#1 Gormadon

Gormadon

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 02:27 PM

Hello fellow Dawi,

I am getting frustrated with my current paintbrushes. I was originally gifted a set of 10 or something, but I only really use 1 or 2 now, and even they are being unreliable for me. I am really looking for a set of good, very fine detail brushes that will last a while. Does anyone know where to get some, either online or in a store, preferably for cheap? Is there a certain brand that is very good?

I spoke to my friend about it earlier, and he said that I probably should go to Michael's or some craft goods store. He said they sell brushes there that look really nice for $15 a piece, or you can get a 6-pack for $80, and that I should just look up how to properly maintain good brushes like that. I kind of balked at that price, but then I realized that this is my friend's philosophy for everything (i.e., develop an interest in something and then buy seemingly the most expensive version/tool/equipment for it because he thinks you get what you pay for and there is no good quality things that are cheap).

Before I went out and bought brushes that cost more than some of my models, I wanted to check with you guys and see if you guys know of a trusted brand or store or whatever. Even though my friend suggested that expensive option, he said he usually just gets a cheap 10-pack at Walmart for like $6, but each brush is usually only good the first few times you use them.

#2 greenstuff_gav

greenstuff_gav

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 140 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 02:30 PM

Army Painter brushes are quite good, i personally don't like the triangular handles, but that's Old School Thinking!

i tried £1.50 Expo brushes recently, and while cheap, don't last more'n a month (or atleast with my heavy hand / fast pace) .. GW are quite good but £8 a brush not cheap!

i keep meaning to try some of these:

abcbrushes | eBay

#3 Theatralic

Theatralic

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 02:56 PM

Pricewise Roemary and co makes nice ones, Series 33 and 401 being my Recommendations:

http://www.rosemaryandco.com/

If you can and want spent more I swear on Winsor and Newton Series 7 and Raphael 8408. Those are Top Notch Quality Brushes and for me win over Rosemary and co.

But you really need to take care of them, dutyfully.

#4 LancerD

LancerD

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 03:40 PM

For detail work I love my Winsor and Newton sable brushes; they have enough length to hold a decent amount of paint and maintain a consistent flow while keeping a very good point. Almost all my painting other than basecoating and drybrushing is done with two brushes, a size 0 and a 00. They are surprisingly durable too if you take care of them and have lasted about three times as long as the GW ones I started with when I first began painting and are still going strong. They are a UK company though, so if you are in the states they may be more expensive than your local brands of equivalent quality. 

I also use Vallejo synthetic rushes for stuff like basecoating, drybrushing and glues because I have found they have good stiff bristles and decent durability (and because a few came with the paint set I bought), but they don't keep a sharp point all that long. 

Bear in mind that whatever you get, they will eventually wear out. Brushes are consumables just like paint. You will make them last longer if you take the time to maintain them though. I recommend using "the masters brush cleaner and preserver" after painting sessions to make sure no paint dries on the bristles or in the ferrule and to help maintain a sharp point. 

[EDIT] Forgot to add that the Raphael 8404 is also very good, being on par with the W&N, so go with whichever is cheaper for you. 

Edited by LancerD, 18 October 2014 - 04:02 PM.

#5 Skull Krusher

Skull Krusher

Skazastoki

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,525 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 04:23 PM

My Rinn uses hair shampoo and conditioner to clean her paint brushes after use.  Hers seem to last longer than mine.  I hang mine in soapy water with the ultasonic cleaner turned on and it helps to remove the paint away from the metal collar on the handle...  We stopped going to Michaels since their brushes are either to cheaply made or to expensive...  No middle ground.

#6 Foe-Hammer

Foe-Hammer

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 07:51 PM

I've had a lot of good use from the Army Painter brushes.  In my experience, the AP brushes hold a point much better than the GW range (I'm sure others have had various results).  

#7 Trojan6565

Trojan6565

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 08:26 PM

I'll toss my vote in for Army Painter Brushes... I favor them heavily over any other brush I've had, currys art brushes/GW old and new brushes/ some other art brush that was a waste of money... Army Painter was by far the best.

#8 Darkblade

Darkblade

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 02:23 PM

Mark me down as a Windsor & Newton man and the odd Raphael too.

#9 Gormadon

Gormadon

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 12:20 PM

Thanks guys! You've been a big help! I know what I want for Christmas now!

Drinks all around! :thumbup:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: painting, brush

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users