Photo

Dwarf Rune Lore - The Missing Page From Our Book!

• Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

#1 Zimron

Zimron

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 01:23 AM

Yes - this is just something I put together for fun - no it isn't really a missing page :D though that would be nice!!

Aim: Try to make the Anvil playable / competitive

Preface: This would mean that by taking an Anvil of Doom, a Runelord gains access to the "Lore of Runes" and is a loremaster of that lore. He does not add anything to the casting attempts. The spells may never be forgotten or removed (they're hard coded so to speak).

What I would kinda like: Opinions :D!! If anyone feels like it / has time / has lots of games (totally no obligation of course!) and you feel like maybe giving this a look over or a run in a game that would be awesome :) - at the moment im just worried i've set the casting values too low - but im not 100% sure. So any feedback / comments / constructive criticism would be fantastic :) - chances are this will just be a house rule at our local club of course so nothing major - just a bit of fun! 

Are some of the spells under-powered? Over-powered? totally stupid?

Yes i know my spelling sucks! Its a known thing :D

Behold! Page 37.5!

gallery_7867_1088_1001267.jpg

Link to the PDF: here

LORE OF RUNES proposed changes in RED

RUNIC FOCUS (Lore Attribute)
Binding the winds of magic to runes and striking them upon great anvils of power takes years of hard training and experience where even the smallest slip in focus can be catastrophic. Runelords learn how to strike the runes in such a way as to focus their power and create a resonance and harmony that strengthens further strikes as they build layer upon layer of power. Before Deployment the Runelord generates D3 Runic Focus Tokens. Each successful casting of a bound spell from the Lore of Runes that isn’t cast with Ancient Power generates one Runic Focus Token. Attempting to cast bound spells from the Lore of Runes with Ancient Power will use up a number of Runic Focus Tokens (specified in each spell discription) even if the spell is subsequently dispelled. There can never be more than 4 Runic Focus Tokens stored with the Anvil at any time, further successful casts do not generate further Runic Focus Tokens. For each Runic Focus Token the Anvil has stored before a spell is cast, it reduces the level of any wizard attempting to dispel by 1 (to a minimum of 0) for the dispel roll only. If any rune strike results in Irresistible Force, after the spells effects are worked out, all stored Runic Focus Tokens are lost, and the Runelord suffers D6 Strength 6 hits.

THE RUNE OF WRATH AND RUIN 
(SIGNATURE RUNE)
The Rune of Wrath and Ruin causes the earth to crack, venting forth fire and sulphur.

Innate bound spell (power level 5). The Rune of Wrath and Ruin is a direct damage spell with a range of 24” that causes 2D6 Strength 4 hits, distributed as per shooting. The caster may choose to strike with Ancient Power causing any unit hit to be unable to march or make a fly move during their next movement phase instead which increases the power level to 13 and costs one Runic Focus Token.

1. THE RUNE OF OATH AND STEEL 
The blessing of Grungni hardens Dwarf mail as each suit of armour remembers the hammer blows that forged it.

Innate bound spell (power level 4). The Rune of Oath and Steel is an augment spell that targets a single friendly Dwarf unit anywhere on the battlefield. The target unit increases their armour save by 1 (to a maximum of 1+) until the start of the next friendly Magic phase. The caster may choose to strike with Ancient Power causing the Rune of Oath and Steel to target D3+1 friendly Dwarf units. This increases the power level to 10 and costs one Runic Focus Token.

2. THE RUNE OF HAMMER AND IRON 
The vengeance of the ancestors flows through the veins of the Dwarfs and they roar their contempt as they plow into them.

Innate bound spell (power level 5). The Rune of Hammer and Iron is an augment spell that targets a single friendly Dwarf unit anywhere on the battlefield. The target unit increases their Toughness by 1 until the start of the next friendly Magic phase. The caster may choose to strike with Ancient Power causing the Rune of Hammer and Iron to also cause the target unit to count as having charged during that round of combat. This increases the power level to 14 and costs one Runic Focus Token.

3. THE RUNE OF HEARTH AND HOME 
The Rune of Hearth and Home stirs a Dwarf’s pride in his hold, clan and ancestors.

Innate bound spell (power level 6). The Rune of Hearth and Home is an augment spell that targets a single friendly Dwarf unit within 24”. The target unit may immediately make a normal move, which may be a march or reform, but they not charge. They are now also able to parry with a great weapon OR re-roll any failed parry saves if they have a shield until the start of the next friendly magic phase. The caster may choose to strike with Ancient Power causing the target units to also have the Fight in extra ranks special rule until the start of the next friendly Magic phase. This increases the power level to 10 and costs one Runic Focus Token.

4. THE RUNE OF ROARING GRUDGES 
As the Runelord strikes this rune, he intones all the vile deeds committed by the enemy and pours his scorn upon them.

Innate bound spell (power level 7). The Rune of Roaring Grudges is a hex spell with a range of 24”. The target unit must make a Ld check, if passed it suffers a -1 penalty to hit with both shooting and close combat attacks until the start of the next friendly Magic phase. If they fail the test the unit is reduced to WS and BS 1 until the start of the next friendly Magic phase. Units that don't roll to hit (like cannons) can only fire on a 4+ (roll each time they try to fire) until the start of the next friendly Magic phase. The caster may choose to strike with Ancient Power increasing its range to 48". This increases the power level to 10 and costs one Runic Focus Token.

5. THE RUNE OF CALMING 
The blessings of Valaya spread out around the battlefield, syphoning away rampant magical energies.

Innate bound spell (power level 8). The Rune of Calming is a hex spell that targets a single non-friendly caster anywhere on the battlefield. During the opponent’s next magic phase, after the roll to determine how many dice are generated for the pool, remove a single dice from the opponent’s power dice pool if the target caster remains on the battlefield. The caster may choose to strike with Ancient Power causing the Dwarf player to also get a bonus to dispel during the opponents next magic phase depending on the number of Runic Focus Tokens used: 1 Runic Focus Token adds +2 to dispel attempts and 2 Runic Focus Tokens add +4. The Dwarf player can never get a bonus of more than +6 to dispel (this includes their racial bonus to dispel and the Master Rune of Valaya). This increases the power level to 16.

6. THE RUNE OF HEAVENS WRATH
The Runelord strikes the Rune of Heavens Wrath only when his anvil’s resonance is perfect and his focus absolute. Death streaks from the skies and burns the foe with cleansing lightning.

Innate bound spell (power level 12). The Rune of Heavens Wrath is a direct damage spell. Choose one enemy unit within 24", place the small template on the unit and scatter it D6". Models touched by the template suffer a S4 hit. The model under the hole suffers a S7 hit with Multiple Wounds (D3). 

The Runelord may choose to strike with Ancient Power raising the power level of the spell to 16. This increases the range of the spell to 30". Before casting, choose from 1 to 4 Runic Focus Tokens to use. Once the inital damage is resolved, remove a Runic Focus Token used to cast the spell and roll a scatter and an artillery dice. Move template the number of inches indicated. If its a misfire or if the template hits an ally unit, nothing happens and the token is wasted. If a hit is rolled, the runelord choose the direction it moves. Every model hit by the template new position suffer a S3 hit. The model under the central hole suffers a S6 hit. Return the template to its initial position and repeat until every token has been used.

ADDITIONAL STUFF

NOTE: If you choose to use the Lore of Runes with the below rules, bear in mind you are SIGNIFICANTLY moving away from a standard game with the book and hence might interfere with your playstyle if you also play tourneys (which clearly wont use these rules at all). The bonus to keeping the Lore of Runes to the Anvil in my mind; you woulnd't use an anvil at a tourney - so it wont affect the way you prep much :). Anyway here goes:

Talismanic Rune:

Rune of Power           35/70/105
Forged from the bindings of the mighty Runes of Power from the legendary Anvils of Doom, these lesser runes are created by novice Runesmiths as practice for their graduatiuon to the Anvil.

Runesmiths/Runelords only. May not be taken by a model mounted on an Anvil of Doom. A model with a Rune of Power has one randomly determined rune from the Lore of Runes.
A model with two Runes of Power has two randomly determined runes from the Lore of Runes.
A model with three Runes of Power has three randomly determined runes from the Lore of Runes.
A model with one or more Runes of Power generates a limit of a single Runic Focus Token per enemy Magic Phase if they successfully dispel a spell. They do NOT generate Runic Focus Tokens for successful castings as they have no anvil to achieve resonance.

Edited by Zimron, 12 December 2014 - 09:41 PM.

#2 Durak

Durak

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 02:27 AM

Why is this not in our book? I love it. It'd make the anvil worth taking and would have made up for our magic defense loss.

#3 cptfluffy

cptfluffy

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 02:30 AM

Interesting. Would the RL have access to all the runes? or roll to generate which they have mastered? Also, would it still be move-or-shoot?

Also, for "rune 4" the upgraded version might be extended range for cast instead of "all enamy units". I only say this, as the ranged effect at only 24 inches means very little when shooting with a 30'' longbow. Considering you're not getting any +to cast wizard lvl, I wouldn't see them as being too outlandish on the casting values. Though, I'm thinking "Rune 5" seems a bit broken... I was given enough grief last ed. on stealing just one die a turn! If I go and grab multiple, or even take them away I'm sure I'd hear no end to the whining. Would consider changing all together, as a stand-alone it could wipe an opponents magic phase, I'd probably just 6dice this all day long.

-Rune 1, if MroGroth is already available in the AB not sure if more access to army wide stubborn is necessary. Would consider immune to phsych for single unit then boosted add stubborn for again single unit? Just feeling a bit too much army wide off the spells in general.

Edited by cptfluffy, 18 September 2014 - 02:35 AM.

#4 Montegue

Montegue

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 02:55 AM

I would make rune 1's ancient power a reroll on Armor or Parry saves. I like the concept, though, quite a bit. 

#5 Zimron

Zimron

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 04:29 AM

Interesting. Would the RL have access to all the runes? or roll to generate which they have mastered? Also, would it still be move-or-shoot?

Also, for "rune 4" the upgraded version might be extended range for cast instead of "all enamy units". I only say this, as the ranged effect at only 24 inches means very little when shooting with a 30'' longbow. Considering you're not getting any +to cast wizard lvl, I wouldn't see them as being too outlandish on the casting values. Though, I'm thinking "Rune 5" seems a bit broken... I was given enough grief last ed. on stealing just one die a turn! If I go and grab multiple, or even take them away I'm sure I'd hear no end to the whining. Would consider changing all together, as a stand-alone it could wipe an opponents magic phase, I'd probably just 6dice this all day long.

-Rune 1, if MroGroth is already available in the AB not sure if more access to army wide stubborn is necessary. Would consider immune to phsych for single unit then boosted add stubborn for again single unit? Just feeling a bit too much army wide off the spells in general.

Yep - RL would be a "Loremaster" of this lore :). And yep - still move or shoot

The 1st rune already effects all units within 24" in the current book - i just added the ancient power version - Maybe instead of Stubborn it could be the re-roll to Parry saves (from Montegue) - I like that!

I think increased range sounds good - could prbably drop the AP version's level down a bit for that too :)

with 5 - I really want it to buff our defence of magic - i feel we seriously lack in that department so i really want it to be like in the books - "a base note boomed out and all the enemy spells just ended". Maybe just give the dwarfs +2/+4(Ancient Power) to dispell attempts during the next phase? just as if they were a level 2/4? think that would be better?

Also how do you feel about the Lore Attribute? does that sound fluffy/fun? I def dont want this to be "oh crud here comes that anvil again" but i do want it to be at least on par with say Death or Shadows, after all we would normally only get the ONE guy casting in the game unless we play huge points for mulitple anvils - we dont get a "level 1-2" version :D

#6 Warbarge

Warbarge

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 07:50 AM

Awesome idea.

I would suggest to have something "bad" happen for each token stored when a miscast is rolled.

#7 Zimron

Zimron

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:16 AM

you loose all the tokens on any misscast :) i think thats not great - they are innate bounds so i dont want it to be too terrible, it already stops casting for that phase :D - If you have a suggestion for something else though im all ears :)

#8 Warbarge

Warbarge

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:35 AM

Oh nothing too fancy. Bearing in mind that last edition's "miscast" had a chance to blow up the anvil + RL ...

I would suggest something like 1 wound per token, no armor save, maybe flaming attack (so you could protect him with 2+ WS).

#9 The Grim Delver

The Grim Delver

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 10:07 AM

I don´t know about the ancient power. I was just getting used to the anvil not blowing up all the time. :smiling: 

But besides that 10/10. You should apply for a job a at GW because I can´t understand how the guys doing the book managed to do such a shoddy job on the anvil. It should be the centrepiece of the army. Instead it´s packed up in a box gathering dust. And I own two of them.

#10 Zonni Kadrisdottir

Zonni Kadrisdottir

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:43 PM

Re the miscast - even simpler might be an automatic S6 Flaming hit per token?

#11 Montegue

Montegue

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:50 PM

Too easy to exploit with Furnace on the RL. 

#12 Zonni Kadrisdottir

Zonni Kadrisdottir

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 02:02 PM

True (but I think that's why Warbarge proposed it in the first place ;) )

In all fairness, though, if I'm quibbling over the exact consequence of a miscast, you can safely say I like the original idea!

Edit: stupid copy / paste!

Edited by Zonni Kadrisdottir, 18 September 2014 - 02:04 PM.

#13 Krudd Kraggsson

Krudd Kraggsson

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 02:33 PM

Zimron, you should really be working for GW!

Please stick up a battle report once you've tested it out, that would make interesting reading.

#14 kelvenmore

kelvenmore

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 02:51 PM

Love it.

Some suggestions
1. Allow for a runesmith to use the anvil. With appropriate limitations like nit being able to use ancient or a more severe miscast.
2. How about making the rune counters based on dispells or stealing dice from the opponent.
3. More powerful spell with a more severe miscast.
4. Make the ancient of the armour spell to increase the parry save.

#15 kelvenmore

kelvenmore

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 03:03 PM

I can´t understand how the guys doing the book managed to do such a shoddy job on the anvil.

Let me break it down for you. GW rights their rules to make money in addition to game play.
Number one reason to take the anvil was for movement. But we only take one anvil on average with the new rules we now take 2-3 gyros. Were the gyro cost as much as the anvil. It improves our movement limitation and is more profitable for GW. I can't blame GW.

#16 Montegue

Montegue

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 05:11 PM

I think you could have runesmiths and runelords take 1 or two of these runes when unmounted on the Anvil. Let the Anvil be Runelord only with the extra benefit of providing Loremaster to the Runelord who's mounted on it. 

That way you'll always have something to do in the Magic phase (similar to War Priests for the Empire), Runelords have a significant advantage over Runesmiths (Reason to actually take one), etc. 

#17 greenstuff_gav

greenstuff_gav

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 140 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:29 PM

i like 'em; hopefully my oppo will let me try them!

i'd argue Montegue's idea there; i'd restrict the Lore to the Anvil but allow Runesmiths to take the anvil at a penalty, we're paying alot of points but access to the lore as magic ain't dwarvish!

#18 The Grim Delver

The Grim Delver

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:50 PM

I can´t understand how the guys doing the book managed to do such a shoddy job on the anvil.

Let me break it down for you. GW rights their rules to make money in addition to game play.
Number one reason to take the anvil was for movement. But we only take one anvil on average with the new rules we now take 2-3 gyros. Were the gyro cost as much as the anvil. It improves our movement limitation and is more profitable for GW. I can't blame GW.

You can´t say it´s a choice, one or the other. Why can´t they have both new gyros and rules for the anvil that work. It´s their job to write rules to make every choice in each army viable. Even if they don´t produce a new model for the anvil, they should still write rules that make it worth taking.

And pricewise. it is still 46 euro. If someone was starting a Dwarf army would anyone advise them to spend 46 euros on an anvil of doom. I doubt it. If they did their job properly, people would buy 2-3 gyros and an anvil.

#19 Zimron

Zimron

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:30 PM

Thanks for the positive feedback guys! I've run it by my local group and I've added some of their suggestions as well as some from the above:

Changes:

Lore Attribute: added "If any rune strike results in Irresistible Force, after the spells effects are worked out, all stored Runic Focus Tokens are lost, and the Runelord takes a Strength 6 hit for every Runic Focus Token lost in this way. " Also changed it so only Normal strikes generate Tokens not Ancient Power strikes

#1 - Ancient Power is S5 not S6

#2 -  reroll any failed parry saves instead of Stubborn

#3 - no change

#4 - increasing its range to 48" on Ancient Power but only affects 1 unit - also removed its affect on TF and Asp arrows, dropped the casting level

#5 - Ancient Power changed to "causing the Dwarf player to also get a +2 to dispel during the opponents next magic phase if at least 1 dice was removed from their power pool." and only effects enemy casters on a 4+ now (so I normally see 2-3 casters, means an average of 1-2 dice removed :) )
#6 - now Ancient Power only effects D3 extra units 

:D

I had it suggested to me that I add in a movement spell as well - do you think we need it? If I did it would replace the #1 spell's regular effect with something like:

"Innate bound spell (power level 3). The Rune of Hearth and Home is an augment spell that targets a single friendly Dwarf unit within 24”. The target unit may immediately make a normal move, which may be a march but they not charge."

What do you think?

#20 Granitbeard

Granitbeard

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 12:22 AM

Personal opinion here, but if the stored focus are going to blow up in our faces, maybe the casting values of higher level spells should be less.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users