• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 madtree

madtree

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 10:37 PM

I played warhammer in the late 90s. I have always loved the dwarf style of play. My dad recently found my 3000pts worth of dwarfs in his storage unit. I dusted them off. Dipped them in Simple Green and have started repainting them. My favorite character has always been Josef Bugman.

I am wondering what is Bugman's viability in the game these days with the 8th ed rules? Beyond Bugman how do his rangers do? I have a unit of 20 including the command and bugman. Is a unit that size worth taking to battle or should they masquerade as long beards for this edition?

I am including a picture of my recent paint job of Bugman would love feedback on that as well. The banner for Bugman is the MadTree logo. It is a craft brewery in the Cincinnati area. Gives the model a little local flavor. They have an amazing IPA btw.

Josef Bugman

Bugman's Rangers

Edited by madtree, 03 September 2014 - 10:54 PM.

#2 cptfluffy

cptfluffy

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 12:16 AM

Bugman is actually one of our decent named characters in the current book. Mostly becuase he may deploy with the rangers and gives them stubborn most of the time, while also having a fairly nice set of stats, but item wise he's fairly squishy (especially if challanged) with only 3+AS no parry. He also gives the option to upgrade to bugmans which I feel is great. They get expensive, but the WS/BS/S increase really make them powerful. But that would be more based on how you use them in the army and what their role is. I don't see Bugman used much unless someone is planning on an Ambush/Strollaz list. As it does end up being a rather a expensive unit that works well when supporting/supported.

#3 Gotrong Gudmundsson

Gotrong Gudmundsson

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 02:30 AM

Problem with Bugman is that he's gonna die real quick, and Bugman Rangers are very expensive, especially when I usually fill all my rare with Irondrakes and Organ Guns!

#4 Ehstevey

Ehstevey

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 04:24 AM

I've actually found preference for Bugman over Irondrakes, especially with Burloksson to add an extra 2d6" to range, or rerolls to hit. Furthermore since they're scouts, you can use them as a perfect outflanking unit.

#5 Narnor

Narnor

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 05:10 AM

Try to use him with 2 shieldbearer Lords in a unit of GW troops (Longbeards or Warriors)
Shieldbearers give +2 wound This edition, and Bugman Can regenerate 1d3 wounds at the beginning at every turn. So while the the GW troops hammer from the back, You have an effektive wall of dwarven Steel and pride, with Bugman giving ale to the unit in second rank!

However, i do not know about the Rangers yet, havent tried Them since i mostly use very few Rangers myself (mostly as Vanguard blockers)

#6 Granitbeard

Granitbeard

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 12:01 PM

I have taken him once this edition in some what a manor as Narnor has stated. I put a Lord on Shieldbearers in front and the unit also got a Runsmith. I used Ironbreakers. Bugman was in the second rank. Yea he lost attacks, but my lord challenged and took two wounds, then got two back, then took one more, then got one back, and he killed the other model after that. Nice little trick. Plus the unit getting +1 toughness once was awesome.

#7 Swordthain

Swordthain

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,004 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 12:49 PM

I use Bugman frequently. I really enjoy ambush armies and use few or no war machines in such lists. At 2500 points, you can include 35 Bugman's Rangers in one unit with full command, and it's an excellent unit, especially if they're supporting a big horde of Longbeards with Strollaz/Stoicism!

#8 madtree

madtree

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 01:33 PM

Thanks for all the feedback. Really helpful. Generally do you favor Scout/Ambush/Strollaz or war machine heavy? I could see how the ambush could really catch your opponent off guard. Drawfs in charge range turn 2.

#9 Gotrong Gudmundsson

Gotrong Gudmundsson

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 04:09 PM

I have taken him once this edition in some what a manor as Narnor has stated. I put a Lord on Shieldbearers in front and the unit also got a Runsmith. I used Ironbreakers. Bugman was in the second rank. Yea he lost attacks, but my lord challenged and took two wounds, then got two back, then took one more, then got one back, and he killed the other model after that. Nice little trick. Plus the unit getting +1 toughness once was awesome.

And all that cost you was 565p, what a deal...? :P

#10 Granitbeard

Granitbeard

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 04:46 PM

And all that cost you was 565p, what a deal...? :P

Yea, but when you fight some one who ignores armor or auto-wounds and ignores armor, then yeah I would spend it all day.

I like to build my army around my characters, it is what I do.

#11 TaxiForBiggins

TaxiForBiggins

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 01:48 AM

I like to build my army around my characters, it is what I do.

With dwarfs, I'm the opposite :) Though I'm starting to sketch out a new TK army and it holds true for them (the 2 ideas I'd like to build around are khalida with 40+ archers, and light council. Also, how awesome is Thy Will Be Done on Tomb Guard!)

#12 Nihmwit

Nihmwit

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 02:12 AM

Honestly?  Not as awesome as TWBD is on 60+ skeletons with spears and Rhamotep the Visionary.  50 WS attacks with rerolls to hit goes a long, long way.  However, if you really want some bang for your buck, run them as Undead Legions, stick a regular necrotec in there for rerolls and a vampire or necromancer with some shadow magic, and hit your target with Miasma to lower WS and Init. 

#13 Ehstevey

Ehstevey

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 03:33 AM

Honestly?  Not as awesome as TWBD is on 60+ skeletons with spears and Rhamotep the Visionary.  50 WS attacks with rerolls to hit goes a long, long way.  However, if you really want some bang for your buck, run them as Undead Legions, stick a regular necrotec in there for rerolls and a vampire or necromancer with some shadow magic, and hit your target with Miasma to lower WS and Init. 

Make those Skeletons into VC Skeletons or Grave Guard and you have a deal, and a 50% discount

woohoo.jpg

Lore of Vampires is still effective for Van Hel's (or just take the Book of Arkhan) then take a lvl1 Liche Priest with LoNehekara. You can March, move (Desert Wind) and move again (Van Hel's).

Drag a Corpse Cart along for those sweet, sweet Vigor Mortis buffs for ASF (so you always get to attack at the same time as those pesky Elves).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bugman, gamming, painting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users