Photo

What Other Units Would You Like Dwarfs To Have?

dwarf units wish need want gronti duraz gronti duraz cavalry magic

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#21 Foe-Hammer

Foe-Hammer

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:43 AM

I can't see Warhammer Dwarfs on mounts. Other Dwarfs absolutely, but not Warhammer Dwarfs. :scooter:

I think that if we got any mount beyond the type of things we have (shields, Rocks, Chairs, Thrones, etc) we should of gotten something like a Tankette. Little mini tanks, made for tunnels, but had enough armor to hit up the battle field. Give it some kind of hull mounted Handgun, and let it move and shoot. Let it move like a Chariot, but allow it to go through any terrain. Toughness 5 or 6, special kind of grind attack where it does d3 hits at something like str4 or 5. and a 3+ armor save. That would of worked for me.

But like IGS just said, yea a light mortar team would work.

I could see that, similar to the Skaven Doom Flayer or even the Doom Wheel... But I still want armored bear cav. :P

#22 TaxiForBiggins

TaxiForBiggins

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:03 AM

What about an engineer wagon? It would be like a chariot, and can have a choice of weapons mounted on the back - Mini organgun (cannon grapeshot rules), bolt thrower, steam gun, clatter gun. The ponies wouldn't get attacks, but it could have scythes and maybe some other form of dwarfish enhancement. To get more melee attacks you could even have an option of a slayer upgrade - a guy that literally stands on the ponies, straddling them, charging into combat.

Seems like the kind of thing you could gear towards either a mobile WM or a melee hammer... and provide some other movement capabilities for the army. Could have even been an optional mount for a ME

#23 Glyfi Ironbeard

Glyfi Ironbeard

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:06 AM

Doom seekers!

#24 Ehstevey

Ehstevey

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:54 AM

I've said this before but also:

Giant steam-powered drilling machine. Works well with the fluff (old vs. new, miners vs. giant new fangled machine to grumble about). Dual kit it with a Steam Roller like in Blood Bowl w/ mad engineer on top. Drag some of the rules from the steam engine to allow both to chew through units in combat.

#25 MasterDisaster

MasterDisaster

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:06 AM

I've always loved the idea of Bear Cavarly. Especially as my Dwarf in Warcraft rides a giant black bear. :D

Really though Golems is something I've always liked to have seen in our army. Something Monstrous and nasty to contend with other big gribbles. MI, MC or just a Monster. Anything along those lines would be cool and I think Golems (Think Dwarvern Ushabti but better than Ushabti coz they suck!) would be the way forward.

I'd also like to see an Anvil of Doom worth taking! I've always wanted to try one, I've always liked the model but I'ev never been able to bring myself to buy into one. Perhaps if they gave it the option to join units on a wheeled chariot like the Screaming Bell or Cauldron of Blood. Drop it's points by 30-40 for the basic version and if you want it to be mobile pay the points (30-40) to pimp it out and have it in some sort of mobile platform so it can join units and provide a passive benefit as well as the usual rune striking powers. Also some sort of 7 spell lore for the anvil could be a cool idea. 6-7 Bound spells varying in difficulty. Say 1 Magic Missile, 2 Direct Damage, 1 Hex and 2 Augments. 

Overall though I think the Dwarfs have a very nice range of models. I was just disappointed to see the Slayers didn't get an overhaul into a plastic kit. 

Edited by MasterDisaster, 22 July 2014 - 08:07 AM.

#26 Cuthbo

Cuthbo

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:55 AM

I second bear cavalry. Just check out the amazing Scibor Bear Cavalry for a vision of what could have been...

#27 Birdbeard

Birdbeard

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:07 PM

I absolutely hate the idea of bear cavalry.. :P They don't do well in rocky terrain, they run faster uphill than down hill..

They just have too much personality to be used as mounts I think. They can sit, and stand on two legs.. I just.. No. Think it looks ridiculous :P

I do think Ram cavalry would work though. Rams bigger than the dwarfs.

Grumble grumble..

The chariot idea is fantastic. I have always been jealous of WoC ability to spam chariots from core..

Though I don't think Dwarfs should be able to do that. Warmachine chariot would be really really cool though.

#28 Rael

Rael

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:07 PM

Would love dwarf boar riders!

#29 Foe-Hammer

Foe-Hammer

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:12 PM

What about an engineer wagon? It would be like a chariot, and can have a choice of weapons mounted on the back - Mini organgun (cannon grapeshot rules), bolt thrower, steam gun, clatter gun. The ponies wouldn't get attacks, but it could have scythes and maybe some other form of dwarfish enhancement. To get more melee attacks you could even have an option of a slayer upgrade - a guy that literally stands on the ponies, straddling them, charging into combat.

Seems like the kind of thing you could gear towards either a mobile WM or a melee hammer... and provide some other movement capabilities for the army. Could have even been an optional mount for a ME

In one of the Gotrek and Felix novels (Dragon Slayer, I think...) an engineer had a wagon with an organ gun mounted on the back.  Although... opponents HATE organ guns, so I can just imagine all of the complaining about a mobile organ gun in a Dwarf army, LOL!   :devil:

#30 Bran Loki

Bran Loki

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:08 PM

i want my old anvil march back (boo-hoo)

i want bound spells in items like ironbreaker/hammerer/irondrake unit banners.

i want runesmiths with bound spells in items.

i want a zeppelin troop carrier.

i want goblin-hewer, goblobber, and fire throwers back.

i love shield-wall, it is a great alternative option to GW. 

i love new gyrocopters, and bombers (the price and rules, not the models)

i would love most of all a dwarfen version of the mangler-squig/goblin fanatics made of steel, steam turbines and axes to decimate the enemy lines before the dwarfs went into close combat.  

^signed

As Karak Hirn clan player I would like to see more units for conservative dwarf holds who do not favor engineering guilds as much as many other holds do, that would diversify our army stratagems a bit more.

And do not see dwarfs' cavalry, no rams, no damn ponies please, no mechanical mini-copters or ostriches :wallbash:

Flying transport will be too much for dwarfs in both rule wise and lore-wise aspects. Rule-wise it's too game-changing option, some serious limitations would be required, fluff-wise - who will find enough crazy dwarfs to fly on that thing? Gyrocopter corps are low on volunteers for pilots courses, speaking not about passengers, pfff, dwarfs have no business in the sky.

I would suggest some engineering mix of steam tank and mining-drill tunneling-machine with transport capacity - good 'ol underground digging, without crazy ideas of flying. Some upgrade for master engineer, I think. Imagine it popping out from the underground on the turn 2-3, unloading angry dwarfs and continuing to mince enemy troops - priceless!

IMG_7678.jpg

If transporting troops is too much I'd suggest roadheader instead of tanks.

12CM27-Underground.jpg

#31 Roedskaegg

Roedskaegg

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:25 PM

I would have liked a chariot with the new book, something like a mining cart with an armored pony or ram, M6 probably. Also boundspells, gromril armor on hammerers, rangers with skirmish, some way to boost movement that is not single use like Strollaz. Banner/boundspell with +1M or som fancy charge rule. Survivabillity for slayers. 

#32 Pellegrim

Pellegrim

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:34 PM

Always think there are 'good' giants up in the world of warhammer, as there are evil giants. These good giants would provide services, such as heavy engineering, for the dwarves, in exchange for tools. And then fit them out in full armour with great great hammer, and have a 350+ points piece of rock. I guess it's like big gollem's.

#33 stuntyogre

stuntyogre

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:42 PM

I just want the Anvil back please. Also Bear Cav would be cool, maybe with Hatred (Oges) for the mounts since the Mournfang and Sabretusks have driven these noble creatures from the Mountains of Mourn and we have taken them in. I'm not talking wild bears I'm talking like bears that are almost on the same level of intelligence as the other races.

M5 WS4 BS3 S5 T5 W2 I2 A2 Ld8

Adds +2 for being mounted with Impact Hits (1) Troop Type: War Beast

#34 Birdbeard

Birdbeard

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:45 PM

I was kind of hyped for a "tunneling machine" or a delivery system for troops before the book came out. (What happned to all those playtested units..)
People want survivability for slayers, but if we had a troop delivery system that would work just as well wouldn’t it?

@ Pellegrim like (Goliaths?) and Dwarf in DnD! That would be cool, but I’m sad that they haven’t given us a chance to use “Gronti Duraz”.
They exist in the lore! We just haven’t gotten to use them yet.. They are stone rune golems though..

#35 thormon

thormon

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 142 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:21 PM

I want my gnomes back. (Go-go 3rd edition!)

And the goblin throwing option for the stone thrower.

#36 TaxiForBiggins

TaxiForBiggins

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:40 PM

In one of the Gotrek and Felix novels (Dragon Slayer, I think...) an engineer had a wagon with an organ gun mounted on the back. Although... opponents HATE organ guns, so I can just imagine all of the complaining about a mobile organ gun in a Dwarf army, LOL! :devil:

Where do you thing I got the idea? ;)

Yes it was Dragon Slayer

#37 Alrik Ogregrudge

Alrik Ogregrudge

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:57 PM

I like all these ideas. Except mounted Dwarfs. Dwarfs don't use mounts. Dwarfs carry heavier loads, can march for weeks on end and are just a bit more stubborn than horses. Read Gotrek and Felix "vampire slayer" where Gotrek and Snorri pull a coach for days like it's nothing special. And if they should have mounts, they should be mechanical. Not that it would be close to practical or that I would want it, but atleast a mechanical mount is made by a Dwarf, which can't be said for horses. Or goats for that matter, unless you have tried and ended up with the Krut.

:happy:

All that I really used to wish for was a Golem... nothing more. With the new book out I wish for a worthwhile Anvil of Doom and a Golem. :(

Some halfling (skirmisher) archers would be a cool way to add some flavour too, they could be our cheap version of movable ranged unit

On a side note... did we not already have like a 130 page long, pre-8th ed armybook wishlist? :o

#38 Southern Dwarf

Southern Dwarf

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:59 PM

I wanted hunting-hounds.  Nothing special, M7, WS3, S3, T3, A1, 5 points a model, 5+ in a unit.  I figured Dwarves would be avid hunters, up there in the mountains full of monsters and game. Raising hounds would be natural for this.  It would also give us a unit faster than M3 and cheaper than a gyro for diverting and chaff.

Rune golems, either as M4 T5 W3 monsterous infantry, or as M6 T6 W5 monsters should have been a no-brainer for GW.  Probably both, as they would have filled useful niches in our army.  A cannon-chariot belongs with Dwarves more than it ever should with Ogres and Daemons, though there are too many of these in the game already.

#39 Ehstevey

Ehstevey

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:16 AM

I wanted hunting-hounds.  Nothing special, M7, WS3, S3, T3, A1, 5 points a model, 5+ in a unit.  I figured Dwarves would be avid hunters, up there in the mountains full of monsters and game. Raising hounds would be natural for this.  It would also give us a unit faster than M3 and cheaper than a gyro for diverting and chaff.

I'm having flashbacks to Dwarf Fortress with this idea :P

The main issue is scaling. Most medium sized dogs would be chest-high for Dwarfs and look fairly off. Most of the breeds which may be proportioned right are things like Basset Hounds, which are scent dogs, not attack dogs.

Perhaps badgers or ravenous moles? :P

I still agree there should be more chaff units, and that the ranger aspect of dwarf society should be explored more in depth.

#40 Southern Dwarf

Southern Dwarf

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:10 AM

I'm having flashbacks to Dwarf Fortress with this idea :P

The main issue is scaling. Most medium sized dogs would be chest-high for Dwarfs and look fairly off. Most of the breeds which may be proportioned right are things like Basset Hounds, which are scent dogs, not attack dogs.

Perhaps badgers or ravenous moles? :P

I still agree there should be more chaff units, and that the ranger aspect of dwarf society should be explored more in depth.

I never considered the height element, and to be honest, I'm not sure it's such an issue.  So the dogs are big compared to their masters, that's fine.  Dwarves might be shorter, but they weigh as much or more than a human, the difference being a lot of bone and muscle.  I think they can handle a Rottweiler, Alsation or wolfhound type dog.

I'd also loved to have seen Raven Swarms, like VC bat swarms (maybe not with ASL), again to use as chaff.  In fantasy, or at least Tolkein, Dwarves get on well with Ravens. 

The important thing is that these give us something that isn't a war machine, a M3 infantry block or a single flying machine.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dwarf, units, wish, need, want, gronti duraz, gronti, duraz, cavalry, magic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users