Photo

Basing Your Miniatures. How Do You Do It?

basing hobby q&a

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Cradik Brightkiln

Cradik Brightkiln

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 07:22 PM

So, I started adding basing material to my Dwarfs. I'm just putting down a thin layer of thinned white glue and then dredging the model through a very fine ballast material from Woodland Scenics.

Is there a better way? Do you base your models first then glue the mini to the base? If so, how do you attach the model to the base without it looking weird or pulling away from the basing material?

I've already done about half the army, so I am beyond the point of no return I think... But I'd like to know a better way for when I do my other armies.

Any help, suggestions, or advice is appreciated. Help a Brother out.

#2 Ozariig

Ozariig

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 09:43 PM

I wanted my army to look like it was standing on solid rock instead of dirt, so I start with a sheet of cork that I cut pieces from and glue onto bases using super glue.  After that, I paint the edges with thinned white glue and dip the bases in sand.  I glue the model on top after, then basecoat and paint the whole thing together.

The sand still gets loose, but at least the mini is on something more solid :)

You can see pictures of the end result by clicking the link in my signature.

#3 bearpaws

bearpaws

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 09:37 AM

depends =)

On R+F - i glue them to the base and paint it - after that base is being done.

On more center piece models i usually paint them seperatly. but their bases are something special most of the time.

#4 Lord Alisk

Lord Alisk

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 09:41 AM

I paint my bases with a mixture of PVA glue and sand (just sand from the beach ideally - there's no reason to pay for it if you can avoid it. Now I live a long way from the sea I'm using builder's sand - it's so cheap). I do this before I paint the model, but after it's been assembled and cleaned.

I normally work from a black undercoat, and paint the base black too. Then I drybrush the base up to a light grey colour, as I want my dwarfs to look like they're in a craggy alpine environment.

Then I paint the model. It's important to paint the base before the model, as drybrushing is always messy, so if you do the base first you don't then have to go and re-paint the shoes or any other part of the model touching the floor.

When the model is finished, I then go and paint the edges of the base (I use dark green), and add static grass, tufts, shrubs or flowers, or any other scenic bits and bobs.

If you wanted to add anything set into the sand (so dropped weapons or other items, or half buried skulls, etc.) you'd add them before the sand.

#5 Reka Dvegrsson

Reka Dvegrsson

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 10:55 AM

I tend to paint the model attatched to the base, but don't put sand on the base until after the model is finished.

For my dwarfs I paint the sand black, then drybrush with Fenris Grey, Codex Grey, then white. Afterwards I mix baking soda (not baking powder!) with PVA glue and place it on the base as snow :) Once the snow paste is on the base and still wet I submerge the base in baking soda so that the snow as a fluffier finish.

#6 .Grudgebearer.

.Grudgebearer.

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 01:44 PM

I usually use model sand in two layers as well as the different sized rocks from the citadel basing kit to achieve an alpine base design. I use some larger stones before I apply smaller ones around them which looks as follows:

4s2gmv5g.jpg

pn5dynli.jpg

Once the bases are painted I'm going to apply some static grass :)

#7 Cradik Brightkiln

Cradik Brightkiln

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 02:54 PM

Thanks everyone for your input.

I'm using a very fine ballast and I think it really isn't "fine" enough. I think when its painted, its going to look more like they are marching through a gravel pit... When I do my High Elves, I'm definitely going to buy some model sand...

I've got 96 models based so far. I need to do the other  30 before I can start priming. Tuesday and Wednesday looks like its going to be perfect for priming so I am trying to get them all done before then.

Once I am done with the models, I'll add some static grass here and there to break things up a little.

#8 madtree

madtree

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 03:32 PM

I am going with Celesra Grey followed by Mourn snow texture and some white scar. I add tufts of grass. This gives a first snow look where all the grass isn't covered yet. Add in some rock from woodland I think they call it Talic.

#9 Blue in VT

Blue in VT

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 03:15 AM

Here is a link to a blog post I did on the subject:

http://bluesmarauder...-of-months.html

Cheers,

Blue

#10 Darkblade