Photo

Take A Look At My First Painting Attempt. Please Leave Some Criticisms And Tips On How To Improve.

painting dwarf dwarf army painting dwarf painting dwarf warriors

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sideshot

sideshot

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 09:20 PM

I decided to start painting my army. Please take a look and suggest how i could improve. Also are they table ready, i think they look pretty good!http://imgur.com/a/EqVN9

#2 The Main Thane

The Main Thane

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:39 PM

Good for first set of models mate, remember it takes a good few months of painting until you se major improvements. Remember to use washes and also layer lighter colours for a neater effect.

#3 sideshot

sideshot

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 01:22 AM

What wash do you recommend? I tried making my own, mixing paint, water, and soap together, and i didn't really see a difference in quality.

#4 TaxiForBiggins

TaxiForBiggins

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:58 AM

For catch-all washes, I recommend the old devlan mud and badab black. They are OOP, but The Army Painter Strong Tone Ink and Dark Tone Ink are exact matches. Others might suggest alternatives.

If you really want, The Army Painter sells a dip. Paint your dudes just as you have, dip em in (or paint), shake off, wait 24 hrs, dull-coat spray, then final highlight. THat said, even if you want to dip (and dipping well gives fast, excellent results), I think everyone needs to learn to paint properly first.

#5 Janwin

Janwin

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:51 PM

Not bad at all for your first go.  Definitely playable, and a good scheme you're going with, so you've got a good idea on where to use various colors to make it look right.

I'd recommend going perhaps a little lighter with your blue.  It looks a little thick on the standard and the back of that one guy.

A quick and easy way to make the beards on dwarves pop is to use a lighter shade drybrushed over the base beard color, too.  So on those dark brown beards, you could lightly drybrush some lighter brown on it and it'd give it some depth.

Overall?  Well done on your first try!

#6 sideshot

sideshot

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 03:37 PM

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I'll be going to the store soon and buying some more colors. I bought some washes last week, and they bring the details out, now i need to go buy some lighter colors for highlighting! 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: painting, dwarf, dwarf army, painting dwarf, painting dwarf warriors

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users