtank. But the whole plan depended on my Shieldbeards surviving against Karl Franz. To make matters worse, when I deployed my units, my Shieldbeards ended up in a Venom Thicket, and I took several casualties (and a wound on one of my Runesmiths, too) from dangerous terrain tests, forgetting that I had the MRoPassage which made my unit immune to dangerous terrain tests!

IMG 1294
IMG 1295
My opponent won the roll-off for the first turn.
Empire Turn One: Karl Franz charged my Gyrocopter. My opponent was afraid of getting him stuck in with my Shieldbeards--should not have been--so, when he failed his charge due to my Gyrocopter's flee reaction, my opponent just took the failed charge. I was glad for that. The Halberdiers moved up, as did the Knights. The Steamtank came around on my right flank to line up a flank shot on my Shieldbeard unit and force some LoS! rolls. Then came the magic phase. This was my first game actually using the End Times magic system. I had run many simulations on my own, so I was prepared, but this was my first true-to-life encounter. I was careful to take good notes. We started with 19 power dice to 12 dispel dice. My opponent started by attempting to cast Throne of Vines. He rolled a single die for the number of dice he could use to attempt to cast it and failed the attempt. Then, Awakening of the Wood, rolled 1 die for, attempted on 1 die, and failed that one as well. So far, so good. But he had access to a lot more spells, and he still had a lot more dice than I did. He next attempted Dwellers on 5 dice, cast it successfully with a total of 19 against my Shieldbeards. That was too rich for my blood. Doing the math, I had to roll at least 7 dice for a decent chance at stopping it, and he could always cast it again. So, I used a RoSpellbreaking. So, he cast it again, this time on 4 dice, but failed the cast. Net of Amyntok was next, allowed 1 die to cast, and failed the attempt. Then, Shem's burning gaze, which also allowed 1 die to attempt the cast and failed. Then, Birona's Timewarp with 2 dice, cast on a 14, which I dispelled with 5 dice. Then Birona's Timewarp again, with 3 dice, cast on a 14, which I dispelled with 5 dice. Then, Birona's Timewarp yet again with 3 dice, cast on a 13, which I failed to dispel with my remaining 2 dice. That would be one crazy Karl Franz, but my opponent could have been casting something much worse. Turns out, he was relatively new player, so I'll forgive him for being easier on me than he might otherwise have been. In the shooting phase, my opponent killed a few Shieldbeards (I was able to pass all my characters' LoS! rolls).
IMG 1296
IMG 1297
IMG 1298
Dwarfs Turn One: My opponent's magic phase had been far less painful than I anticipated as he was hampered by some really bad luck with his dice. I was encouraged. The first couple of turns would be crucial, and I still had a RoSpellbreaking left. I used my Silver Horn of Vengeance and charged at the enemy! My Shieldbeards charged Karl Franz on the right, and my Rangers charged the Knights on the left. Surprisingly, my luck was good and both units completed their respective charges successfully! My Gyrocopter rallied, but I was fairly certain that with my units locked in combat, my Gyrocopter would go down easily to the Empire Great Cannons. With no magic and no shooting, my turn was oddly brief considering how long my opponent's turn had been. My Rangers killed all but the Standard Bearer in the unit of Knights, who died upon failing his break test, and Bugman and company overran straight forward into the Handgunners. Meanwhile, Karl Franz killed a few Shieldbeards, with a couple of attacks directed at my "Blingsmith" (who died horribly). All in all, it could have been much worse. Ungrim opened up his attacks on Karl Franz, dealing three unsaved wounds that brought him down to 4 remaining wounds! The Shieldbeards managed to push another wound through on Karl Franz. Then, realizing what a threat Ungrim posed, he directed his Thunderstomp against him. Ungrim failed enough Ward Saves to go down, his deathblow attack dealing one more wound to the Ascendant Emperor, who now still had 2 wounds remaining... I had done everything I could, and Karl Franze was still alive. It was going to be virtually impossible to kill him now. My opponent only had to push Life spells through in order to keep him healed. Karl Franz actually lot combat, but my opponent said he was Unbreakable. That was disappointing. (I later learned that Karl Franz Ascendant is NOT Unbreakable. He is STUBBORN. Good to know for the future. That might have changed things!)
IMG 1300
IMG 1301
IMG 1302
E2: My opponent turned his Steamtank towards my Shieldbeards. I was sure that he would crash into my flank and start murdering my Longbeards, but fortunately, he misfired and chugged forward a mere few inches. Then came the magic phase. The Winds of magic were slightly less forgiving this round. My opponent ended up with 16 PD to my 10 DD. Throne of Vines: 3 dice to cast, 3 dice used, succeeded with a 10, but I dispelled it with 3 dice. Throne of Vines again: 5 dice to cast, 3 dice used, succeeded with an 11, but I dispelled again with 3 dice. Throne of Vines again: 4 dice to cast, 3 dice used, succeeded with an 11, and I let it go, looking at my remaining 4 DD to his remaining 7 PD. Karl Franz regained a wound, though, which hurt. Flesh to Stone on Karl Franz: 1 die to cast, 1 die used, spell failed. Earthblood on the Halberdiers: 4 dice to cast, 2 dice used, spell failed. Storm of Renewal: 6 dice to cast, 5 dice used, spell failed. I sighed with relief. Shooting saw my Gyrocopter go down predictably to the Great Cannons, and we moved on to close combat. My Old Guard issued a challenge and died horribly, offering up maximum overkill. I took my Stubborn break test on Leadership 10 and passed. Meanwhile, the Rangers made mincemeat of the Handgunners and reformed to face the rest of the battle.
IMG 1303
IMG 1304
IMG 1305
D2: My Rangers failed a charge against the nearest Cannon. Very, very unfortunate. It was a bit of a long charge, though, and fortunately, I did roll a 5 on one of my charge dice. Karl Franz killed several Shieldbeards, and in return, the Shieldbeards were only able to deal 1 unsaved wound against him. They passed their Stubborn break test again.
E3: The Steamtank made it into the flank of the Shieldbeards finally. That was going to hurt. But probably not as much as the magic phase. We started out with 13 PD to 8 DD. Flesh to Stone on Karl Franz: 5 dice to cast, 3 dice used, successful with a 16, so I used my remaining RoSpellbreaking to stop it. Flesh to Stone: 4 dice to cast, 3 dice used, successful with a 15, but I managed to dispel the spell with 5 dice. Flesh to Stone again: 2 dice to cast, 2 dice used, successful with an 8, and I wasn't able to dispel it. This was especially bad, because I had forgotten to dispel Throne of Vines on my turn! So, now, Karl Franz was Toughness 9... Finally, my opponent used the rest of his dice on Shield of Thorns, but failed to cast the spell. Karl was back up to 4 wounds now... Meanwhile, the Empire war machines managed to do only a few wounds against the Rangers. The Cannon closest to them misfired and self-destructed, which meant that the Rangers had another nearly impossible charge to attempt on my turn. Combat saw nearly another rank stripped off my unit from the Steamtank, while Karl Franz was kept in check by sacrificing my Runesmith in a challenge. But the Shieldbeards held out on their successful Stubborn break test. There was still some hope if I was able to get my Rangers into combat with Karl Franz in time--but that hope was now fast disappearing...
IMG 1306
IMG 1307
D3: The Rangers failed their charge against the Helblaster Volley Gun. This time, I remembered to dispel Throne of Vines. The Shieldbeards ended combat with their Standard Bearer remaining, who passed his Stubborn break test! The heroic last stand reminded me of Custer's ill-fated last stand... 
IMG 1307
IMG 1308
IMG 1309
E4: We were already running out of time, and none of the other games had gotten beyond round 3, so the tournament organizer extended the time. I was not concerned, though, because things were going to go quickly from here on. The Steamtank moved around my remaining Longbeards in order to get into position for potentially running amok into my Rnagers. The Handgunners and Halberdiers shuffled to form some semblance of a battle line. I should mention that the forest my Shieldbeards were fighting Karl Franz in was a Wildwood. At this point, the forest had done nothing to Karl Franz but had killed a few Shieldbeards. It now decided to kill my last one, leaving Karl Franz in place. At least he would not be able to charge my Rangers on his next turn, now. The magic phase was another 16-10. Throne of Vines: 1 dice to cast, 1 dice used, spell failed. Flesh to Stone: 2 dice to cast, 2 dice used, successful with a 12, but I dispelled with 5 dice. Flesh to Stone again: 1 dice to cast, 1 used, spell failed. Shield of Throns: 6 dice to cast, 3 dice used, but an unlucky rolled saw the spell failed. Earthblood: 4 dice to cast, 3 dice used, successful with an 8, but I dispelled with 4 dice. Earthblood again: 2 dice to cast, 2 dice used, spell failed. Regrowth: 3 dice to cast, 3 dice used, could not dispel, and Karl Franz gained a few wounds back. My opponent then cast another spell that failed, but I just can't remember what it was. My opponent shot at Bugman's Rangers with his remaining war machines, killing several.
IMG 1310
From there, Karl Franz and the Steamtank did end up in combat with my Rangers. We played it out to turn 6, and while my Rangers held out, they only just barely survived. The game ended in a complete slaughter of the Dwarfs.

GAME TWO

My second game was against a guy I have played a lot and really enjoy sharing the hobby with. But his army was nuts. He had a single unit of Gor, I think, with a couple Beastmen casters, a herdstone, 4 units of Pink Horrors, A Soulgrinder, a Lord of Change, 3 units of Screamers, 2 Burning Chariots of Tzeentch, and the Blue Scribes. Basically, he had taken his Tzeentch army and added a herdstone in order to abuse the fact that there is no maximum limit to the number of power dice a player can generate when using End Times magic by abusing the Legions of Chaos list to simply add the tax to do so. My characters decided they hated my opponent's characters, and once again I lost the roll-off for first turn.
IMG 1312
IMG 1313

Chaos Legions Turn One: My opponent moved his chariots over around the left flank of my Rangers, along with a unit of Screamers. Basically everything else just shuffled around so that I would have a hard time getting my units into close combat. Then came the magic phase... 25 PD to my 9 DD! My opponent channeled 2 dice, rolled up 15 for the winds of magic, and got 8 dice just from having wizards around the herdstone. Let that sink in for a minute. My opponent rolled a very average roll for the Winds of Magic. 25 PD to 9 DD. The magic phase began with the Blue Scribes casting Burning Head for free. I let it go. Final Transmutation on my Longbeards: 4 dice to cast, 4 dice used, failed due to a bad roll. Plague of Rust: 1 die to cast, 1 die used, spell failed. Curse of Anrahir: 6 dice to cast, 4 dice used, successful with a 15, but I was able to dispel the spell using 5 dice. Curse of Anrahir: 3 dice to cast, 3 dice used, and the spell was successfully cast with Irresistible Force, killing 5 Beastmen and causing the unit to panic and flee; the caster took a wound, and 3 dice were lost from the power pool. Tzeentch Firestorm: 2 dice to cast, spell failed. Infernal Gateway: 4 dice to cast, 4 dice used, successful with a 16, and I let it go. It dealt 5 hits at Strength 10, dealt 5 wounds, but then I saved 4, losing a single Shieldbeard! Bolt of Change: 3 dice to cast, 2 dice used, successful with a 10, but I was able to dispel the spell using 3 dice. 3 dice to cast, 2 dice used, successful with an 11, and I let it go. Blue Fire: 1 dice to cast, 1 dice used, successful with a 7, and I failed to dispel the spell. In the shooting phase, both of the Chariots shot their spurts of flame at my Rangers and cut the unit in half. The game was not going my way...
IMG 1314
IMG 1315
Dwarfs Turn One: My Gyrocopter and Longbeards charged the unit of Pink Horrors nearest them. My Longbeards failed, but my Gyrocopter made it in. The Rangers charged the Soulgrinder. They needed boxcars to make the charge and ended up failing. At least they still got nearly as far as they would have had they marched forward. In my magic phase, I got 19 PD to my opponent's 13 dispel dice. I spammed Ungrim's Lord of Fire spell, but I couldn't get it through my opponent's magic defense. I didn't even make him sweat. There was no shooting, so we went straight to combat. My Gyrocopter and the Pink Horrors traded wounds, and everybody stayed around. I was feeling very glad I had taken that MRoPassage!
IMG 1316
IMG 1317
CL2: My opponent flew some more Screamers over to torment my Rangers and basically moved everything around so that I would have a hard time charging it. Then came the next magic phase: 23 PD to my 8 DD... Doom and Darkness: 2 dice to cast, 2 dice used, spell failed--fortunately! Pink Fire: 2 dice to cast, 2 dice used, successful with a 9, and I let it go--Strength 5 and 9 dead Longbeards later, I regretted doing so. Pink Fire: 3 dice to cast, 3 dice used, successful with an 8, but I dispelled the spell with 3 dice. Pink Fire: 2 dice to cast, 2 dice used, successful with a 9, but I dispelled the spell with 3 dice. Fate of Bjorna: cast for free by the Blue Scribes; I let it go, it dealt for wounds to my BSB. I saved 3 of those wounds, but my BSB would be Stupid for the rest of the game... Soulblight against my Longbeards: 4 dice to cast, 3 dice used, successful with a 15, and I used a RoSpellbreaking to stop it. Soulblight against my Longbeards again: 3 dice to cast, 3 dice used, successful with a 15, and I used my other RoSpellbreaking on it. Soulblight again against my Longbeards: 4 dice to cast, 3 dice used, successful with a 12, and I failed to dispel the spell with 2 dice. Soulblight against my Longbeards again: 3 dice to cast, 3 dice used, successful with an 11, and I had nothing left to stop the spell. Pink Fire: 1 die to cast, 1 die used, spell failed. Flock of Doom: 1 die to cast, 1 die used, spell failed.
Finally, we moved on to the shooting phase, where my Rangers got more of the same they were dealt the turn before. The unit was now going to be a lost cause. We had a rules dispute at this point. Help me out if any of you know how this is supposed to work. So, there's an effect that some Tzeentch stuff has that makes an enemy unit take a Toughness test at the end of a phase in which that unit has taken a casualty from something. My opponent insisted that the Toughness test is taken against the majority toughness of the unit. But looking at the BRB rules for characteristic tests, it states that the test is taken against the highest characteristic of the model (unit). The example it gives is that of a cavalry model, so we're at a bit of a dilemma here. Do I get to take the Toughness test against Bugman's Toughness 5, or do I have to take the Toughness test against the Rangers' Toughness 4? And if I can take the Toughness test against Bugman's Toughness 5, do I have to allocate any hits due to a failed test against Bugman? Or are the hits allocated to the unit?
IMG 1318
D2: My Rangers charged the Soulgrinder again--and failed their charge again. My Longbeards successfully completed their charge into the Pink Horrors. In combat, my Dwarfs slaughtered the Pink Horrors, reforming for multiple charges on my next turn (hopefully).
IMG 1319
IMG 1320
CL3: My opponent charged his Soulgrinder, Chariots, and one unit of Screamers into my Rangers. Magic hurt worse this time, since I no longer had my Runes of Spellbreaking to defend. 21 PD to 9 DD. Soulbight: 5 dice to cast, 3 dice used, successful with an 11, but I dispelled the spell with 4 dice. Soulblight: 6 dice to cast, 3dice used, successful with a 15, but I dispelled with 5 dice. Soulblight: 2 dice to cast, 2 dice used, spell failed. Doom and Darkness: 4 dice to cast, 3 dice used, spell failed by 1. Fate of Bjorna: Free from the Blue Scribes; I can't stop it. Pink Fire: 2 dice to cast, 2 dice used, spell failed. Final Transmutation against my Shieldbeards: 2 dice to cast, 1 dice used, spell failed. Purple Sun against my Shieldbeards: 2 dice to cast, 2 dice used, spell failed. Infernal Gateway: 1 die to cast, 1 die used, spell failed. Large Firestorm of Tzeentch: 2 dice to cast, 1 die used, spell failed. Blue Fire: 1 die, Strength 1. Blue Fire: failed. Flock of Doom: 2 dice to cast, 2 dice used, successful with an 11, and I can't stop it. My Rangers stuck around in combat, because they were Stubborn, and while Bugman survived narrowly, my Rangers were not going to be around for long.
IMG 1321
IMG 1322
D3: I decided to split my characters up. I figured each of them could handle themselves on their own, as could the Shieldbeards, so I used the Silver Horn and charged Ungrim, the Tunesmith, and my BSB into the unit of Beastmen. I charged my Blingsmith into a unit of Pink Horrors on my right flank. Ungrim killed a whopping 2 Beastmen models, while my BSB killed off the spellcaster on the left and my Tunesmith killed off the caster on the right. The rest of the unit panicked and I had the Tunesmith chase them to make sure I got the points. Ungrim and my BSB reformed to face off against other threats. The Blingsmith killed three Pink Horrors with his attacks and 5 more with the Fiery Ring of Thori, taking no wounds in return and destroying the enemy unit. Meanwhile, my Shieldbeards reformed to face off against all the stuff that made short work of my Rangers and Bugman.
IMG 1323
CL4: We were running short on time, so this would be the last round we would be able to get in, unfortunately. My opponent charged both chariots, the Soulgrinder, and his Lord of Change into my Shieldbeards. Only one chariot and the Lord of Change managed to make it into combat. Everything else moved about to acquire targets for casting spells or to avoid combat if possible. Some Screamers did enough damage to my BSB to deal the last wound and kill him. Then came the dreaded magic phase. Having taken out some of my opponent's wizards and units, things were a lot less scary this time round. 13 PD to my 8 DD. Purple Sun for free from the Blue Scribes: I dispelled the spell with 5 dice! Infernal Gateway: 3 dice to cast, 3 dice used, spell failed. Blue Fire: 6 dice to cast, 1 die used, successful with a 7, and I let it go; it killed my Blingsmith... Summon Infernal Legion: 3 dice to cast, 3 dice used, spell failed. Warpfire Vortex: 3 dice to cast, 3 dice used, and the spell failed. It could have been so much worse. I was glad for my luck! Combat saw my Shieldbeards do a single unsaved wound to the Lord of Change and 3 unsaved wounds to the Chariot. But they took several casualties from the daemonic onslaught. They held their ground, though.
IMG 1324
D4: Ungrim charged the Soulgrinder. It was a long charge, but he made it in! He obliterated the as-of-yet unscathed Soulgrinder in one go and overran almost enough to contact the chariot on the other side. That would help! Meanwhile, the Longbeards held their own against the Lord of Change and dealt the last wound to the Chariot, grabbing its points in the 11th hour!
IMG 1325
IMG 1326

We tallied up the victory points, and I came out ahead by 104 points, I think! I won by a slim margin. It was little comfort, though, because had we played that game out to 6 rounds, my Dwarfs may very well have been tabled. I have little doubt I would have lost devastatingly.

GAME THREE

My last game was against Lizardmen. Ethereal Slann with Wandering Deliberations, 3 or 4 units of Skink skirmishers, a couple units of Chameleon Skinks, a Saurus BSB, 2 Skink Priests, a special character Stegadon (?), and three blocks of 30 Saurus Warriors. Had I come up against this force in a regular 8th edition game, I would have been mildly anxious. With ET magic, I was downright hopeless. The only reason to play the game would be to see how badly I would lose. My characters hated my opponent's characters, and I once more lost the roll-off for first turn, unsurprisingly.

Lizardmen Turn One: The Skink cloud moved forward, and the rest of the Lizardmen hordes moved up behind them. The magic phase was brutal: 15 Pd to my 12 DD initially gave me a sense of encouragement. I felt I could handle that. But then, the Slann started actually casting spells. Throne of Vines: 2 dice to cast, 2 dice used, successful with a 15, and I let it go. Flesh to Stone: 1 die to cast, 1 die used, spell failed. Plague of Rust on my Shieldbeards: 6 dice to cast, 2 dice used, successful with a 15, but I was able to dispel the spell with 5 dice. His 2 PD to my 5 DD was not a good trade. I was starting to get nervous. Plague of Rust again: 2 dice to cast, 2 dice used, successful with a 12, and I failed to dispel the spell with 4 dice. That was frustrating. Plague of Rust again: 1 die to cast, 1 die used, successful with a 9, but I was able to dispel the spell with my 3 remaining dice. Plague of Rust again: 4 dice to cast, 2 dice used, successful with an 8, and I had to use my first Rune of Spellbreaking to stop it. Plague of Rust again: 2 dice to cast, 2 dice used, successful with a 14, and I had to use my second Rune of Spellbreaking to stop it. Plague of Rust AGAIN: 5 dice to cast, 2 dice used, successful with a 12, and now I had nothing left to try and stop my opponent's spells. Plague of Rust AGAIN: 2 dice to cast, 1 die used, successful with an 8. Plague of Rust AGAIN: 3 dice to cast, 1 die used, and the spell finally failed. At the end of the magic phase, both my Rangers and Shieldbeards were down to a 6+ armour save. The shooting from the Skinks and Stegadon could have been worse, but I was really feeling grateful for the MRoGrungni after several 5+ Ward Saves against the Lizardmen shooting. My luck just would not hold out against that sort of magic, though...

IMG 1327
IMG 1329
IMG 1330
IMG 1332
IMG 1333
Dwarfs Turn One: I moved my Gyrocopter and my Blingsmith to use their template attacks against the bunched up Skinks near my Shieldbeards. I then moved the Shieldbeards towards the Lizardmen combat lines. I made a mistake here, though. I had my Rangers stay in place thinking they could shoot at something. I felt like I might actually have ranged superiority in this game, since my opponent basically had a bunch of Skinks and a bolt thrower on the Stegadon. My armour was basically gone, but I still had the MRoGrungni WS to fall back on. Unfortunately, I didn't think at the time that my opponent's magic phase could contribute to his ranged capabilities. I should have just moved the Rangers up right alongside the Shieldbeards. In my magic phase, I spammed Lord of Fire, forgetting to dispel Throne of Vines. My opponent stopped every last cast of Lord of Fire, except the last--and he would have stopped that one, too, had I not gotten Irresistible Force. I rolled an 11 for the number of hits, and killed 9 of the 10 Skinks in the unit directly in front of my Shieldbeards, who panicked and fled back towards their own table edge. I then shot the Saurus Warriors beyond, rolling pitifully and dealing a single unsaved wound to them. What a waste! I was frustrated that I hadn't just marched them forward as I had done with my Shieldbeards. The Gyrocopter and Runesmith killed a ton of Skinks on my right flank, destroying one of the units on that side and damaging another. I had effectively taken the teeth out of the Skink cloud, which was really my biggest tactical worry in the game. The next challenge would be breaking the back of the Lizardmen army by crushing the Saurus blocks in close combat. Provided my Dwarfs survived to get there...
IMG 1334

IMG 1335
L2: The Lizardmen once again moved around to get good lanes of fire with which to shoot my units and to avoid allowing my Dwarfs to engage them in close combat. The magic phase was worse than I might have expected: 12 PD to my 6 DD. My opponent started with Searing Doom: 5 dice to cast, 2 dice used, spell failed. Flesh to Stone: 3 dice to cast, 2 dice used, and I let it go. Plague of Rust: 2 dice to cast, 2 dice used, successful with Irresistible Force. Notice that had I been not an idiot and dispelled Throne of Vines on my turn, my opponent would not have been able to ignore the miscast on a 2+, which he did in the end. My Shieldbeards no longer had any armour save whatsoever. Shem's Burning Gaze was next: 4 dice to cast, 1 die used, successful with a 10, and I let it go. Firebll: 6 dice to cast, 1 die used, successful with an 8, but I was able to dispel the spell with 2 dice. Fireball again: 2 dice to cast, 1 die used, successful with a 10, and I let it go. Fireball AGAIN: 4 dice to cast, 1 die used, successful with a 12, and I let it go again. He finally killed my Blingsmith. That wasn't happy. Plague of Rust: successful, I had no magic defense left, and now my Rangers no longer had an armour save. Plague of Rust AGAIN: successful, I had no magic defense left, and now my Gyrocopter was down to a 5+ armour save. My Gyrocopter panicked and fled away from the Runesmith that had been burnt to a crisp nearby. Shooting dealt some more casualties, but still nothing serious.
IMG 1336
D2: I needed a horribly long charge (11, I think?) for the Longbeards to reach the middle unit of Saurus Warriors. I would probably not give up much movement if I failed the charge, and who knows? I might make it. So, I declared the charge. I rolled the dice, and my Shieldbeards made it in! My opponent and I were both quite surprised. My plan was to hopefully crush the Saurus in combat, pursue or overrun as the case may be, and then turn in time for a double-charge with the support of my Rangers against the Slann and/or the Saurus block on my left flank. After that, I could turn my attention to the remaining Saurus block and Stegadon (which I anticipated would go down easy to Ungrim). My Gyrocopter rallied, but it wouldn't matter with all those Skinks around. And finally, my Rangers marched forward this time, as they should have done last round. I remembered to dispel Throne of Vines this time. Too little too late, though. The Shieldbeards butchered the Saurus and pursued them, but ultimately failed to run them down. I was okay with that. I would have preferred to have destroyed the unit completely, of course, but they really were no longer a threat, I felt. Panic checks were all passed, and we moved on to my opponent's turn.
IMG 1337
IMG 1338
L3: The Lizardmen moved to react to my Shieldbeards. His fleeing units rallied. 18 PD to 11 DD this time, which was not a good thing. Nothing was a good thing for magic this game, but that kind of ratio meant I would be completely at my opponent's mercy. Throne of Vines: 5 dice to cast, 2 dice used, successful with a 13, and I chose to let it go. Shem's Burning Gaze: 1 die to cast, 1 die used, successful with a 9, and I let it go. The spell killed my Gyrocopter. Flesh to Stone on the recently-rallied Saurus Warriors: 2 dice to cast, 2 dice used, successful with a 16, but I was able to dispel the spell with 4 dice. Had I known what was coming, I would have let that go and dealt with T8 Saurus Warriors. Soulblight: 1 die to cast, 1 die used, and the spell failed. Regrowth on the same Saurus block: 3 dice to cast, 3 dice used, successful with a 13, and I let it go. My opponent healed two Saurus Warriors, but it really woundn't have mattered. Dwellers: 4 dice to cast, 4 dice used, successful with a 19, but I was able to dispel the spell with 7 dice. Fulminating Flame Cage: 4 dice to cast, 3 dice used, successful with a 14, and I had nothing left with which to try and stop the spell. This was REALLY bad. I would lose half the unit if I decided to move them at all! My plan had been completely nullified. I would not be able to move my Shieldbeards on my turn, which meant that I had lost the initiative in the battle. My opponent would be able to charge them on multiple sides, and I would have to hope they could hold out until my Rangers could cross enough of the board to relieve them... Shooting killed a few more Dwarfs.
IMG 1339
D3: My Rangers attempted a long charge against the Saurus Warriors on the left flank, but they failed and moved up 5 inches. I flung several Lord of Fire attempts at the Saurus Warriors in front of me, but I ended the magic phase having done a single unsaved wound to them with their magically enhanced Toughness 8. With no shooting and no combat, it made for a very short turn.
L4: We were once again running out of time already, so this would be the final round. The Saurus Warriors on my left charged into the flank of my Shieldbeards, while the Saurus Warriors to my front charged their front. The Stegadon charged into the rear of the unit, and the other unit of Saurus Warriors charged their right flank. I figured I was about to be very glad that my unit was Stubborn! Skinks moved around to shoot at my Rangers later, and we moved into the worst magic phase yet: 20-11. Flesh to Stone on the Saurus in the center: 1 die to cast, 1 die used, and the spell failed. Flaming Sword of Rhuin: 4 dice to cast, 2 dice used, successful with an 11, and I let it go. There were worse things yet to fear still to come, I was certain. Enchanted Blades of Aiban: 5 dice to cast, 2 dice used, successful with an 11, and I let it go. Enchanted Blades of Aiban: 1 die to cast, 1 die used, and the spell failed. Wyssan's Wildform: 3 dice to cast, 2 dice used, successful with an 11, and I let it go. Wyssan's Wildform again: 4 dice to cast, 2 dice used, and the spell failed. Speed of Light: 1 die to cast, 1 die used, and the spell failed. Birona's Timewarp: 6 dice to cast, 3 dice used, successful with a 16, but I was able to dispel the spell with 5 dice. Birona's Timewarp: 5 dice to cast, 3 dice used, successful with a 16, but I was able to dispel the spell with 4 dice. Mystifying Miasma (empowered version): 6 dice to cast, 3 dice used, successful on a 16, and I failed to dispel the spell with my 2 remaining dispel dice. It lowered my shieldbeards' stats by 1, fortunately, but it was still bad. Hexes and augments everywhere were going to make it hard for my Dwarfs to hold out! I had to pass lots and lots of Parry saves--that is, where my Dwarfs would even be allowed a Parry save... Shooting killed a couple more Rangers, and it was on to combat. I moved Ungrim over to face off against the BSB and Stegadon. He totally fluffed his attacks and was then cut down for his trouble--also fluffing his deathblow. What a jerk. Stupid Ungrim. (I'm still really excited about painting that model, though, with the fire-and-dragon theme! I'm glad I have 2 of them so I can paint one up as regular Ungrim and the other as Ungrim, Incarnate of Fire!) Anyway, when all was said and done, I lost a bunch of Dwarfs, the Lizardmen lost hardly any Saurus Warriors, and my Shieldbeards passed their Stubborn break test.
IMG 1340
IMG 1341
IMG 1342
IMG 1343
D4: The big question: Would my Longbeards hold out one more round of combat? My rangers once more charged the Saurus Warriors on my left flank, but once again, they failed the long charge, so no help was coming. I had to rely on the Shieldbeards' Stubborn and numbers. When the dust settled, the Shieldbeards had survived. Had we played the game out to its full 6 turns, I am confident that my opponent would have tabled my Dwarfs.
IMG 1344
IMG 1345

The game ended in a solid win for the Lizardmen. I concluded that the End Times truly make the Dwarfs an endangered species. I further concluded that the new magic rules are broken as hell! The following is an analysis of the magic phases in these games.

Out of my three games, I only played one full game. (I think I may have been the only player there, along with my opponent for that game, who saw an entire game through to the end!) I basically didn't have a magic phase of my own, since I was playing a Dwarf army with access to a single innate bound spell. Meanwhile, my opponents spent ludicrous amounts of time on their magic phases (not because they weren't decisive or spent long amounts of time deciding what to cast, but simply because it took forever to go through all the steps, taking a reasonable amount of time to make decisions) as I sat there trying to decide what spells to let through and what spells to stop, because there was no way I was going to be able to stop all the spells I needed to stop. Those made all three of my games just crappy. I did not enjoy them, and the entire day was just as painful as I anticipated it would be. It's hard to just stand there and watch as my opponent casts spells, one after another, with the crippling feeling that there's just nothing I can do about it. At least one of my opponents took pity on me, choosing spells to cast that would at least allow me to stay in the game, though I still lost the game badly--didn't even have a chance to win!

The spells currently available are far too powerful for a 4D6-PD magic phase with no limit to the power pool. The magic phase was the reason I lost my games. (There might have been other reasons I would have lost my games, but none of those reasons would hold a candle to my opponents' magic.) Even against the Legions of Chaos (Tzeentch) army, I only won because we ran out of time. Had we played through even one more round, I am confident that the Chaos magic would have won him the game with a huge margin. The 8th edition magic phase is already painful enough to live through with its existing imbalances. Taking that same mechanic and doubling it, while at the same time removing any restrictions, absolutely breaks the game. AND I PLAYED DWARFS FOR CRYING OUT LOUD! If Dwarfs can't hope to stop magic, then no one can.

Just a little food for thought: 1) In three games, my opponents had 14 magic phases total--should have been 18, but like I said, I didn't get to finish two of my games). 2) Out of 14 enemy magic phases, my opponents attempted a staggering 115 spells! That's over 8 spells attempted per magic phase! 3) 41 of those spells failed for one reason or another. That's just under a 36% fail rate. That may seem high, but it actually translates to less than 3 failed spells per magic phase. That means more than 5 spells were successfully cast each magic phase! 4) 31 spells were successfully dispelled. That's a dispel rate of just under 27%. Here, it bears noting that Dwarfs have some distinct advantages when it comes to dispelling, not least of which is the fact that I had two Runes of Spellbreaking--Bretonnians are the only others who get a second automatic dispel (if I recall correctly). Beyond that, any wizard attempting to dispel a spell will get a bonus to the dispel attempt equal to the wizard's level, but the wizard must roll for the number of dispel dice used in the dispel attempt. Dwarfs can dispel "with the army" and still get their innate +2 bonus to dispel while choosing how many dice they want to use to try to dispel a spell. 5) 43 enemy spells were successfully cast and not successfully dispelled by me. That's a success rate of over 37%, which translates to just over 3 spells successfully cast and not dispelled PER MAGIC PHASE! (In one magic phase (the top of the first turn of one of my games), I had Plague of Rust successfully cast at me 7 times in a row, 5 of which I was able to stop, though it burned through both of my Runes of Spellbreaking! My opponent was still able to cast Plague of Rust twice successfully, then Throne of Vines, and finally, failed to cast Plague of Rust, still had dice, and finally failed to cast Flesh to Stone. All in the first turn of the game!!!) Compare that with the normal 1 spell or less that would often get through my magic defense using regular 8th edition magic.

Edited by Swordthain, 13 September 2016 - 06:50 PM.

#10 Montegue

Montegue

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,748 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 03:54 PM

yeah, new magic rules are bad bad bad for tournament play. They take too damn long to get through. 

#11 Durak

Durak

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 08:20 PM

Thanks for the report. No way in hell am I playing an ET game.

Still, if GW wanted to make dwarfs an endangered species fluffwise, at least they finally made the rules match. 

#12 Swordthain

Swordthain

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,003 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 08:52 PM

Those were my thoughts. ;-)

#13 Cuthbo

Cuthbo

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 10:08 AM

Thanks for posting these reports! I had no idea End Times was so brutal. Luckily nobody in my group wants to play it. Poor dwarfs...

#14 Swordthain

Swordthain

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,003 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 03:35 PM

My pleasure, Cuthbo! My gaming club worked through what we wanted to do with the monthly tournaments. Some liked the new ET stuff--especially the magic--and didn't think it would be too over the top. Others wanted to have nothing to do with it. Others, including myself, were willing to compromise, provided we made some concessions for the sake of game balance (such as spells successfully dispelled counting as unsuccessfully cast, for example). In the end, the ET supporters won out, having convinced the others that they wouldn't be able to say whether the ET rules were over the top or not unless they had actual experience with the system. So I said, 1) I don't need personal experience jumping off a cliff to know that plastering my guts on the ground below will kill me, 2) ET magic will prove far too powerful to preserve any semblance of game balance, 3) our games will take far too long, and we won't be able to finish them, 4) ET magic will be too easy to abuse, 5) Elves and Lizardmen will be far too powerful and will win--just win, period--while Dwarfs will be virtually unplayable, 6) the magic in these games just wouldn't be fun in this context, 7) I would bring my Dwarfs and suffer through my games to prove my point. Going forward, it looks like we're going to just cut out ET magic. I think using the "legion" lists and special characters is still going to be very problematic. But at least we won't be using the ET magic, I guess.

#15 Cuthbo

Cuthbo

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 01:59 PM

To be honest...in my gaming group we all think Dwarfs are unplayable even with normal magic rules! We've all agreed not to touch End Times. And to give dwarfs 200 extra points in games. 

Elves with twice the magic power: this makes me want to puke my guts out :chris:

Hope to see more balanced game reports from you in the future! I like seeing your ambush dwarfs kicking butt :D

#16 Swordthain

Swordthain

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,003 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 03:59 PM

I hope to be able to provide more balanced game reports in the future, hopefully using my ambush Dwarfs!  :thumbup:

#17 MeuhMeuh

MeuhMeuh

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 04:11 PM

I don't actually think dwarves are unplayable in a normal setting, against a non-legion army (those are terribly overpowered).

Some match ups are way harder than other but all and all I think dwarves are a pretty balanced army.

Swordthain plays in a very specific and agressive style that don't use the "mash powerhouse" that most of us run, and therefore is exposed to some things that won't be a problem in other lists ! I mean by that that when you run dwarves without warmachines (I experienced that quite a bit), you find out that those big monsters/characters are a problem whereas they weren't when you had you canons. Same goes with chaff units and redirectors with organ guns. In the other hand, enormous vanguarding dwarf blocks deal pretty efficiently with things that would be a problem in a gunline. 

All in all, warhammer is still somewhat a matter of rock/paper/scissor, I don't mean that the result of the game is decided before it starts by the lists, but that some orientations in every lists (except maybe for DoC :P) are more exposed to some threats than others ! 

#18 Swordthain

Swordthain

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,003 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 04:33 PM

Totally agree with you, here, MeuhMeuh. That's something I just have to accept when I decide to take any particular force to the battlefield--I won't have something to deal with everything in all likelihood. It didn't used to be that way, though, I might add. I feel like the new Dwarf army book really pigeonholed Dwarfs into a very specific play style that merely offers theoretical answers to the threats from other factions, but that those options fail miserably in their actual application. In many, many ways, I would rather use the old 6th edition army book, to be honest. The new book has some fun toys, but I NEVER use the weapon runes, for example. They're just WAY OVERCOSTED! The result is that Dwarfs are now WAY behind in terms of power, and with the new legions lists, they're going to be tough to eek out wins with. If using ET magic, just leave them at home. Seriously. Or just don't play. It's a sad prospect. Thanks a lot, Games Workshop! Dirty bastards.

#19 Montegue

Montegue

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,748 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 04:17 AM

Just build hard as nails. Twin organs with ME's two cannons, a couple of Grudge Throwers, and two solid blocks of stubborn great weapons with some gyros for redirection. It's universal in it's application. Boring as hell after a while, but I think it holds against most legions armies (HotEK being the notable exception). I also wouldn't play games with end times magic rules. 

#20 Cuthbo

Cuthbo

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 12:26 PM

Totally agree with you, here, MeuhMeuh. That's something I just have to accept when I decide to take any particular force to the battlefield--I won't have something to deal with everything in all likelihood. It didn't used to be that way, though, I might add. I feel like the new Dwarf army book really pigeonholed Dwarfs into a very specific play style that merely offers theoretical answers to the threats from other factions, but that those options fail miserably in their actual application. In many, many ways, I would rather use the old 6th edition army book, to be honest. The new book has some fun toys, but I NEVER use the weapon runes, for example. They're just WAY OVERCOSTED! The result is that Dwarfs are now WAY behind in terms of power, and with the new legions lists, they're going to be tough to eek out wins with. If using ET magic, just leave them at home. Seriously. Or just don't play. It's a sad prospect. Thanks a lot, Games Workshop! Dirty bastards.

This!  :animier:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dwarfs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users