• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Rezyn

Rezyn

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:38 PM

Has anyone tried a big block of Irondrakes with Grimm?

I have heard of people taking him with Quarrellers and Thunderers but never drakes before.  I would think his ability to allow them to either get greater range or reroll wounds would compliment them really well and maybe justify taking a larger block then normal?

Just wondered if anyone had tried this before and what they felt of the combo.

Thanks!

#2 Maetco

Maetco

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:56 PM

I tried it once. Grimm + 30 Irondrakes with 2*RoS. I also deployed my BSB with Strollaz in that unit and the BSB left during turn 1. Grimm survived 4 rounds and failed his Master of Accuracy roll twice (turns 1 and 3). So I can't really say how effective his reroll ability should be (if one doesn't roll as bad as I did). But the fact that even without much help from Grimm I won the match easily should say something about the effectiveness 30 Irondrakes with 2*RoS and Strollaz. For some reason I can't remember what faction I was playing against but I remember there being lots of infrantry.

#3 Rezyn

Rezyn

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:27 PM

30 drakes wow! thats a big unit.  I was thinking 20 simply because of their points cost, but 30 sounds like a sight to see.

The strollaz idea is a great one, getting them into range faster.  I can totally see that being a nasty shooting phase for any unit on the receiving end. 

#4 Halfmad

Halfmad

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:37 PM

I haven't tried it yet but definitely intend to.  Important to note: Grimm can only give the Drakes the reroll, not the increased range =/

#5 Gotrong Gudmundsson

Gotrong Gudmundsson

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:40 PM

I don't think it's worth it, honestly. It sounds amazing on paper, but in reality 20 shots that reroll to hit only results in 4 more hits... which isn't all that amazing, considering you pay quite the premium to get it. True, Grimm has a pretty decent gun himself, but his ability only works on a 2+ which I find... not so nice at all.

I'm more tempted to use Grimm with 1 Organ Gun and 15-20 Thunderers/Quarrellers. With Rune of Accuracy on the OG, he'll be hitting things on 2+ even at over half (INSANE). Can also shoot things in hard cover! More often than not, the Organ Guns are taken out relatively early since they're crazy scary for the opponent, and then I'd switch Grimm from supporting the Organ Gun to supporting the big unit of Thunderers/Quarrellers.

Thunderers in particular I think synergize well with him. Increased range for when they need to shoot far, and when things are in range, the reroll to hit with the S4 AP is quite neat.

#6 Maetco

Maetco

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:10 PM

30 drakes wow! thats a big unit.  I was thinking 20 simply because of their points cost, but 30 sounds like a sight to see.

The strollaz idea is a great one, getting them into range faster.  I can totally see that being a nasty shooting phase for any unit on the receiving end. 

Yep, Strollaz almost quarantees they'll be shooting every round until they are forced into CC. The RoS is there to help them shoot twice a round.

#7 Ehstevey

Ehstevey

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:06 AM

I prefer to see Grimm with Quarrellers or Bugmans Rangers. The additional range buff is just too good to give up when no unit can hide from you on the board (unless they're completely out of LoS).

Irondrakes requires you to roll up the board to get within range, I wouldn't risk him being in that 18" range (especially in the front rank where he can be picked off with a lucky charge). If he was in a secondary unit directly behind or beside it supporting the Irondrakes (as he doesn't have to give the ability to the unit he has joined) that might work better.

#8 Roedskaegg

Roedskaegg

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:55 PM

Tried once in a three game tournament. Had him in the drakes just beside my OG to use the effects where it was most needed. I think it was pretty nice but not sure about the cost. I have done no calculations but putting those points in another OG or more drakes I think would work just aswell. That is, if you don't use any form of comp system. 

#9 Maetco

Maetco

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:44 AM

Tried once in a three game tournament. Had him in the drakes just beside my OG to use the effects where it was most needed. I think it was pretty nice but not sure about the cost. I have done no calculations but putting those points in another OG or more drakes I think would work just aswell. That is, if you don't use any form of comp system. 

There is always a tradeoff between many worse units and few better units. Which is better always depends on the rest of your list, your opponent's list and the Terrain. In general I tend to go for fewer better units just because it makes deployment easier and with Dwarfs deployment is particularly important thanks to our tremendous speed.

#10 Grumpy Runelord

Grumpy Runelord

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 10:43 AM

Grimm can make one unit within 3" reroll failed to hit. Can this unit be a warmachine? An Organ Gun?

#11 Marauder guy

Marauder guy

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:11 AM

I would say no grumpy, but maybe in cc?

#12 Maetco

Maetco

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:02 AM

Grimm can make one unit within 3" reroll failed to hit. Can this unit be a warmachine? An Organ Gun?

I don't see why not. Master of Accuracy can target any Friendly Unit within 3'' and Superior Volley does not exclude Warmachines. I would use Artillery Adjustment over Superior Volley with Organ Guns, though.

Edited by Maetco, 10 August 2014 - 08:02 AM.

#13 Grumpy Runelord

Grumpy Runelord

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:51 AM

I've allways belived Warmachine was a unit, but yesterday I got in a almost heated discussion during a game. 
Grimm was fun.

First game was vs Vamps. He snapped and destroyed the Vamps fencer blades. He also helped my quarrellers so they could shoot at short range at 18". His gun shot down a unit of dire wolfes.

Second game was vs Lizards. He tried to help the Organ Gun, but decided not to, as tempers flared. Instead he canged the Grapeshot roll from 4 to 8, and then combined with the grapeshot he killed a pack of skinks. Also in this game he help quarrellers to fire longer against some flyers I cant remember.

Not sure he is worth the points at 2400. Only thing is we can use Organ Gun without runes and still hit with BS5 with one artydie re-roll. That might be fun against BoWD.

#14 Montegue

Montegue

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 01:54 AM

A war machine is absolutely a unit.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: grimm burloksson, irondrakes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users