Photo

What Other Units Would You Like Dwarfs To Have?

dwarf units wish need want gronti duraz gronti duraz cavalry magic

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 Birdbeard

Birdbeard

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:16 PM

"What if we got to choose from more units" / "What kind of units would you add to dwarfs"?

Make a wish! Describe the unit.

I know a lot of us wish dwarfs had units that the longbeards would frown upon in disgust.

Like Dwarf magic, cavalry, or monsters.

I kinda wish we had all of those, just that they where working a lot differently than regular armies.

I could see a Runelord be a lv 2 "wizard", that only could choose from a limited dwarf lore, with low casting values,

and buffs. (WITHOUT the damn Anvil.) Maybe he would need to pay over a 100 points for an anvil

to get spells on equal level with other casters, but he'd still be a level 2.

I think I might like that.

Another thing is dwarf cavalry. Not bears, or any mechanical walkers, but say Dwarf RAM cavalry.

M5 S4 Rams with Impact hits, and Dwarfs on them, in the rare section. Probably stubborn.

It could be a fluffy alternative method of transport that some dwarfs now use instead of the underway. These guys would be rare like rangers, as they are probably a little wacky compared to regular dwarfs.

They would bound with these hairy, stout, and old creatures, and help each other around the mountain side. I like it.

(We let beardlings ride flying fish, and they are in Special!)

Another thing I was so hyped about in the release of the current book was Gronti Duraz.

A Dwarf stone golem. These things have been hinted around now a couple of places.

They are supposed to be legendary ancient ancestral golems, that are hard to wake.

M  WS  BS  S  T  W  I  A  Ld

*   5     0   5  7   5  3  4  10

Ancestral Grudge, Slumbering, Requires Runelord, Ancient Ward, Monster, Unbreakable.

Slumbering: At the start of a friendly movement phase roll a artillery dice.

The result determines the Golems movement until the next friendly movement phase.

In case of a misfire result the following table:

6: The golem has movement (5), and gains the (Frenzy) special rule until the next friendly movement phase.

5-4: The golem has movement (2) until the next friendly movement phase.

3-2: The golem cannot move at all this turn.
1: The golem has fallen asleep for the next millennia. Remove the golem as a casualty, following all normal rules.

Requires Runelord: If a Runelord is not present in the army a golem cannot be taken as a unit choice.

In addition if a Runelord is removed as a casualty the golem rolls on the Artillery Dice, and "Slumbering chart" at a minus 2.

(To a minimum of M (0) ).

Ancient Ward: The golem has a (5+) Ward save, (3+) Armor save, and has MR(3)

The golem may choose between weapon runes for a total of 100 points.

What do you guys think?

Edit: Fixed grammar mistakes.

Edited by Birdbeard, 13 July 2014 - 09:20 PM.

#2 Relssum

Relssum

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:14 PM

Doomseekers

They were a unit released for a GW campaign called "Storm of Chaos".  A single slayer whirling about with bladed chains.

Special Character Malakai Makaisson (hopefully I spelled that right)

He was from the same campaign.   A slayer engineer that came onto the field with his own unique war machine, "The Goblin Hewer".  

Edited by Relssum, 13 July 2014 - 11:14 PM.

#3 Essmir Ulv

Essmir Ulv

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:19 AM

I like the golem but you shud add a steam tank to the list. :)

#4 Granitbeard

Granitbeard

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:13 AM

This again.....

If anything a Zepplin

#5 TaxiForBiggins

TaxiForBiggins

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:25 AM

I just wanted.... something different. Something that could add a totally new dimension, be it cavalry, a monster, 'magic' that will see any reasonable amount of play (...).... just something that's not a WM, 3-M troops or a gyro... Instead we got another 3-M and another gyro. 

Heck, even more runic options.... what about 'runic weapons' upgrade for +1S? What about 'runic armour' for +1AS? There's a precedent set in the novels for whole units with runic armaments, so why not? What about 'Rune of Fleetness' banner? :)

#6 Foe-Hammer

Foe-Hammer

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:21 AM

Would have really liked to have access to something large, like golems or a zepplin... a nice centerpiece.

#7 thorgrim_thunderbarrel

thorgrim_thunderbarrel

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:53 AM

Golems are my biggest wish list item, but I think ram cav and dwarf priests with some limited healing ability are also both good, appropriate options.

#8 Magni Flamebeard

Magni Flamebeard

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,209 posts
Contributor

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:04 AM

Bound spells for Runesmiths/Runelords and some sort of golem Monstrous Infantry or Monster would have ticked all my boxes without changing too much about the army's look or fluff. A monster, if not a golem than the wishlist Tunneling Machine would have been nice. And if nothing else, some of the Slayer options from the Storm of Chaos army list for which there are actual models, such as Doomseekers and a Slayer skill tree would have added so much to the new book.

#9 Ehstevey

Ehstevey

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:06 AM

Grudge Riders: Dwarf Elites on Gromril-armoured Grudge Ponies (maybe only M6 but not slowed by Barding)

Or even,

Mountaineers: Rangers on Mountain Goats zipping around with some sort of special ranged weapon (sling or hand crossbow maybe) and the ability to ignore dangerous terrain.

#10 Skag the Stealthy

Skag the Stealthy

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:00 AM

I want to see,

Slayers given the skirmish rule. (a little harder to shoot, a little more maneuverable, good flank protection troops) 

Doomseeker unit option or character option maybe or unit upgrade option.  Not certain which one I prefer.

Units of Gyrocopters, these would be our Monstrous unit choice (like the Pegasus knights).  Stomp from the bombs, monstrous support and ranks, fast moving, flame template steam guns, 3W, 4+ save, skirmishers due to being flying cavalry so harder to shoot.  GW would have sold an absolute truck load of the new gyrocopters.

A grumble/

The gyrobomber should have been our large kit (or just make it a zepp)  I was in the local GW store on the weekend, and looking at the shelves every army has a large boxed individual monster type thing, some have three.  The dwarves don't have any large boxed individual center piece models.  It just screams WTF to me.  The dwarves are also missing any units on chariot style bases.  So as I left the store, depressed at comparing the available ranges of other armies to dwarves my final thought was, why isn't the bomber a bit larger and released in a box by itself and based on a chariot base, why isn't there a large model like a zepp to be the center piece, why isn't there a combined box with anvil and throne of power for generic rune lords/lords based on a chariot base, why wasn't the gyro in a box set of two gyros and filling the MI role for us.  It would have been so simple to have matched up the dwarf release with all the other armies...sigh

#11 Birdbeard

Birdbeard

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:19 PM

I pretty much agree wholeheartedly with TaxiForBiggins & Skag.

Dwarfs didn't bring any surprise to anyone, we just have more of the same stuff as before.

I have to spend 200 pts - 300 pts on magic defense characters that give me MR & armor piercing. Armor piercing is nice for my S4 guys,

but the opponent gets to participate in another phase, and has a good chance of getting to do something absolutely devastating to me.

Runesmiths are not as useless as they used to be (But the Anvil is a rock..), as as I said I still have to take them every game just to not die.

They don't benefit me alone enough to even consider. A normal wizard can take a scroll, and anti magic stuff too..

The opponent does not need to change his tactic against me unless I am running Strollaz, and is better than him in cc.

If he is better than me is cc he'l just laugh and wonder why I didn't sit and shoot him.

Gyro spam did help to get some presence for board control, but they are still the prime targets of any t3 army, so they don't last long.

I want a Golem to say "Hey I'm a threat to you", or cavalry to flank charge, or hold up stuff..

Even if both of these things where in the rare section, and were "dwarphyfied" to tough low movement cav/monsters.

A big scary zeppelin with multiple guns could be cool too.

Rant over.

#12 Montegue

Montegue

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 01:02 PM

Allies in 9 th will set me free if it happens. Counts-as is king.

#13 Reka Dvegrsson

Reka Dvegrsson

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:13 PM

This talk of rams and mountain goats has made me want to convert one as a unit filler for my rangers...

Edit: should have clarified that I meant as a pack animal, not to be ridden.

Edited by Reka Dvegrsson, 15 July 2014 - 06:20 PM.

#14 Foe-Hammer

Foe-Hammer

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:25 PM

I can't see Warhammer Dwarfs on mounts.  Other Dwarfs absolutely, but not Warhammer Dwarfs.   :scooter:

#15 Birdbeard

Birdbeard

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:56 PM

I could not picture dwarfs with mounts very well either, but Warcrafts art sold the idea to me. Big stout majestic rams(big goats).

I like the idea better than mechanical mounts. In the game it could sorta work as a low movement cavalry unit,

with impact hits (as they are heavy, and got big horns.) Probably M5-6 S4 T4 or something.

#16 Foe-Hammer

Foe-Hammer

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 06:15 PM

For me, the only mount that I could see Warhammer Dwarfs on are armored bears.  If that ever happened, I would get them!  

#17 Grim1

Grim1

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:31 PM

.... are we getting a new book already????

i want my old anvil march back (boo-hoo)

i want bound spells in items like ironbreaker/hammerer/irondrake unit banners.

i want runesmiths with bound spells in items.

i want a zeppelin troop carrier.

i want goblin-hewer, goblobber, and fire throwers back.

i love shield-wall, it is a great alternative option to GW. 

i love new gyrocopters, and bombers (the price and rules, not the models)

i would love most of all a dwarfen version of the mangler-squig/goblin fanatics made of steel, steam turbines and axes to decimate the enemy lines before the dwarfs went into close combat.  

#18 IGS

IGS

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:43 AM

A core war machine.  Something light duty like a skaven machine crew. 

Maybe two guys with a little portable mortar or something.

Edited by IGS, 22 July 2014 - 12:56 AM.

#19 Granitbeard

Granitbeard

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:17 AM

I can't see Warhammer Dwarfs on mounts.  Other Dwarfs absolutely, but not Warhammer Dwarfs.   :scooter:

I think that if we got any mount beyond the type of things we have (shields, Rocks, Chairs, Thrones, etc) we should of gotten something like a Tankette. Little mini tanks, made for tunnels, but had enough armor to hit up the battle field. Give it some kind of hull mounted Handgun, and let it move and shoot. Let it move like a Chariot, but allow it to go through any terrain. Toughness 5 or 6, special kind of grind attack where it does d3 hits at something like str4 or 5. and a 3+ armor save. That would of worked for me.

But like IGS just said, yea a light mortar team would work.

#20 Thorgrimtheunyielding

Thorgrimtheunyielding

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:41 AM

A blacksmithing unit. They'd wield hammers. They won't be like hammerers (no great weapons), so they would dual wield hammers. The champion would be known as a "Forge Father". They'd have flaming attacks and they would grant an advantage to units within a six inch range (Armor piercing, flaming attack, or a 1+ on an armor save.) They would be either a special or rare choice. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dwarf, units, wish, need, want, gronti duraz, gronti, duraz, cavalry, magic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users