• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 GTRKing72

GTRKing72

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:33 AM

Hey all. I am new to the forums and wasn't sure if this was the area to ask advice for army lists or not. So here I go. I am new to the Warhammer Fantasy franchise and started a dwarf army because hey, Dwarfs are awesome! I am a casual player so I am just looking to play a good all around fun dwarf army. So far this is what I have.

Runelord - I am wanting to put him on an AoD but the question is, what are some good and fun runes to give him?

Dwarf Warriors 16x - Full Command and using hand weapons and shields. I plan on filling the unit out with about 30-40 warriors.

the next unit I am going to buy are Ironbreakers. So the question here is, How should I play them?

Thanks for helping a Noob out!

-GTRKing72

#2 Ozariig

Ozariig

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 03:43 AM

The AoD isn't very popular with our current army book (it's a long story).  The model is cool though, so I definitely don't want to dissuade you.  My best advice would be to try to find a way to make your Runelord dual purpose between the Anvil and the standard 20mmx20mm infantry base (magnets, custom base for the Anvil, or something like that) so you can run your Runelord with one of your units in a pinch.

As for runes, the typical builds are as follows.  These builds also work find for Runesmiths, which are more popular than Runelords because they are cheaper and just as good for Rune of Spellbreaking.

• Ghettosmith: 1-2 Runes of Spellbreaking, and maybe Rune of Stone and a Shield for defense
  • Passagesmith: Shield, Rune of Stone, 1-2 Runes of Spellbreaking, Rune of Passage (useful against Wood Elves)
  • Blingsmith: Shield, Rune of Stone, 1-2 Runes of Spellbreaking, Fiery Ring of Thori
  • Tunesmith: Shield, Rune of Stone, 1-2 Runes of Spellbreaking, Silver Horn of Vengeance

Ironbreakers are very flexible.  They fit into many of our popular list types.  For a Hybrid Gunline approach with warmachines, see the Monty Mash thread.  For a Strollaz (i.e. aggro with infantry) approach, you'll find lots of threads in the Barracks and the Battlefield.  I think SubTwo's reports tell a good story, though he used Hammerers instead of Ironbreakers.  You'll find a lot of good Hammerer vs. Ironbreaker discussion, including roles and usage, in the thread in the Tavern.

Edited by Ozariig, 25 August 2014 - 03:44 AM.

#3 cptfluffy

cptfluffy

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 03:44 AM

Hey GTR! Welcome to the Brewery.

As you want to be a Casual player, I won't go too crazy on what you "Need" and don't (Which is all subjective anyway). For the purpose of getting the biggest bang for your buck. If you can find one of the recently discontinued Battalion boxes that had a cannon/OG 2 units of warriors and a unit of quarreller/thunderers that it would be best, might be able to find one on ebay. Otherwise, I would recommend getting at least 1cannon, then search through our "Forge" section on how to make the model magnetized so you can switch out cannon/OG. Might seem like some work, but you'll save money.

War Machines are our money makers. No matter the pt level you're going to have one (Unless you are playing Ambush/themed). If IBs are what you want next then go for it. If you were planning on setting all your warriors as HW/S then might want to look into Hammerers or Longbeards to have some GWs for some punch!

As for the Runelord, if you want to have fun playing the AoD... you're 6months too late. Go track down the last edition book if you want to have fun with it. You can still try it, but overall the in game cost is far to much for what you get. But that's getting more into competitive play. It's just a pricey model that's not great right now.

Edited by cptfluffy, 25 August 2014 - 04:30 AM.

#4 TaxiForBiggins

TaxiForBiggins

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 04:15 AM

AoD is terrible for competitive play and also no good for 'fun' (casual) play because, well, it's not fun. Why? It's not fun because it's a large points investment on something that your opponent will continually dispel. It won't ever be fun because it won't ever do anything worthwhile, unless your opponent is devoid of magic. OK maybe that's a bit disingenuous.. it might work sometimes, but usually it won't.

Even without an anvil, runelords are a bit pricey for what they bring. That said, they are incredibly flavorful and can be made quite tanky, so go for it! I have a Kragg the Grim model I usually use as a runesmith, but that seems unfair on the old guy so I intend to run him as a runelord some time soon.

#5 GTRKing72

GTRKing72

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:25 AM

Thanks for the advice guys! I think a few forums I read on the AoD were probably out of date lol. I was just looking for a way to beef up my Runelord in a fun way. Really appreciate the help so far!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dwarfs, armylist, advice, help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users