6 replies to this topic

#1 The Grim Delver

The Grim Delver

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:39 PM

Just read the entry for blasting charges again and in the note underneath it says

"Note that the entire unit must throw their blasting charges at the same time"

I assumed it was only the first two ranks, as with other missile weapons. Does this mean that if I have a unit of 30 miners with blasting charges, that the whole 30 can throw them as a stand and shoot?

If so, miners might actually be handy to have in the battleline and not used in ambush at all.

Also, can someone clarify that if they are not deployed in ambush, can they be joined by characters?

#2 GrudgeBringer

GrudgeBringer

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 12:48 AM

If a unit has the ambush rule then they must ambush, they dont get a choice. Wood elf glade riders are quite poor now because of it.

#3 Murphey

Murphey

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 01:10 AM

They also still only throw them two ranks deep. The rest are lost. If you take them at all, field small units of miners, or run them 2 deep and very wide.

#4 The Grim Delver

The Grim Delver

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 08:09 AM

If a unit has the ambush rule then they must ambush, they dont get a choice. Wood elf glade riders are quite poor now because of it.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies.

It says in the miner profile that units with the underground advance special rule can, (not must), deploy using the ambushers special rule.

Does this mean that, because their rule is technically a different rule, aka underground advance, that they are exempt from the standard ambushers rule? Sorry don´t have the rulebook with me at the moment.

They also still only throw them two ranks deep. The rest are lost. If you take them at all, field small units of miners, or run them 2 deep and very wide.

I figured so. Still it would have been nice to stand and shoot 40 or so blasting charges at str 4 AP.

#5 Wendersnaven

Wendersnaven

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,874 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 08:48 AM

That sounds reasonable, but I guess I have been interpreting it as the entire unit lobbing them into the enemy in a parabola of sorts- so 20 strong is 20 charges. Even with my optomistic interpretation the reduced Str. of the charge this edition makes them not even worth it. So if they are only firing in two ranks yet you have to pay for every dwarph to take them then they are a complete waste of points.

We've mathhammered these pretty good in other threads, and even in the optimum scenario where the miners are in a tower, the enemy has lost CC and is 1" away as the entire unit throws them- they still stink. Sad panda time...

#6 Murphey

Murphey

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 01:28 AM

I agree. The short range, price per model, one use, needs to roll to hit, lower strength version is horrible.

#7 Granitbeard

Granitbeard

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 01:50 AM

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies.

It says in the miner profile that units with the underground advance special rule can, (not must), deploy using the ambushers special rule.

Does this mean that, because their rule is technically a different rule, aka underground advance, that they are exempt from the standard ambushers rule? Sorry don´t have the rulebook with me at the moment.

I figured so. Still it would have been nice to stand and shoot 40 or so blasting charges at str 4 AP.

Yes, they don't have to use the ambush rule. We got lucky in that we can choose. And if the start on the table in your deployment zone there is nothing stopping you from putting a character there.

The Blasting charges are a big let down. The only good thing I could see them used for it if you buy a small unit say 10-12 and ambush them in, and the get charged by some chaff that your opponent is trying to warmachine/back field guard with, then they might get a few pre combat wounds done, but not too many.  Now if GW ever stops FAQ-ing 40k stuff and gets some Fantasy FAQs done( I mean come on, the 7th ed 40k BRB has been out for less time then the Dwarf and other fantasy books, yet all the 40k armies and supplements got 7th ed 40k FAQs in no time flat), then we might get a reasonable answer as to what was meant by the oddities in our army book, unless the next edition changes how things work.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: miner, blast

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users